Speaking of White Glove.....

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have sat and watched a Conventional tractor hauling a 53 box, coming down between two rows of parked trucks. Back that puppy blind into a slot with no more then 6-8 inches on each side. To me that takes a lot more skill they tying ones shoe laces.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You guys are having way too much fun with this. Those who recieved the special treatment will be defensive and those who did not or were held back by it will be angry. That is just the way it is. The problem is the watering down of the brand as some have said. There are easy and fair solutions but it is up to FedEx to think long term rather than short term for them to see the benifits of a more fair system that would allow for only the best of contractors to handle the high value customers. The present system does not allow for that completely. We take pride in our work but I am sure that some will think we are not that good. We have seen other WG trucks that are not kept up or drivers who we feel don't "look the part" but that is our opinion. The thing is that it is up to FedEx to determine the rules. They will not always get it right or wrong. That is, after all, life. Layoutshooter

MRPIE1

Seasoned Expediter
I have sat and watched a Conventional tractor hauling a 53 box, coming down between two rows of parked trucks. Back that puppy blind into a slot with no more then 6-8 inches on each side. To me that takes a lot more skill they tying ones shoe laces.

Agree 100%! When a T/T driver can put it in a hole where you couldn't slip a sheet of paper between him and the guys besides him. That is impressive. But, I've also seen more accidents in truck stops then anywhere else caused by trying to do the exact same thing. The smart guy is the one that just gives up and drives off because he knows his limitations.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem is that it is up to FedEx to insure the standards are kept up. We can point fingers at each other all day and all it is doing is making some people upset and others angry. We, as many others have, have seen WG drivers do really stupid things, like using un-padded straps instead of padded bars for front to back securement for heavy, very high value freight. That will come back to bite FedEx sooner or later. We have seen WG trucks that are a mess, not the snow storm mess but knee deep trash in the cab mess or packing blankets strewn all over the floor and just a general un-professional look. That will come back to bite FedEx as well. Remember, if we lose a contract to these things, it bites everyone who leases to FedEx. It would behove every WG team and FedEx to insure that the best is always out there. The current system does not insure that. Layoutshooter

MRPIE1

Seasoned Expediter
The problem is that it is up to FedEx to insure the standards are kept up. We can point fingers at each other all day and all it is doing is making some people upset and others angry. We, as many others have, have seen WG drivers do really stupid things, like using un-padded straps instead of padded bars for front to back securement for heavy, very high value freight. That will come back to bite FedEx sooner or later. We have seen WG trucks that are a mess, not the snow storm mess but knee deep trash in the cab mess or packing blankets strewn all over the floor and just a general un-professional look. That will come back to bite FedEx as well. Remember, if we lose a contract to these things, it bites everyone who leases to FedEx. It would behove every WG team and FedEx to insure that the best is always out there. The current system does not insure that. Layoutshooter

Properly securing a load, high value or not - is customer service.

Maintaining a clean truck - is customer service.

Coming to a shipper or consignee clean, neat in uniform and ready to work - is customer service.

Customer Service - is not just people skills.

When FedEx receives a claim because a load was not properly secured - they will pay the claim and the driver will be let go. This will open up another space in the waiting line.

FedEx has Terry driving around to all the truck stops to "inspect" trucks. We met Terry in Atlanta. Believe me, he will be writing up trucks that are not maintained properly; trucks that do not maintain the image of FedEx; and, drivers that just need a shower. Those trucks will be given a warning - do it again and - see ya. Another space will open up on the waiting list.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Yupper sure does and I can do it how about you.
I here you talk the talk now walk the walk
I can :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the idea of having my truck inspected by Terry or anyone else. It helps keep me on my toes. We take pride in what we do but a little push here and there never hurt anyone.

Proper securement is a bit more than customer service. It requires training, a bit of thinking and a lot of wanting to do it right. Much of the freight we carry in WG is very high value and only the best should handle this freight.

We must always be professional. We can't have drivers putting out cigarettes on the customers parking lot. (I have seen that one). We must always strive to keep our trucks as clean as possible.

There should be serious freight securement training, not just a 5 minute demonstration.

