speed limiter

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I drive a ST in and out of Canada all the time without a limiter, but my truck has a mechanical engine.

Sent from my DROID X2

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I think it very considerate of the very polite Canadian drivers of 4 wheelers to also follow the 100 kph speed limit and not bopping, weaving and speeding like Americans. )

I think ONT. & QC. drivers are the worst offenders of this. Every where else up north they seem to drive more responsibly.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This is true.. only these two

And you can add me into the mix whenever I get my first load into Canada. I'm gonna get a really big push bumper soon so that I can just knock miata's right out of my way when I am trying to break through traffic congestion!

60MPH

Expert Expediter
If you're governed at 65 and cannot go any faster, why would you drive as fast as possible if there were any circumstance where you might need to go, you know, faster? If you're driving as fast as you can, blow a steer, and suddenly need more power, you're kinda screwed, aren't ya? <snort>

Because to many drivers out here have PDS (Pedal Down Syndrome). Them steering wheel holders (most large company employed class A drivers) believe they are not getting anywhere unless there foot is planted on the floor roaring down the road up against the governor at 62-68mph. These drivers "CAN" be worse then 4 wheeler's at times, definitely on hilly roads, such as I-84 in PA. I love running that road for the scenery but some of them drivers just can't let me be @ 57-58mph. You know you got to drag-in-fly if ya have a heavy load :rolleyes: don't-ya-know. I guess they never heard of being in the proper gear and proper speed BEFORE starting the grade.:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And you can add me into the mix whenever I get my first load into Canada. I'm gonna get a really big push bumper soon so that I can just knock miata's right out of my way when I am trying to break through traffic congestion!

I cut my teeth on Toronto traffic...No worse then anywhere else at any given time....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So I would like to know when did they repeal that speed limiter law?

Today I am coming home and was passing a truck, I was doing 70 (the speed limit) and had a Canadian truck on my a**. Once I got past the truck and into the other lane, he passed me - he had to be doing 80. A little while later I was passed again and again it was another Canadian truck doing well over 75, maybe around 80 - I was doing my usual 63.

On the way back into Michigan, I was watching a few Canadians pass cars in the far left lane and the only thing that slowed them down was the scale on the NB side of 75.

I don't know what makes them in such a hurry but maybe we need to start looking at enforcing that speed limiter law for these trucks.

xman1827

Active Expediter
Well I went to Canada. Not fun. I paid 50 bucks to put a speed limiter witch sucks cuz now I can't go over 65 mph. I got to the border crossing to find out Canadian customs are pricks! They gave me a hard time because I was arrested in 2004 for (for failure to appear on a traffic violation) and didn't mentioned it it was like the end of the world and they searched the crap out my truck. And not to mentioned how wonderful everyone drives I'm sure everyone has ran into a genius Canadian tag in there life time. Bad experience!

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Depending on your 04 arrest you may not of aloud to be in Canada. Also your carrier should of told you to tell customs about it "only" if asked. If you were asked and did not bring it up and they found it then you were viewed as trying to hide it. That and a few other reasons will get them to inspect your truck. I would not go into another country unless I knew most of there laws, so if there is a next time I would do some research before going there again.

CBSA agents are really not all that bad. Its the CBP that are more stringent. I am glad they are as they are protecting are country.

Also if you think 65mph is not fast enough in a large truck maybe you should look for a new career. 65 is plenty fast enough considering the maximum speed limit in ONT. and QC. is only 100km. So at 65 you were speeding.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I went to Canada. Not fun. I paid 50 bucks to put a speed limiter witch sucks cuz now I can't go over 65 mph. I got to the border crossing to find out Canadian customs are pricks! They gave me a hard time because I was arrested in 2004 for (for failure to appear on a traffic violation) and didn't mentioned it it was like the end of the world and they searched the crap out my truck. And not to mentioned how wonderful everyone drives I'm sure everyone has ran into a genius Canadian tag in there life time. Bad experience!

A hard time because you had a conviction?....Gee the LAW is pretty clear...NO Convictions allowed without a pardon...

and then you want to drive more the 65 mph? Where the law is like 63 mph or 100 km's? Your carrier did you an injustice by letting you try to go there....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I didn't think you could even get a CDL with a felony on your record..I know there were proposed regulations to prohibit anyone with a felony within the last 20 years to have one.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

FTA is a Felony?...

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Everyone's griping about the speed in Canada, but remember its 60 for trucks in Michigan.

Sent from my DROID X2

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Also if you think 65mph is not fast enough in a large truck maybe you should look for a new career. 65 is plenty fast enough considering the maximum speed limit in ONT. and QC. is only 100km. So at 65 you were speeding.

Oh puleeze! "My government is putting more restrictions on us, and I agree with them. If you don't, maybe you should look for another career."

Be happy because your government tells you to... while those cars go zipping past you... all in the name of your safety, and the good of the country.

Heil.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Everyone's griping about the speed in Canada, but remember its 60 for trucks in Michigan.

I know. And I have one of those invisible limiters to prove it. :rolleyes:

Speed limit is not the problem. I hit Ohio or Indiana, and my foot hits the floor. I hit Kentucky and Missouri, and my foot hits the floor harder. Michigan's speed limit doesn't prevent me from doing what I want in other states. Ontario's speed limiter does. Get it?

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Oh puleeze! "My government is putting more restrictions on us, and I agree with them. If you don't, maybe you should look for another career."

Be happy because your government tells you to... while those cars go zipping past you... all in the name of your safety, and the good of the country.

Heil.

Don't want a limiter on your truck don't go to ONT. or QC. Its that simple. Stay in the U.S.

I am not for limiters. I was commenting to the fact that 65 was not fast enough for him.

I live in the U.S. so I don't know what you are getting at with your second line.

And them cars do go zipping by me all day long as I toot down the road at 58mph. As long as I am driving safely that's all I worry about. Let them other idiots drive pedal down wasting fuel and burning there trucks and cars up. I guess there freight must be really important if they have to run that fast. What a shame some people feel like that.

Last edited:

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Tennesseahawk;483596 Speed limit is not the problem. I hit Ohio or Indiana said:
Its a shame you feel you have to put your foot down. I guess you freight pays better then everyone else's out here. They pay you more to run faster and burn more fuel?? Did you used to be a company driver in a T/T?? Cause you sure sound like your one of them steering wheel holders!!

I get better fuel mileage at 70 right?? People that think and drive this way sure do make it difficult for the more responsible drivers on the roads.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Nope I'm not gripping about Canada, I am gripping about the trucks from Canada who can't read our speedlimit signs.

60?

I clocked one on my trip home today at 83.