Someting New On "Is this a reasonable price for th

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Now that all the professional truckers have expressed their opinions about the post "Is this a reasonable price for this new truck??" Let’s do some analysis of their posted opinions.

Firstly, there is no doubt that most of the posts were worthless chatter or just average bashing of the poster or the posters question.
Secondly and most importantly was post #29 made by Leo Bricker. His post goes to the heart of the truck question and brings to focus the primary common component between Sterling, Hino and Freightliner trucks; the truck chassis. After months of seeking the differences between the three leaders in class 7 expedite truck building, the truck chassis qualifies as a unique component that each truck builder manufactures themselves.
Staying with the theme of truck components such as the truck chassis as pointed out by Leo in his post, just what other components does the prospective truck builders actually create themselves and why should those components sway us to spend more or less on acquiring a first-rate expedite vehicle.
Transmissions; no, “the gear†is not a component built by the lead three.
Suspensions; no, the lead three get those air ride parts from other companies for your expedite truck.
Engines; Freightliner and Sterling acquire their power platforms from well known engine manufactures. Hino, a Toyota owned company, manufactures their own engines.
Axles; Freightliner and Sterling make some axles themselves but offer choices that are by other axles/suspension manufactures. Hino buys their axles from the other axles/suspension manufactures.
Truck cab; yes, each of the lead three make their own truck cab.
Sleepers; no, sleepers as desired by most experienced or novice expediters is not a component manufactured by the lead three truck builders.
Tires; no, the lead three are getting those from other manufactures.
Warranty; while the a service contract may not be in essence a “manufactured componentâ€, it is a creation by each of the lead three expedite truck builders. Freightliner and Sterling include a 250,000 mile warranty. Hino includes a 300,000 mile warranty.
Chassis; yes, Freightliner , Sterling and Hino each construct their own chassis.
What am I pointing out above? Simply that the majority of truck components that make up a first rate expedite truck can be had on any expedite truck regardless of the “Brand Name†you choose.
So why does Leo believe the Hino truck chassis is mediocre and why, in his “expert opinionâ€, should we run from one brand or another simply based on his statement that it is so? Do Hino trucks have an inferior truck chassis? Could it be that your safety be risked by not knowing what Leo does? Is Leo an engineer and thus can speak to chassis construction?
No doubt a bias, like Leo’s, will always exist among truck drivers and owners for what they drive or own. So how will a novice or an expert trucker ever determine he or she has purchased, or leased a first rate expedite truck.
For myself, I used the following to determine which of the lead three would receive our truck order.
Safety; was one truck offered by the three truck manufactures safer than the others. Answer was no, based on government standards and requirements for manufacturing these types of trucks.
Price comparisons for like components from each truck builder. For those components that were available on each “truck brand†that were identical offerings. Sleeper, cargo box, side boxes, etc. Here lays a costly area that either novice or expert can benefit by pricing these items as directly with real manufactures of those items as possible. What you will find is that many dealers, regardless of brand, have large margins on these items that can allow you to add up what those add-on items are really costing you. As an example; sleeper base prices vary more than a few thousands of dollars. Make the dealer break it down from the base price and how much those extras figure in. Once you see the different broken down prices and compare those to your own researching you will see areas you can negotiate a lower price.
Power plants; engines and horse power, without doubt, are the single most controversial factors of which an expedite trucker depends on daily. In the end, choice should be based on several distinct factors as it should be when purchasing any new vehicle.
Warranty; Can it be believed that reliability both makes money and cost money. Certainly, and in the end, each manufacture we examined offered comparable warranties. So many miles or so many years are essentially the offerings by Freightliner, Sterling and Hino. Our research gave up similar patterns as to the number of repairs for miles run for the both Freightliner and Sterling trucks. What was important for the Freightliner and Sterling was the choice of engine brand. Incidence of repairs for Caterpillar, Mercedes and Hino was greatest within the Cat’s, followed by Mercedes and Hino engines with the least.
Horse power; Freightliner and Sterling offered up a variety of horse power options. While horse power for a expedite truck engine is an important consideration, so is its reliability, maintenance and hourly fuel consumption. The Hino engines for expediting, rated at 260 HP with a higher RPM to Torque ratio are inadequate for a full gross load of 33,000 lbs., especially highways in mountainous terrain. The larger power plants offered in the Freightliner and Sterling will certainly give a better uphill climb than the Hino. This is not to say the Hino trucks cannot make Donner Pass in Nevada with a full load, they will, but with flashers on at 35 to 40 mph. That said, down the other side they all will be running at the same speed.
Fuel consumption; the most costly consideration about an engine will always be its fuel consumption performance. Freightliner, Sterling and Hino had fuel consumption numbers that fell within a 1-2 mile per gallon difference. Those ranges depended on engine brand, transmission and rear end ratios, rear drive tires, load weights and highway terrain. With average miles per gallon of 9.1 among Freightliner, Sterling, their engine, transmission and rear end configuration do offer the best miles per gallon performance. Hino trucks having only one engine choice was low with an 8.4 average mile per gallon. A quick math analysis with an assumed fuel cost of $3.00 per gallon would indicate a $2747.28 more paid in fuel cost per 100,000 miles driving the Hino truck.
Sleepers; If you think having Satellite TV and a shower are luxury items for an expedite truck. Then consider this. The trucking industry continues to grow, though vastly slower than the past several years, ample studies show traffic congestion on main cargo moving highways will worsen yearly. Truck stops are already experiencing lack of parking in many volume traffic areas. Knowing this should help you see that while taking a shower at a truck stop is a practical matter for most OTR truckers, it is becoming less convenient and in some places free showers are disappearing as truck stops continue growing their business revenues. The trend toward having a shower will slide from being a luxury to a money maker in time. How many truckers can say they haven’t dead headed to take a shower from time to time? Is it possible a shower could save you money over the life of your truck? We calculate it will.
Misc truck items; we looked at options available on our expedite trucks choices that ranged over items such as bigger fuel tanks, lift gates, automatic up and down landing gears and many more. In the end it was decided most options were easily installed later if we wanted and or needed them.
Can you tell which truck we decided to buy? Was it Freightliner, Sterling or Hino? If you can then like most of your decision in life your guessing based on what you think you know. Our guess is we will be pleased with our truck choice even if someone else isn’t.

