Snow on Donner Pass. It's that time of the year. Are you ready?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Our Onspot automatic snow chains were installed two weeks ago. Myrian's been pestering me about getting them since our first year of driving.

In years past, we carried our chain bags, but I didn't have the first clue about how to install them. My theory was if the chain law was in effect, we're stopping. Now, since the nature of our operation has changed somewhat, stopping is a little less of an option......unless the road closed altogether.

Either way, are you properly equipped for the western states, and do you know how to install?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Many many years ago we learned to install chains by me reading the bag and Bob doing the work.

I know last year it was sure nice to be able to push a button and continue on.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I installed and uninstalled my chains a few times in the fall on dry pavement. You don't want to be learning how to chain on the side of the road at 2:15 am with snow falling and slush being sprayed by passing trucks. Our new truck has on spot, paid my dues I guess.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Not that I'm aware. I looked over all of the western states' chain laws prior to install. Several have specific language about ATD's (automatic traction devices).

The only rub we've heard is a little flack about the lengths of chain regarding wide single tires. They don't fully cross the tire's footprint.

On a somewhat related note, this week marks 15 years of marriage for my bride and I. She keeps clamoring about precious metal. Last year was a 3-point hydraulic wood splitter for the Kubota. This year was the Onspots.

I'd say I delivered.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Nice people to do business with.
Have had them on last two trucks.
Had to rebracket them when I went from 8 tires to Super Singles.
Have always just went down to Indiana to have work done at their facility.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can see chaining up to get OUT of bad weather. I believe that chaining up and driving INTO bad weather is less than smart.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Chaining is great to beat the rush out of Reno going into Ca or when you have one hill to chain over to get to Portland or Seattle area.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Chaining is great to beat the rush out of Reno going into Ca or when you have one hill to chain over to get to Portland or Seattle area.

To each his own. To me the idea of laying on the ground, handling frozen metal, to drive up an ice and snow covered mountain, often very limited visibility, less than fun. THEN, to make it more fun, when you get to the other side, you get to handle that frozen metal, again, this time when it is wet. OH JOY! Sounds like a funner thing to me! :p OH YEAH, then you have to find a way to rinse off any de-icing material than may be on that frozen metal and dry it off!

Now, I have NO problem chaining up to drive several miles out onto a frozen lake to fish, but that makes sense! :cool:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was on the fence about on-spots.
Then I listened to a guy on XM that had lost all 8 fingers to frost-bite after chaining a set of triples.
My Roadway bid put me heading west out of Denver on 70 six times every 2 weeks.
We "Hung alot of Iron."
Do not miss the Orange/Blue single axles.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We just do not go where chains are required.... there is enough freight elsewhere... I nap like archer if stuck in chain situation..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Last time I took a load west in the winter, got stuck after delivery in Aspen, Co, for several days because a pass was closed. I figure the benefits of chaining are negated by the potential for road closures [that last for days] and I just don't go there [during winter months] anymore.
Call me a sissy, I don't care. ;)

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive never had to chain up, Im with the park until dry gang...but I did drive some Truck Chassis that were 8 axles and all wheel drive headed to a Truck builder, these were cab and chassis with a Crane Boom, we go to the Donner in Reno and started over, I must have made 2000 dollars pulling cars out of ditches...all the while the snow was over the top of the cab, and Cat front end loaders were trying to clear the snow.....I dont mind the mountains, but I would definetly invest in that AUTO option if my route was going that way regularly....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
For the nap crowd....what do you tell your customers ?
The freight is sitting because we have wimps in the truck ?
If the road is impassable, or dangerous conditions exist, sure, you should sit. No freight is worth it.
If the chain up signs are out it means things are ok. You just need a little extra traction. Safe to proceed with caution.
If gates are down, take a nap.