Small generator question

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
"They'd rather" You must have some other fingers in the pot eh? Well, sorry there Motha trkrs. Jes ain't no justice, is there?

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I would think there are literally dozens of auto electric shops in Detroit, look for someplace that specializes in rebuilding starters, alternators etc, maybe ask local auto parts stores (not the chains) where they send their cores. Failing that, look to the aviation world, they also have shops (might not be local though) that do nothing but rebuild electric components............but if you go that route be sure to make it clear it is NOT for an aircraft or they wont touch it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would think there are literally dozens of auto electric shops in Detroit....

NO really there is no a lot that do good work. Many of them are parts replacers. A bunch here don't know how to rewind motors or generators.

There is one I do recommend, they do all the motor rebuilding for a number of people, I had them do a few motors - not cheap but good.

Werner Electric - 20520 Van Born Rd, Dearborn Heights, MI 48125, West of the Southfield freeway

(313) 561-2340

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Hey, I think in their winter catalog they have a diesel engined version of that generator.

Also Barb, what is the length of the generator you are trying to replace?

I'll look in the catalog for the diesel version.

Existing generator is just under 13".

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Your statement "they'd rather I" leads me to believe there is another split in the revenue/decision making process. (fingers in the pot)

Read people. Read.

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Oh, I see what you're saying, Colonel, and I wasn't very clear I guess. What I meant was that the manufacturer of the unit does not wish to service it or produce retro parts. They have gone to a new design. Gotta remember that the genset has over 14k hours on it and has run great most of that time. Over time I have changed the radiator (and had plenty of bruises in places I've never had bruises before to show for it!), an alternator, oil and hi temp switches, but the rest has been maintenace (oil changes, can bearings, etc.)

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Hal-le-lui-a!!! Found a man in Leesburg. FL, who KNOWS my Powertech APU-7000. His over-the-phone diagnosis is that the problem with my generator could be any of the following:
• diode
• exciter stator
• voltage regulator
• the generator itself

He is familiar with the pulley driven Harbor Freight unit I was considering as a way to utilize my 3 cylinder Kubota engine to generate AC, and says that he has replaced many of them. He says the unit is designed for high wattage/low duration power for the use of power tools in the field, and that they do not stand up to the continuous workload we give them in trucking.

I told him that the PTU has 14000+ hours on it and he said he has repaired these units when they had over 50,000 hours.

He has access to all of the parts he suspects as being defective, and is willing to do the work. Worst case scenario…$1,628.91 for the generator + labor.

Well worth the cost to restore my unit to proper operation.

Thanks so much for your input, and I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I’m delighted! I love my Powertech PTU!