Quote; as do the sharpest of knives require the wet stone, so do the wisest of men require advice.
The golden lugnut

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Someting New On "Is this a reasonable price fo

Sounds to me like Lugnut has been taking writing lessons from the famous Senior Field Editor of EO,the A Team.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

Who lied to you and said Hino was a top 3 competitor? I would put Paccar (Pete/Kenworth) before a Hino anyday.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

"Can you tell which truck we decided to buy? Was it Freightliner, Sterling or Hino?"

It seems pretty obvious which one you went with.

"If you can then like most of your decision in life your guessing based on what you think you know."

I used to make most of my guesses based on what I thought I didn't know, but eventually found out that if I based them on what I thought I did know, they tended to work out better for me in the long run. Less guessing.

"Our guess is we will be pleased with our truck choice even if someone else isn’t."

But, is your guess based on what you think you know, or on something else?

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Lugnut, no, I am not an engineer. I am however an intelligent individual who doesn't pull statements out of body cavities. My statements are based on my opinion which is based on scores of hours of research and discussion with many sources. I believe you would find that most people consider my conclusions well reasoned and accurate.

Every truck chassis has warts. The number and severity of warts seems to increase as you move up the line from KW/Pete/Sterling to Freightliner to Hino based on all the information I've gathered. Ditto for the drop from a class 8 to a class 7. The usable life of a class 8 KW/Pete/Sterling, with proper maintenance and upkeep, should be 2,000,000 miles. Switch to a class 7 KW/Pete/Sterling and your maximum drops to perhaps 1,300,000 miles. For a Freighliner class 7 maybe a million miles and for a Hino class 7 less than a million miles. Why would you spend $116k for a 3/4 million mile truck when for $120-130k you could get a 2 million mile truck?

Adding a shower to a 96" sleeper adds several hundred pounds to the gvw of the truck. It takes away most of the available cabinet and storage space in the sleeper. It requires very frequent servicing to refill the water tank and empty the drain tank. It produces no direct revenue. If a husband/wife team is going to expedite together for a number of years then perhaps it's a good idea. If a truck is being spec'd for a fleet owner's team to drive, I believe it is a mistake.

I can't really figure out what your agenda is. You were given a number of good answers, most pointing out the major importance of chassis choice and asking about it. You refused to say and still do. Your thesis points out a number of important factors in chassis selection. Equally important in value determination is sleeper manufacturer. There is a major difference in quality among sleepers and the long term cost/expense of the sleeper should also be factored in.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
RE: Someting New On

Quote; as do the sharpest of knives require the wet stone, so do the wisest of men require advice.
The golden lugnut

Oh golden lugnut, was it truly advice you sought?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

> Equally important
>in value determination is sleeper manufacturer. There is a
>major difference in quality among sleepers and the long term
>cost/expense of the sleeper should also be factored in.

How very true that statement is,make the wrong choice and you are stuck in a 8'x8'non functioning closet for several years.DD.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Moot:

That's not even a real quote. No one ever said that. Someone made it up on the fly 'cause it sounds kewl. But the problem is, none of the quote makes sense.

The wisest of men do not necessarily require advice, but, rather, they know their limitations and know when to seek out advice, and they know where to seek it out.

And, the fact is, the sharpest of knives do not require a wet stone at all. Not until it they are dull.

Then again, I suppose the same kind of person who would put a wet stone to a sharp knife would also offer up unsolicited advice to the wisest of men.