There should be training on how to talk with the customer. How to understand thier needs.

Layoutshooter

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Oh, I'm sorry. Did you miss the part about managing a fleet of 14 independant contractors TRUCKS as an Area Manager.

No I did not miss it, you never mentioned it.:confused:

And, no I didn't just sit in an office, I ran routes throughout my area when I needed to. I instructed others on how to do most of that stuff, the rest can be found in a book.

My co-driver went through truck driving school.

Did your Co-driver go from school to being qualified for hauling explosives thru the middle of a populated area?

I know that it seems that I was singling you out, but that was not my intent, just using some of your experience as an example. If you truly feel that driving a bread truck around town gives you the knowledge to competently and safely haul radioactive material down a mountain in the dead of night on rain slicked roads, then, ah, well...

Let's face it, this isn't brain surgery!
No it's certainly not brain surgery. But before a surgeon cuts into my pea sized brain I hope he was more than a proctologist having read about all the money that could be made doing the other end of the body

Do you know from past experience where to place a single skid that places you near your trucks capacity? Most of this stuff is just common sense, some is not. Experience will tell you which is which.

But I want to reiterate I'm not knocking you or your knowledge, just some peoples level of experience doing what they currently are doing. After all what is the point of White Glove? (I know it's just a sales tool) But the customer thinks they are paying two and three times the normal rate because he thinks he's getting the best of the best. Surely you don't think that the first day as a white glove team that you were among the most Experienced and Knowledgeable in the fleet, or do you?

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Way back when,W/G was started,class included securement.A man from a moving van company not only talked about the advantages of the white glove division,but also gave a class in securement,it wasnt just showing a load that was already secure.Some place down the line this securement class went away,and it was left up to the fleet owner to teach their drivers.
Most of what we do as truck drivers ,is common sence,but you know what,many of us are very smart,do to what we have learned in books,but when it comes to common sence,thats a light in a different direction

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Way back when,W/G was started,class included securement.A man from a moving van company not only talked about the advantages of the white glove division,but also gave a class in securement,it wasnt just showing a load that was already secure.Some place down the line this securement class went away,and it was left up to the fleet owner to teach their drivers.
Most of what we do as truck drivers ,is common sence,but you know what,many of us are very smart,do to what we have learned in books,but when it comes to common sence,thats a light in a different direction

Steve I agree. Securing a airplane or a Ship for Movement dont take a college Degree. The same goes with Trucks and Trailers.

If its loose its going to move. So Secure it.

Load bars and Straps and Pads and Corners. I used them on the last truck all the time and No freight moved. Period.
Some may have thought it was over kill but hey Who cares the freight got there safe and sound and no spills.
better take a few min and double check then to have a mess to clean up latter.

As always Steve you drove that spike home. Well I got something to go do.
Have fun by the way if you see me working out just Honk your air horn. Ill wave .
Gotta keep my self in shape to load and secure that hot freight.
:)

MRPIE1

Seasoned Expediter
First of all, I am not here to offend anybody. I think we've gotten off the subject matter at hand. And, I agree that experience is important.

No it's certainly not brain surgery. But before a surgeon cuts into my pea sized brain I hope he was more than a proctologist having read about all the money that could be made doing the other end of the body

With any profession, there is a top and a bottom. How do you know that your brain surgeon graduated in the top 1/3 of the class or the bottom 1/3 of the class until after they have completed your surgery? Ha! Ha!

Do you know from past experience where to place a single skid that places you near your trucks capacity? Most of this stuff is just common sense, some is not. Experience will tell you which is which.

Luckily, yes, my experience has taught me how and where to place a skid to utilize the best possible capacity of my truck. But, please, let's also remember that Common Sense is not nearly as common as it would appear it should be.

But I want to reiterate I'm not knocking you or your knowledge, just some peoples level of experience doing what they currently are doing. After all what is the point of White Glove? (I know it's just a sales tool) But the customer thinks they are paying two and three times the normal rate because he thinks he's getting the best of the best. Surely you don't think that the first day as a white glove team that you were among the most Experienced and Knowledgeable in the fleet, or do you?

I would be the first to agree that there are people out here that do not belong. On our first day as a WG team we were not in the top 1/3 or the bottom 1/3 of the class, but we did fall somewhere in the middle. Just remember that everybody has a first day. This doesn't make them less experienced or knowledgable. Just which 1/3 they come in at. We didn't begin as a WG team, we started out as a surface expedite team and earned our position in WG. The day we stop learning is the day that we need to get out of business (no matter what that business might be).

Just because you have experience doesn't mean that experience doesn't breed complacentcy. You can go down that same grade 100x and feel comfortable doing it, but on the 101st time find a need to use the runaway ramp because you have become complacent.

But, again, I believe that we have gotten off topic, which is that ES trucks were getting preferential treatment.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
White Glove is also an attitude. We role into a customer and we project that we are the best in the industry. We try to put the customer somewhat at ease, that thier freight will be handled with care and concern. That we will not just put on the truck and roll. We try to do what ever it takes to please the customer within the bounds of the contract and what insurance needs dictate. We are sales people. The drivers deal with the customers far more than the real sales people do. We often suggest other WG services that may fit thier needs better. We often involve the customer in the securement process, not doing the work, but asking them if they are happy with this or that. Keep them in the loop, if the situation allows for that. It gives them more confidence in your abilities.

There is much that goes into being a WG team and truck. For that reason alone a system that allows someone to be WG without the proper training or instruction a system that will lower the quality of the product.

Layoutshooter

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We often involve the customer in the securement process, not doing the work, but asking them if they are happy with this or that.

Layoutshooter

The first load I hauled in my straight truck was machinery that required straps and pads. When I got in the dock, the shipper walked in the box and started strapping things down. He said he always did that, and I thought it was a good idea. He knows the machines well. Ever since, I always ask if the shipper wants to secure the load.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . . . As for putting new/inexperienced people into WG, it probably has degenerated their program. Any proof of that only one has to look at Panther"s Elite service and see how fast it took off.

Panther ad in the new "Expedite Now" mag. states:

"Elite Teams Elite Pay"

"Ability to qualify for Elite Services from the day you begin at Panther"

Might explain why Elite Service took off so fast. No different from Fed Ex, except they are up front about it.

Do they have Reefer/T-Val division?

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Wow! Reading this thread makes me all the more thankful that I'm where I'm at now!!!

We were also one of those FECC WG teams that had no prior expedite/WG experience when we hired on. We did have years of experience hauling grocery warehouse products and the likes though. Yet since we hired on with Pat and Wes Savoy's WG fleet we were put into WG immediately and turned loose to haul high value security sensitive freight. We weren't even required to take the WG Training classes. Then we were put on the art team two months later. Fortunately, even with no prior WG experience (or training) were able to provide the customer QUALITY SERVICE. Hopefully that has been the same with those whom have followed in our footsteps. I'm sure in the beginning the customers thought we were at their dock because we had prior experience!

I have to wonder had we brought our own WG equipped truck onboard in the beginning, how long we would have had to wait to get into WG? After being in the Savoy's fleet for only five months, we were able to buy our own WG truck and be placed into WG immediately. I guess things have changed alot!

Where we are leased onto now, there is no surface expedite or WG division. There are no trucks equiped differently than others ie: dry van verses reefer, liftgate verses not, T-val verses temp- assured, etc. There are no fleet owners here, just one truck mom and pop owner operators. All are equal here with the exception of how long one has been doing this as compared to another, or owning a stepdeck verses a double drop or RGN. Ninety-nine percent of our freight can be loaded on any of these three types of trailers. The other one percent is not a requirement for us to haul. We all can prosper equally here.

Other teams here are willing to help teach you the things you might not know yet since there is virtually no competitiveness between the teams. They and the company know that by helping each other helps keep the HIGH QUALITY service we as a TEAM offer our customers exactly that! Our customers tell us and others regularly how much they appreciate the quality of service we and the company provides them and their needs. I'm sure based on the high value of their freight and the time sensitive nature of needing to get it from point A to point B safely and undamaged, they would not say this if it weren't true.

