Slingbox

gumball_anna

Seasoned Expediter
Slingbox

Imagine the ability to watch live television whenever your life takes you. The World Series in your cube. Emeril Live in your kitchen. Your local news in Singapore. Okay, now snap out of it, because the Slingbox is making that fantasy a reality. This groundbreaking device allows you to watch your television and all of it’s programming through the internet on a PC, MAC, or mobile device. That means you can always enjoy your favorite shows or sporting events – wherever you may roam.

The Slingbox is more than just a piece of beautifully molded hardware (okay, well, technically that is accurate), it comes with software too - we call it SlingPlayer. SlingPlayer installs on your PC, Mac or Mobile device, and lets you watch and control your Slingbox. The software incorporates the company's SlingStream technology to provide the best possible viewing experience over any network, and you don't have to touch a thing - it just streams as well as your network allows!
SlingPlayer is also very easy to use. A simple "TV Window" appears, and inside, voila, there's your TV. Want to change the channel? No problem, because right next to the TV Window is the SlingRemote window, which displays a graphical "virtual" remote. The SlingRemote has support for over 5000 different devices, including the latest cable boxes and DVRs, and often displays a realistic-looking remote that looks just like the one you left on your couch (it's under the pillows). The SlingPlayer encompasses several innovative features to bring your entire living room experience to your laptop, desktop, PDA, or smartphone (minus the couch potato). Click here if you want to see if your device is supported.
Finally you can watch and control your television wherever you are!

http://us.slingmedia.com/page/products.html

I love this product....I have had this since DEC. 2005.... I can be anywhere in the USA or Canada heck I can watch it any where in the world...and I can watch my tv in my computer room at home...my local news ect... from my laptop ....
The better your signal the better quality of the picture. All you need is the Singbox around $200.00 USD and a Router. There are no monthly fees. Ever!!!

This is what my the slingbox looks like on my laptop when i watch tv. You can fit the picture to the size of the screen but i prefer this size picture when I'm watching

[URL
slingboxtvimagets4.jpg
[/URL]

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use it with our Dish system at the house. I have it hooked to the tv in the last bedroom so nobody ever wants to watch it and I can have anything on I want. It works pretty well, although sometimes I can't get a good enough internet connection for seamless streaming. It's exponentially better than the standard tv that came in the truck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We just ordered one of these. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the information.

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Every day should be an adventure, not a treadmill.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I thought about doing this. I don't have a tv in my truck yet, and I haven't missed it.

BTW... some ppl call it a slingbox; I call it a kaiserbox. ;)

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
How would you hook this up to a laptop and what all would you need? Do you have to have a cable or satellite box hooked up with it?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
To give her credit tho, slingbox has been talked about here a few times. I've been tempted to try it out myself. This just gives those who haven't heard of it an idea. Only prob with it is someone needs to be at home turning the channel for you. Sux when you have insomnia at 3am and everyone is sleeping at home. :7

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Maybe Leo could address how he changes the channels. I would see it as a total waste without that capability.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The unit connects at the house between the cable input from the wall and the tv set. You control the tv from your laptop. There is a remote control shown in the photo on the left side. You can also just punch in the numbers for whatever channel you want. Nobody has to be at the house for it to work. The only potential problem is the tv shows whatever channel the slingbox is set to so you need to hook it to a spare tv not the main one. It will even work without cable/dish I believe but you'd only get the local channels so it would be an expensive way to get those.

You also have to have a high speed internet connection at the house. If your computer and router aren't within cable reach of the slingbox location, and they probably won't be, you can get a remote kit for it that plugs into a wall outlet. It sends the signal through the house wiring and the other remote pulls it out next to the computer router and sends it to you over the internet. Only one computer can watch at a time although you could install it on more than one computer to be able to switch. Some people install it on their home computer too if they don't have tv in that room.

I hope that clarifies how it operates.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ahh... thanx Leo, that clears it up. I think when it first came out, there wasn't a remote. I might invest in it afterall.

gumball_anna

Seasoned Expediter
>How would you hook this up to a laptop and what all would
>you need? Do you have to have a cable or satellite box
>hooked up with it?

The following is a link that explains:
What do I need? To get started with any Slingbox!

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox-pro-techspecs

1. Windows or Mac based PC
2. High-speed internet connection
3. Home network router (Around $100.00)
4. Slingbox (Around $200.00)

You can also add cable or satellite, A DVR to record shows to watch when you want....Also other possibility's

No Monthly Fees from Slingbox
Watch and control your TV and its programming on your compatible cell phone, PDA, laptop or desktop with no monthly subscription fee.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Pretty clever to start a sales pitch on your very first post, especially after just joining.....NOT.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Well, you'd think if she was clever, she'd have waited and asked some questions first and gotten to know everyone before exposing her sole motive.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

Caldonna

Expert Expediter
We have been using slingbox for over a year, major problem is signal strength provided continual streaming as was mentioned earlier. I have played with the idea of purchasing a cell phone signal booster, every techie I have talked to has said it should work, but I haven't shelled out the 300 or so bucks for a good one. Are any slingbox users out there using the signal booster and to what effect?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"Well, you'd think if she was clever, she'd have waited and asked some questions first and gotten to know everyone before exposing her sole motive."

Not to insult her but I have seen this a lot, posting info in the form like this and starting some interest and not going beyond the thread to be an active member about the subject of the site. I guess I seen it too much and I honestly think regardless, this thread should be moved to the tech section of EO.

Caldonna, I am a little confused about the cellphone signal booster and using slingbox? is it that you are using an air card and it has a poor signal or poor connection?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a Sprint aircard. I frequently get a good enough connection for continuous streaming. I also frequently have to minimize to the window that gives about a 4" diagonal screen. If I go full screen the resolution is very low. I have a 17" monitor. With a 15" monitor it would be some better. I rarely use the remote other than to push the select button to wake the dish up. Other than that, I use my numeric keypad. If someone is using the pc at home and downloading a file or picture that degrades the speed as well. Most other home pc use doesn't do anything.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
EO Forum Moderator
----------

gumball_anna

Seasoned Expediter
nothing to suspect here i have used this product since 2005 and thought i would share what i know about it... i love being able to watch my tv shows where ever i am......i have the sierra wireless 595 card through Verizion... has a great signal! :)

The heaviest baggage for a traveler is an empty wallet.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>nothing to suspect here i have used this product since 2005
>and thought i would share what i know about it... i love
>being able to watch my tv shows where ever i am......i have
>the sierra wireless 595 card through Verizion... has a great
>signal! :)

Well then, please don't mind me asking but are you an expediter or trucker or?