"As do the sharpest of knives require the steel to keep their edge, so do the wisest of men seek out advice." - Me

Kewl

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I think a wise man would always keep his knife sharp as he would be aware of limitations that would exist on a dull knife. There are real wise men that know their limitations and seek to always gain knowledge in order to overcome their limitations. But there are men that think they are wise men and have much knowledge due to research that they claim to have done. Their knife will stay dull as their mind does not recognize that knives and mindsets must continously be sharpened.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I am truly puzzled by this thread, it seems that human nature has reared its ugly head and like others (including me) there is some attempt to justify a lousy purchase.

I don’t get the reason for another thread, it is reminiscent of another EO member who seems to have something to justify. So many of the comments were drawn from the lack of info that you gave, if you expect an intelligent answer, you got to give details – the **** is in the details.

Regardless I would never pay $116K for anything like a class 7 truck, the reason is no matter how you cut it, it is a city truck – meaning not made for prolong highway use. This comes from real engineers with real degrees and who design these trucks for something they call a living at places like Freightliner and Sterling.

But any who, the one mistake that I am amazed at in this profession of niche marketers is;

People getting into this and trying to replicate a motor home life style

And

The idea that if one buys new it means that it is a good thing.

IF I had $116K to spend on a truck, I would take $40K find a truck for $25K, build the thing so it cost $40K and then invest the rest of the money into T-bills or something like that or buy a really good antique car that I can enjoy, $60K will get me back into a car I had.

Oh before I finish with my ramblings, I am really curious about one thing;

Lugnut said; “Our research gave up similar patterns as to the number of repairs for miles run for the both Freightliner and Sterling trucks. What was important for the Freightliner and Sterling was the choice of engine brand. Incidence of repairs for Caterpillar, Mercedes and Hino was greatest within the Cat’s, followed by Mercedes and Hino engines with the least.â€

You know I am wondering about this, how does one get some of this info to do research with. I asked for this info from Cat at one time and I am told much of the warrantee info is kept confidential for competitive reasons and much of what is floating around is not accurate. The guy who told me this was not lying, I am related to him and he is in management there with the access. So someone tell me how this is done?

Oh I know that there are three engine manufactures mentioned but Cummins also provides a number of engines for Freightliner.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I too wonder what knowledge Lugnuts hoped to gain with his little quandry. In your 5000 word essay in this thread, you brilliantly state the obvious. True, the make of the sleeper, tranny, box, etc., all goes into pricing a truck, as well as the make/model of the truck itself. BTW, none of which were volunteered by you. Yet you expect us to give you an opinion.

I'll just mention that I'm buying 100 acres, and want to know from you if $100,000 is a good price. Well... is it?

BTW... since you did all this research, why ask us? Obviously you've found the answers you wanted, regardless of what was said in the forum. Did you expect us to say "good boy!" and tuck you in too?

"If I claim to be a wiseman, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas (not Lugnuts)

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

Packmule

Expert Expediter

KABOOOOM!!!! Or should I say DOUBLE KABOOOOM!!!

Ask and yew shall receive!

YA'll keep em' straight out thar, Ya hear!!

Danny

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Wow lug, that was a lot of words. And you still didn't tell us which truck you wanted to know about. But, with all the research you did and dealers you can contact through this website, why did you ask us in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Maybe something to consider........

Member since Dec-16-07
6 posts

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

I just can't shake this feeling that lugnut1 is reincarnation of someone else here on EO.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone had 2 screen names.What say you Dreamer? DD.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

Lugnuts,
I'll give you an example of how you should have stated your question.This is purely for instance.

Let's say I'm looking at a truck to run solo as an e-unit. Here is the truck I am looking at do you all think this is a good deal?

It's a 2005 Peterbilt 379. It has a 475 Cat (C-15)under the hood with twin turbos. It also has an 18 speed manual tranny. The gear ratio is 3:55. It has a 70" Unibuilt Ultrasleeper. Which is the factory non-flat top sleeper. It has 10 aluminum wheels. The tires are 24.5s. The suspension is the Pete Flex Air suspension. It has a double bunk in the sleeper. It has 310,000 miles. It also comes with the remainder of the 5 year/500,000 mile warranty. An oil test has been ran and the results were good. I also had it checked by a truck mechanic that I know personally and trust.He says it is sound mechanicly. The price tag on it is $89,900. What do you all think?

Now people can read that and make a better educated remark than if I had said it's a conventonail with a sleeper, and it has a bed in it. It also has a fifth wheel and shiny fuel tanks. It has a manual tranny as well. Oh it is a class 8 and they are asking $89,900 for it.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

>Sounds to me like Lugnut has been taking writing lessons
>from the famous Senior Field Editor of EO,the A Team.
If so , he needs another lesson. Wet stones don't sharpen knives .Whet stones do .

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Ark, does that Pete have a shower? How about a PTO so I could run my grinding wheel. I could make some extra money sharpening knives or maybe axes. Kaiser blade anyone?

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

And they locked my thread, any chance we could slide this one in?