Sleeper for Sprinter?

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
I'm a prospective o/o and wondering if a conversion sleeper such as offered by Midway, Hanvey or Bentz would be the best decision in a Sprinter. I'm reading about all the layover time, so I'm concerned that I will need economical lodging but the sleeper unit takes away from cargo space and weight hauling capacity. Better off with a wall hanging drop down cot? (would get old quick) Do I go with the 170" wheelbase or the 170 extended. More room with extended but I give up weight capacity. If I do get into expediting it will definatly be a new Sprinter cause I have a great deal worked out. Any replys to this post will be apprecaited. I know this isn't the best of times to get into the bussiness, but it's also looking like it's time to take the retirement from Chrysler. :confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You're right, it's not the best of times to get into expediting. It's quite probably the worst of times to get into it, especially with a new vehicle. If you plan on taking your retirement and paying cash, cash, cash for the vehicle and having zero debts when you start, as well as having at least $5000 in reserve, then you'll be OK.

One of the most important things about being out for weeks at a time is getting proper rest. You have to balance that fact with the ability to carry an extra skid once in a while. I recommend a permanent bunk, or at the very least one you can pull down and sleep in even while fully loaded, because there are times when you are loaded that you will have to sleep.

In any case, learning expediting takes time, and I'm not sure I'd recommend learning it with a new vehicle, regardless. You'll spend a snotload of money of a new Sprinter, then 6 months or a year down the road (assuming you're still in the business that long, which is, frankly, a long shot assumption), you'll realize that you should have done this or that different, and won't be in the position to rectify the problems. Like, one that most completely forget about is insulating the van completely. It's nearly impossible to properly insulate a van after it's been properly outfitted for expediting.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Here is my advice for you on this. Do not get into it right now. However, if you still want to get in, do not buy a new vehicle. To get a new sprinter it will cost you over $40000. To add one of those sleeper thingies, I don't know, but I suspect about $10000, I might be wrong, but still a lot of money. You will not make enough money for the payment and insurance and fees right now with no experience.
But, if you want to go at it, I have 2 alternatives for you:
1. Find a fleet owner and start driving for them for a year or so. This time you get experience, you learn how the business works, maybe in a year the freight will pick up and then you can buy your new sprinter and do what you want.
2. If you still want to own your own van, find a used one, there are many for sale right now and pay cash for it.
With both of these choices you will not have much invested, and if it doesn't work, you will not loose much. I consider myself lucky that I paid my van off last summer, because with the money I am making now, I could not afford a $600 a month payment (this was for a $30000 van, yours will be much higher).
Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Reading between the lines here...If he is retiring from Chrysler, chances are he can get a hell of a deal on a Sprinter as an employee purchase, and this might very well be a one time deal for him. The freight slow down appears to be superfluous to his decision, and assumes that he can weather the storm financially.

Best of luck,

Scott

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
First, let me say thanks to everyone that has taken the time to reply and for sharing your wisdom with the newbie. Yes Jack, I do realize that this is possibly the worst time ever to get into expediting, and I appreciate your words to keep that on the forefront of my thoughts and to keep my enthusiasm bridled.
But this is where the rubber meets the road. Mdbtyhtr is the person I would want looking over my lease contract before I sign, because he not only reads between the lines with great accuracy, I think he would pick up the fine print too. The facts are: I have until the end of March to accept the retirement incentive, which includes a new vehicle voucher for 25k and a cash bonus. I would probably pay off the vehicle as Turtle suggested, or finance if the small business write off would be a wiser way to go. (still researching) Trucking is something I have always wanted to do since I got a taste of it, driving tactical tractor trailers (6 wheelin semi's) in my days with the corps. Semper Fi. I wish all that read this well, and hope that the economic stimulus package does just that and gets things moving again. God Bless our troops & God Bless America :cool:

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
RonJonCMC,

Thanks for the positives, but I am not in this business yet, just researching the opportunities. There is no substitute for proper preparation, so consult an attorney that knows the logistics business, but you already knew that.

Best of luck,

Scott

ds1450

Expert Expediter
I have no idea why anyone would buy a Sprinter. Nothing but a headache. They cost a fortune to buy and maintain. Good old fashion Ford or Chevy, Top it out and you save money. I have gone trough 2 of these piles of crap and know of 12 others and to a T, no one I know who is honest about it would buy another. Steer clear.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I have no idea why anyone would buy a Sprinter.
I would hope that you would have at least some idea ..... afterall ..... you have bought two of 'em apparently .....

Nothing but a headache. They cost a fortune to buy and maintain.
Hasn't been my experience, but then I do most of my maintenance myself.

Good old fashion Ford or Chevy, Top it out and you save money.
These days, I suspect there is not much that is "old-fashioned" about any of the offerings from the big three ...

I have gone trough 2 of these piles of crap and know of 12 others
I dunno ...... it might have something to do with how they are being driven and/or cared for.

and to a T, no one I know who is honest about it would buy another.
Well, I would buy another .... based on my experience so far.

Could that change ? ..... sure, you bet ...... but so far ..... so good. :rolleyes:

aileron

Expert Expediter
I have no idea why anyone would buy a Sprinter. Nothing but a headache. They cost a fortune to buy and maintain. Good old fashion Ford or Chevy, Top it out and you save money. I have gone trough 2 of these piles of crap and know of 12 others and to a T, no one I know who is honest about it would buy another. Steer clear.

I would buy another one, definitely. Haven't had major problems with mine yet, but like RLENT I do the maintenance of my van. Here are 2 things that made me buy the sprinter over the 'good old fashion Ford or Chevy': room and fuel economy. I have 265000 miles on my sprinter and by now the extra money that I paid for it I made back up with the fuel savings. And fuel savings still add up every mile. After owning this sprinter I can tell you that I would not own a Ford or a Chevy unless they come up to the fuel mileage I get now.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Aside from the other advice about this not being the best time to get in, I'll tell you how I fit mine out. I think the setup I have is probably a best of both worlds type of setup. I have the 170" extended. I measured from the back end 12' and set that aside for cargo and built a wall at that spot. Then I built a small frame on the other side of that wall and put a 25" wide mattress on that frame. That still leaves me about 18" between the edge of the bed and the back of the seats, which is enough room to stand up and get dressed. I have a permanent sleeper that is just big enough for one person with room enough for some storage cabinets behind the seats and I can still fit three standard skids in the cargo area.

Right now, there is no way I would set up a van with less than 12' in the cargo area and I wouldn't want anything shorter than a Sprinter either. All those skids that are over 48" tall can still be hauled in a Sprinter. Good luck fitting those in that old fashioned Ford or Chevy.

guido4475

Not a Member
i understand where you are coming from about a sprinter.a sprinter wins hands-down on space, fuel economy,and quietness.but, having owned 2 freightliner products in the past, (a new century and a fl-70,) i swore i would never have another freightliner product.the quality is terrible.it often reminded me of a snap-together model from k-mart.the resale value is low as well.i was in the shop all of the time with my freightliners.i finally had to get rid of them.it was either sell or go bankrupt.please understand,i am a do-it yourselfer,and believe in doing it right the first time.but i just could not believe how bad these 2 trucks fell apart literally from day one . so when i am looking for a cargo van, as i am now, it is a ford.more durable,dependable.not as comfy or as good as fuel mileage,but i know it'll make it to where i am going. as long as i can get 2 skids in it i am happy.that leaves me with 30 inches for a small bed/sleeper.i am not going to live in it.and with me having a 10-wheeler, you would not believe how many van loads i have done that will fit in a ford.it is amazing.so why not go to a van?

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks again for all the advise and commentary. It really is appreciated by someone that is trying to take in all the facts before I make a move. I'm still very much on the fence about retirement. I have a good job and enjoy the family time, most of the time anyhow LOL. At the present I'm thinking of waiting a few more years, when the wife and I can drive straight truck as a team. Hopefully the economy will be back at a full clip by then too. Peace, prosperity and safe travels to all. RonJon :cool:

Jdraegon

Seasoned Expediter
having owned 2 freightliner products in the past, (a new century and a fl-70,) i swore i would never have another freightliner product.the quality is terrible.it often reminded me of a snap-together model from k-mart.the resale value is low as well. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . why not go to a van?

First, let me say in defence of freightliner (and I defend them reluctantly as I have only owned Peterbilts), they stand up to all kinds of driving by people who have never driven anything larger than a Honda Accord, they take an amazing amount of abuse and stay fairly reliable, Freightliner has been the class 8 learning platform for about 30 years now (in my personal experiance).

Second, Sprinters are made by Mercedes, they are no more a Freightliner than they are a Dodge.

Third, try to lease on somewhere with a cargo van, they will tell you thanks but no thanks, Sprinters only need apply!