Small generator question

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Hi! I just bought my first straigt truck.I will hire a team.I do not have money for an aditional large investment but I want to provide my drivers a level of confort.I'm thinking to buy a portable generator.I found a nice 1000 watt one (2.5 hp 4 cycle Mitsubishi OHV engine) and a Honda EU 2000 Watt one(2.5 hp OHC engine).Should I buy one of this ,and if yes wich one,or not and let idle the engine with $4 per gallon.Thank you

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
What are you going to hook the generator to?? Roof top Air? Computer?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Just use a converter on a battery pack for thos things.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At about a gallon per hour I wouldn't want to idle the engine with $4 fuel. I also wouldn't want to have to deal with a gasoline powered generator. That's going to require getting out to fill it every few hours as well as carrying and storing gasoline. If I were driving the truck I'd want a diesel generator that taps into the main supply so there's no fuel issues to deal with. I'd also have to have an air conditioner for the summer, not just a fan. That could run off a gasoline generator but then you're back to the fuel issues.

You could use an inverter off the batteries for the items you mentioned but some are fairly high draw so the engine would have to run quite a bit to keep the batteries up. I'd recommend doing a lot of reading in these forums in threads on similar topics. You'll find some good information scattered about. Good luck.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
You could use an inverter off the batteries for the items you mentioned but some are fairly high draw so the engine would have to run quite a bit to keep the batteries up.

I have a 1750 W inverter ,now I use this one,but last time after 2-4 hour of using it my batteries went down.I have two batteries on my truck.....
So the small generator it's not a good idea?I know this is not the best way, but I think it is more than nothing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would actually get neither unless you got a team in a smaller truck who can move the truck to the gas pumps every 7 hours or so..... or have a team who wants to deal with walking to gas pumps with a $250 DOT approved gas can.

I would consider those problems as a show stopper but I would also think that parts and service availability is another issue to consider. These generators are not really made for high usage unless you get into Honda's commercial portable generators and then you may as well invest the extra $2k to get a APU.

I just got another honda, it has to be overhauled and has 6000 hours on it. It was well taken care of but now it burns oil and needs rings, maybe even a piston. The cost (my cost) for the overhaul is $450 with 'free' labor and have a week wait for the parts because my local honda dealer does not stock them. With the number of Chinese throw aways on the market, I picked up a 3000 watt generator for $200, I don't expect it to last more then 1000 hours before I have major problems with it and the parts are almost impossible to get. I would make a great learning toy for some kids when I am done with it.

And if you are considering using it for A/C, look at the startup current needed, not the running current. I would shoot for 3000 watts or more.

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Sooo, Greg, have you mounted a tank dedicated to gasoline on the truck or do you refill the generator a few gallons at a time?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Nope, neither.

I have a small tank on the generator that is in the truck and that's it.

I got my gas can confiscated (long story and not for public viewing and had nothing to do with my truck) and was told to get a DOT certified gas can, not a plastic one from Pep boys (actually mine came from one of the stores I bought out).

I don't use the generator except to charge my batteries. I need it when I drain them from my all night parties I host with the big radio I have. it drains the batteries quickly. ;)

I think that the honda manual for the one I just got says that it will run for 10 hours on 7 gallons of gas.

I would think that you could use a diesel tank mounted on the frame, lots of 30 and 40 gallon tanks out there. One issue I brought up is filling the tank, if the truck is too big, it may not be permitted to fill the tank in the gas lanes but the other issue may just be a slight issue is vapor recovery for a tank used for gas in placed like California.

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
I have a rooftop DuoTherm A/C unit with heat strip, a couple of computers, microwave, TV, etc.

So, here is my situation. I have a wonderful PowerTech APU-7000. It has served me well…14,540 hrs worth. I’ve always had the can bearings in the generator changed like clockwork, and maintained the Kubota engine like my life depended on it. In spite of this, the generator end bit the dust this week. I can’t find a generator end anywhere, and have been told that even if I could, the cost would be prohibitive.

So I am kicking around my options…

Honda makes an ultra quiet unit that meets CARB standards. It could sit right inside my existing PTU sidebox and if not illegal, I would add a tank dedicated to gasoline…somewhere.

I could buy 4 or 6, 6v golf cart batteries, wire them 2/leg into a parallel circuit and connect that to one of my smart switches then run off my 1750w, 180a inverter. Charge both my ‘accessory’ battery bank and my start battery bank running down the road from the truck alternator. I’d have to add a relay to isolate my 3 start batteries when sitting and running off my inverter. I could use the 12v feed from my Kubota to keep a charge on the ‘accessory’ batteries them when in use.

Or…Harbor Freight has a Detroit Power flywheel driven generator I’ve been looking at for $289. Pretty amazing little unit, 10k watts peak and 7.2k watts continuous. I could then remove the generator end from my PTU and couple the new generator via flywheel. The only problem will be that I will have to have the PTU box altered to accommodate an additional 3” of generator.

Any recommendations?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Is the alternator on the apu more than the 50 amp delcos that seem to be put on them?

If it is, you may want to look into a 150 or 200 amp alternator to charge the battery bank with maybe a Balmar regulator to ensure that the batteries are charged correctly.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So you like the battery bank better than the other options?

Well actually, in a way I do but I can't see using them for high current loads, I would end up using the generator for the microwave, the grill, coffee maker and anything else I can think of that will take up a lot of current. There is a trade off with weight vs. truck fuel consumption.

I thought about using a 10k btu A/C unit but I am leaning towards the block of ice system that KW has been saying is their innovation using a 21k btu system to freeze a solution to maintain a cool sleeper. There are a few serious issues with that system, like weight and the inability to balance a temperatures, but those are things I am not going into here.

I have a three page article I got to finish that describes what I am talking about. Maybe if I don't get interrupted at home with stupid stuff, I can get to publish it and the other ones sitting in the que.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
2motha trkrs: A couple years ago I purchased a 3700 RV gasoline generator, has it's own container to exclude the elements, and made it easy to mount to the truck. A roof top RV AC unit, at a cost of $2300 combined. Mounted the generator, roof top. Hardwired the two together, and split off anuther 110 for a 5 plug strip that was wired inside the camper. Installed an 18 gallon gasoline tank for the generator. Total cost at $2600.

Generator propaganda states .27 gph, dunno never checked, but i'm happy with it. Been trouble free for a couple years. We use a small electric heater with thermostat plugged into the strip for heat(may wanna consider a dual purpose roof top). Always have more than enough juice to do anything you choose (even run fairly large power tools). Quiet.

Downside (boohoo) ya hafta make an extra fuel stop at the gas island once in a while. If you are a bit handy, this may be the way to go.

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Col!

Thanks for your response and I’m glad you’ve a great solution to your electrical needs.

Here is my situation…already have a rooftop DuoTherm A/C unit with heatstrip, 2 smart switches and monitor unit, 1750 watt/180A inverter. My problem is that the generator end of my PowerTech APU has died! Can’t find a replacement as they’d rather I buy a whole new APU. The Kubota engine is still working fine after 14k + hours of service. At this time I’m leaning toward adding a nifty sounding unit from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do This unit is on sale in the stores for $289 so it wouldn’t be a great risk. I would remove the old generator end, have an extention welded to my gen box to accommodate the additional length added by the new pulley drive connection between my existing engine and the new generator. I could reuse all existing wiring, smart switches and monitor for fuse protection.

Aaand…if this doesn’t work I’ll buy a unit like yours and be looking for gasoline pumps with high clearance!

2Mutha Trkas

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hey, I think in their winter catalog they have a diesel engined version of that generator.

Also Barb, what is the length of the generator you are trying to replace?