So Long

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Qualcom is an extra Cash Cow for them .....200 units x $ 15. (extra over what they're charged ) .. x 52 weeks...hmmm ...and we get hot dogs for driver appreciation week ......lol

sent from my mobile apple cart

About 10 yrs ago, when Nations came up with the people's net, some sort of qualcomm, the weekly charge was 20 or 25 bux. A friend of mine called the provider pretending that he has a small fleet and he's interested in their services, and he wants to know how much they gonna charge for that. The answer was $30 a month per unit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
My last carrier had sprint flip phones with Sylectus software on it. It GPS tracked us, we got load info in a form of a text all at no cost to me.

sent from my Galaxy S3

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
My last carrier had sprint flip phones with Sylectus software on it. It GPS tracked us, we got load info in a form of a text all at no cost to me.

My last carrier had pretty much the same thing. They'd send you a load, and you'd either hear it or not hear it. They'd neglect to call you on your cell to make sure you got it and accepted it or not. Not like my previous previous carrier, which put you on a load, and that was that... but close.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I can't work I thought I would play. My driveway is snow packed and icy. A near perfect sheet to practice curling. When life hands you Cat turds, throw a rock.
CurlingRock_zpsad4f6746.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Several years ago I looked into getting units for my 'fleet'. At that time the purchase price was upwards of a couple thousand dollars for brand new systems. The usage fee was just under $15 per week not $35 per week. I don't know but I suspect if you have 1000 units there might be some extra discounts.

Now, the carrier is fronting the purchase and repairs so that has to factor in. The carrier is also getting many many years of payments from the trucks using the units. The carrier is also getting some sort of write off, if they have decent accountants.

So, $35 a week is definitely a rip off. Landstar charged $25 a week. Still too high but less usurious. If a carrier wanted to treat their "partners" fairly they'd set up a sliding scale starting at $20 a week for a year followed by $15 a week in year two, $10 a week in year three, $5 a week in year four, and no charge from year five onward as long as that truck stayed in the fleet. They'd recover over half the cost of each unit in the first year a truck was signed on. By the end of the second year the unit would be paid for. In years 3 and 4 they'd put $780 away toward any potential repairs or other expenses. They wouldn't get rich from qc's like they are now but combined with their write offs they make a little money.

And just how far would it go toward morale and positive impressions of the carrier compared to all the $35 rip offs?

Add to that a certified qaulcom tech full time with company benefits, space to install and work on units, extra units to replace ones that break down. People always want to only consider direct costs when deciding what they should pay for something. There is more to cost than direct cost for the unit itself.

If my QC gets me one extra load a month because a shipper or partner carrier sees me setting somewhere because of the qc it has paid for itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Add to that a certified qaulcom tech full time with company benefits, space to install and work on units, extra units to replace ones that break down. People always want to only consider direct costs when deciding what they should pay for something. There is more to cost than direct cost for the unit itself.

If my QC gets me one extra load a month because a shipper or partner carrier sees me setting somewhere because of the qc it has paid for itself.

A dispatcher does the same thing. Are you going to pay extra if she decides to have a baby?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry that ones over my head.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or the carrier can forego the building, technician and all the other expenses and send you to the independent shop that does qc's and we're back to just direct costs. That's their choice and their expense, not my expense.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Or the carrier can forego the building, technician and all the other expenses and send you to the independent shop that does qc's and we're back to just direct costs. That's their choice and their expense, not my expense.

Better option than having a in house tech thats incompetent.

sent from my Galaxy S3

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Sorry that ones over my head.

Point is, both QC and dispatch gets you loads. Both can get screwed and not do its job. However, you are obligated to pay for one, yet not the other. The way you came across, we should be paying for anything to get fixed, if it helps us get loaded.

Sorry if I'm not clear. I have a migraine from hell.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No that is not what I said at all.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No that is not what I said at all.

Didn't say that's what you said. That's how it came across... at least to me. You made the point that we should take into consideration all the things the company has to do to take care of the QC. What's so special about the QC? Because it's on our truck, therefore it's our baby?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
According to the IRS yes it kind of is.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just got the word that my QC should be in late today and I have a 07:00 appointment to get it installed tomorrow. I guess I will have to cancel the bonspiel scheduled to take place in my driveway tomorrow.

shadow7663

Expert Expediter

sent from my Galaxy S3

I know its off subject but just curious who your last carrier was and why you left them?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
3½ hours to install a QC in a van! I removed the dome and keyboard prior to bringing it in. I handed it over to the service manager. I explained that Panther gave me permission to keep the cable as it was buried above my ceiling. He told me I forgot to pull the "black box". I explained there is no "black box". All the good stuff is built into the dome. He insisted until he picked up the dome and felt the weight.

The tech wanted to tear up my dashboard to mount the new "black box" and to connect it to the van's ECM. I tried calling Panther for help but after 10 minutes on hold I gave up. I finally convinced the tech to just wire up the power and ground and mount the "black box" low on the bulkhead behind the driver's seat. He velcroed the antenna on top of the dash. Kinda scary when it comes to technical stuff like satellite communications and computers that I know more than the experts.

I like the small size but the keyboard will take some getting used to and the touch screen doesn't work well in the cold. To get the unit to work I had to login. A screen asked for my driver number and password. I entered those but it didn't work. I called Panther and this time got through in just a few minutes. The nice lady told me my driver number for the QC was the last 6 digits of my SS and my password was the first letter of my first name, followed by the first letter of my last name, followed by the last 4 digits of my SS. Now why didn't I think of that?

Panther didn't send the prepaid return sticker as promised so I'm stuck with my old QC. Just for yucks I plugged the keyboard into a 110 volt outlet.
a87b21fb-e2db-4313-8aee-d67a2d151ea7_zps657041c7.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot stuff on my dash bugs me my antenna just hangs on the passenger seat and works fine. It used to be behind the drivers seat on the cargo area wall and worked fine there to I just took it down when I paneled.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cold is why the touch screen "doesn't work well" [at all, you mean!]? I thought mine has chiraptophobia [fear of being touched] or maybe just chirophobia [fear of hands], because it does NOT respond to touch half the time. It's really aggravating when you don't have much time to wait for it, and don't enjoy being 'late' on the record, when you actually weren't. What makes me crazy is poking and swiping at it when it just shuts off altogether. Plus, it takes longer to wake up than I do! :mad: