Snow on Donner Pass. It's that time of the year. Are you ready?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Thinking back, I have slept until chain requirements were lifted.
That was before expediting.
I did not have a protect time or ETA.
The above post was directed at anyone that may make the freight late by not chaining up.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Anyone who would make late delivery by refusing to chain up deserves to be terminated - they should not have accepted a load they may or may not 'feel like' delivering on time.
What to tell the customers if no one accepts the load? That's how the free market works: try offering more money, see if that persuades anyone to change their mind, lol.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For the nap crowd....what do you tell your customers ?
The freight is sitting because we have wimps in the truck ?
If the road is impassable, or dangerous conditions exist, sure, you should sit. No freight is worth it.
If the chain up signs are out it means things are ok. You just need a little extra traction. Safe to proceed with caution.
If gates are down, take a nap.

I tell them that I, and only I, decide what is safe or unsafe, for my wife, my self, my truck/business, and his freight. NO freight, or ETA, is worth risking driving into what is at best, marginal weather. Safe first, ETA second.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I would bet in a snow storm, this is much more difficult. So, everyone's back is in great shape, you have no physical impairments, like bad knees, fingers are ok, no arthritis , good strength in ur legs and arms and Murphy s Law never comes to haunt you,,,,rite......................I guess many of you can put chains on in under 10 minutes at -20 degrees in a 15 mph wind,,,,,,,

rollincoal

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Proper equipment check list for western states with chain laws - they're not on my cab card

check_mark_green.png

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
My somewhat limited experience with chaining up has been : I don't think I really need chains to navigate this.

I'm from Michigan and have driven in much worse snow conditions without chains, than conditions that warrant a chain up order. Lots of driving on cold, wet pavement with chains on because the order is enacted.

I think you shouldn't accept the load or run states that have chain laws, if your not willing to do it. Of course shut it down if you don't feel safe or conditions change.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My somewhat limited experience with chaining up has been : I don't think I really need chains to navigate this.

I'm from Michigan and have driven in much worse snow conditions without chains, than conditions that warrant a chain up order. Lots of driving on cold, wet pavement with chains on because the order is enacted.

I think you shouldn't accept the load or run states that have chain laws, if your not willing to do it. Of course shut it down if you don't feel safe or conditions change.

I too am from Michigan and Michigan is flat. The chain up areas are on mountains, which Michigan has none of. It is a FAR different ball of wax. It is easy people, you are the captain and the captain rules.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I tell them that I, and only I, decide what is safe or unsafe, for my wife, my self, my truck/business, and his freight. NO freight, or ETA, is worth risking driving into what is at best, marginal weather. Safe first, ETA second.

...and if you do decide to go all chained up and someone hits you, you will be dinged for a preventable!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Crossing all chained up at 30 mph with others chained up is probably as safe as a summer weekend.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
...and if you do decide to go all chained up and someone hits you, you will be dinged for a preventable!

Why would I get a preventable if I'm in my lane and in control ?

Yellow Freight's policy used to be if you were chained up you would never get a preventable.
Thus the jokes about chaining up your flipped over rig.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I too am from Michigan and Michigan is flat. The chain up areas are on mountains, which Michigan has none of. It is a FAR different ball of wax. It is easy people, you are the captain and the captain rules.

WE have Mt Clemens, Mt Pleasant, and of course Mt Trashmore. :p