Last edited:

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
We show up to the shipper with a clean truck, in uniform and ready to work. You may have seen other trucks (not necessarily WG) show up in holy jeans and t-shirts that are so called "professional". It is not my job to call these people out.

With the current tightening of the market we represent FedEx Custom Critical it is our responsibility to band together to make the brand stronger and better.

I'm sorry but I would have to disagree here. IT IS YOUR JOB to call the carrier (FECC) immediately and report what you are seeing at the customer, even if its reporting a fellow (same carrier) driver! A photo is even better! Be a tattle tale and don't worry about making enemies!!! The carrier would appreciate these calls. Plus Terry can't be everywhere at the same time and police the entire fleet. What does the military and law enforcement do? They police each other to help maitain an image, don't they?

How does one help make the brand stronger and better, or at the very least maintain its current image if this type of activity is NOT reported? Are we out here to make friends or run a business?

Yet I can't help but wonder, does the carrier no longer care about its contractors image when as Nobb4u indicates they allowed a driver to attend a WG training class in dirty sweatpants that were full of holes. Lets send that "WG Driver" to pick up a load at the National Archives Warehouse in Maryland or to CDC to load millions of dollars of drugs ,etc!!!

I'm sorry but it was the carrier's job to stop that driver at the door and say "Thanks but no thanks!" What were they thinking, or did they just not care?

Last edited:

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What is it now, that they call it? Cheese eater, eat'in cheese, Oh never mind, must be tink'in bout something else. But, that is one way to climb over the competition steada out fox'in or out work'in em. Guess it all counts as Bluze says. Yep, the field ain't level, never was, never will be. So..... who is gonna put up that 1.5 mil for ten or twelve trucks to git that preferential treatment??? Lemme see the hands!!!

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
Panther ad in the new "Expedite Now" mag. states:

"Elite Teams Elite Pay"

"Ability to qualify for Elite Services from the day you begin at Panther"

Might explain why Elite Service took off so fast. No different from Fed Ex, except they are up front about it.

Do they have Reefer/T-Val division?
They have both. BUT, thier Elite class/orientation is a joke. When we went over to the Fed, we where shocked at what Panther didn't cover. Panther's class is less than a day, as compared to Fed's. Panther is a pale comparison to Fed in MANY aspects.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Something I failed to say in my earlier post on this thread is this:

As the owner of a small business would you tolerate one of your employees showing up in less than approriate attire, etc. I think not. If image is part of the selling point for your business, you are going to protect your business and not allow its image to be tarnished by said employee. Correct?

So looking at expediting where contractors lease trucks onto a carrier, either to drive it themselves or place a driver in the truck. Are they not in a sense becoming a part of the "business" with a vested interest? Doesn't the actions and appearence of each contractor/driver potentually affect the earning potentual of other contractor/drivers? So why then would anyone turn a blind eye to another representing the same carrier in a negative way and not personally bring it to that person's attention or report them to the carrier immediately?

I remember the wife and I being reported to FECC's WG Div by another ER-team while we were on a project a few years back. We were all parked at the Elkton,MD Petro. We were in service but not under a load and nowhere near a customer. We chose not to wear our FECC WG shirts into the restuarant where all of the other WG ER-teams just happened to be "in uniform". Get a FREAKING LIFE tattle tale team!!! You know who you are. LOL We only chose to wear our "uniforms" while at the customer, nowhere else. That's our right and don't you step on it!

During the same project this same team chose to report trucks that unhooked from their empty trailers and pull away, us included. In our case we bobtailed up front to the Blue Beacon to get the truck washed. Thanks to their call I had to explain why I unhooked from my trailer to the C team! The other trucks got reported by them for two-three teams leaving in one truck togethger to go to Walmart for supplies, yet all trailers were empty. It only made sense!

Those type of situations don't affect the carrier's image in a negative way, and need not to be reported as do the ligitimate ones. Yet they go unreported. Futhermore, there is a huge difference in what I and the others were reported on verses the other. One is being a tattle tale while the other is protecting their's and the carrier's business/image in my opinion.

Last edited: