Slow cargo van freight?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Best month i have had in 4 years...

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Bolt is a great company. I did 10,500 miles my first month with them. If I ever go back to being just a driver again I am going to work for bolt. But seeing as I can't pass a DOT physical that is practically out of the question. I might move my van over to Bolt. Me and my driver have been talking about it for a few days now, but I gotta give my multi-carriers a chance first. Hows the road these days? I miss seeing all of you guys out there.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I used the truck search on Load 1 web site. It contains almost everyone out there.

Yeah that will give you somewhat of an accurate picture of who is out there. But it won't tell you how many Fedex Custom Critical trucks are out there or how many Panther trucks. It also has the same units posted multiple times with multiple companies which gives inacurate information. They are going to post the vin numbers of the trucks now to eliminate some of that confusion. I suspect this is going to be a big shock to the brokers when they see that the same trucks are listed with a bunch of different carriers. I will have to see what it looks like when I get another Sylectus account.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I would sit there atleast till Monday. ...on Mondays there is over 150 loads go out of there ....:D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

How is Mark Heiges these days. I loved listening to him in the orientation talking about how they used to write truck locations down on a chalk board before Sylectus came along. It just fascinates me how people come up with an innovative idea that revolutionizes an entire industry. I wish I could have started a company back in 2000 when things were going good and it was easier to bust onto some of the bigger load boards. Any how don't let anyone tell you bolt is a bad company or cheap because when I was there the lowest rate I ever got was 70 CPM and that was on a load from San Diego all the way back to Milan Michigan. Bolt got me out of southern Californina 4 out of five times I was home!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
10,500 miles at what rate?? It's not about the miles, it's about the rate.Work smarter, not harder.

But according to my math, ,,isn t 60 % of 2000 miles more Money in your pocket compared to 70 % of 800 miles. ...

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yup. Bolt has a lot of customers. I only turned down 1 load while I was there. Yeah to take 2 weeks off in California and then go back in service and that same day have a 2k mile load. That is the power of Bolt.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
10,500 miles at what rate?? It's not about the miles, it's about the rate.Work smarter, not harder.

I averaged 85 cents per mile for all loaded miles while I was at bolt. That isn't bad in my eyes. It worked for me and I was able to put 10 in the bank in 8 months. But some might want higher rates and that is fine as well. I made good money in my cargo van when I was with them. Load One does not take on cargo vans so I can't compare my rates at bolt with Load One. I didn't need to make a lof of money per mile - I bought my van for 5k and had low overhead!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I averaged 85 cents per mile for all loaded miles while I was at bolt. That isn't bad in my eyes. It worked for me and I was able to put 10 in the bank in 8 months. But some might want higher rates and that is fine as well. I made good money in my cargo van when I was with them. Load One does not take on cargo vans so I can't compare my rates at bolt with Load One. I didn't need to make a lof of money per mile - I bought my van for 5k and had low overhead!

Right there is the fly in the ointment... Everyone's needs are different...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right there is the fly in the ointment... Everyone's needs are different...

Bingo, Ovm is todays winner ...Grand Prize 3 weeks of vocation in lovely Bison, SD.......but back to todays topic IT Depends on each persons needs. ..as mentioned on here many times. ...but it gets a little OLD listening to Pom Poms in 1 hand & a crying towel in the other hand. ...there is hustlers & sitters with almost every company. .The ? is do you want to Sit and whine cause dispatch hasn t found YOU a load or move on your own dime and into a HOT freight area......and as to look onto a truck search site. ..I could careless where all other Vans are sitting ...I m moving to where my company is seeing movement of freight ...not to where other companies are sitting..:thumbup:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Regarding the title, what sets freight for slow cargo vans apart from freight for other vans? More time on the run?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
It sounds to me like every one thinks freight only comes off a board, hence forth it's slow for everyone. Some companies (ie. Bolt, Load 1 etc) have companies that only do business with them and not on a board. Most of those folks are running.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
It sounds to me like every one thinks freight only comes off a board, hence forth it's slow for everyone. Some companies (ie. Bolt, Load 1 etc) have companies that only do business with them and not on a board. Most of those folks are running.

My last 3 weeks have been the best in 6 months! I'm tired today! Jus' sayin :D

Dale

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter

Well said Guido. I could run till the wheels fell off,....provided I run cheap freight. Not gonna happen. We only hurt ourselves when we do that. I have deadheaded out of some of the tougher areas rather than take it at half rate. It's not worth the wear and tear on my equipment.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok..thing is..we were running 10 years ago at $1.00 a mile when gas was only $1.50 a gallon and mechs. shop rate was like $65.00 an hr. and all other expenses were generously lower then they are now...and here we have some members 10 years later saying they are doing just fine at .90 a mile?.....DOH??.....i need enlightening on this concept.....

so 10 yrs in the future we'll be happy at the same .90?....by the above logic.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok..thing is..we were running 10 years ago at $1.00 a mile when gas was only $1.50 a gallon and mechs. shop rate was like $65.00 an hr. and all other expenses were generously lower then they are now...and here we have some members 10 years later saying they are doing just fine at .90 a mile?.....DOH??.....i need enlightening on this concept.....

HEY! I just found a shop that charges $62 per hour for labor! Don't know how good they are, will learn that soon. The truck is there now.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
HEY! I just found a shop that charges $62 per hour for labor!

Logo_full.gif

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
slow cargo van freight ? :D yep, i m not going to quit my day job to do it. .....:D

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Blizzard, a $1.10 ain't nothing unless you're trying to get out of Laredo. Everywhere else that's crap wages. I guess it's better than deadheading home, but Maverick who sat for 8 days at a truck stop looking at all the cargo vehicles sitting there then finally got a decent load out... plz... time is money, and truck stops are just glorified 7-11's, spend spend spend!!!

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator

I was running for Roberts/FECC at $2.00 mile when diesel was $.85/gallon!! I'd go to PHX and back to LA for $60 and gross $550! In 12 hours! I have the pay stubs still to prove it! Plz, now do you guys realize what's happening here? This site USED to be about "Say NO to CHEAP FREIGHT!", but now it's like everyone has bent over and taken it in the rear. I'm shaking my head in disbelief, maybe time to log-off for another three months...