Side Marker Lights

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know the regs on what is required for marker lights on the side of the cargo box/truck? Or, where I can find them?

Overall length of truck is about 35 feet, but the cargo box is only 22 feet. My understanding is side markers only required at front corner and middle side if box/trailer is over 25 feet.

Any helpon this? Thanks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Get a copy of the regs, [little green book] at any truckstop - the requirements are all there, with diagrams. It's always good to have it handy, to settle any questions.
And I need to get one too, as I can't remember where I put mine, sigh.:eek:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know the regs on what is required for marker lights on the side of the cargo box/truck? Or, where I can find them?

Overall length of truck is about 35 feet, but the cargo box is only 22 feet. My understanding is side markers only required at front corner and middle side if box/trailer is over 25 feet.

Any helpon this? Thanks.

So am I to assume from your post that you only want to go with the minimum amount of lighting required?

LED lights save lives!! MORE is better !!:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is the link to the regulations -

Lighting regs

The green book has a good chart with what lights are what.

The box size has little to do with it, it is the overall length of the truck for some applications but being over 10k is the key.

The box has two lights on the side, five in the back and the front as clearance lights. The clearance lights are made up of three in the center for centerline indication and two on the outside as width indicators - technically I am told the fronts should be on the box because that is the widest point. The box front side light are amber and back is red - both are to indicate height of the vehicle.

Hope that helps.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is the link to the regulations -

Lighting regs

The green book has a good chart with what lights are what.

The box size has little to do with it, it is the overall length of the truck for some applications but being over 10k is the key.

The box has two lights on the side, five in the back and the front as clearance lights. The clearance lights are made up of three in the center for centerline indication and two on the outside as width indicators - technically I am told the fronts should be on the box because that is the widest point. The box front side light are amber and back is red - both are to indicate height of the vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. This was very helpful. Much appreciated.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get a copy of the regs, [little green book] at any truckstop - the requirements are all there, with diagrams. It's always good to have it handy, to settle any questions.
And I need to get one too, as I can't remember where I put mine, sigh.:eek:

Yes, I cannot find mine either - or at least it is not where I thought I had put it. I too will have to purchase a new one.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"How much is too much" is a matter of taste, I'd say. But it's also a matter of risk, as DOT can and will put you out of service for even one burned out light, and lights can and do burn out between the pretrip inspection and the DOT inspection. [A headlight did me in, once.]:(
I recently heard of a driver who was given 2 OOS violations for marker lights, and then fined $100 for each violation by his carrier, because of CSA.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think you drive for FedEx, ask them to send you a new copy.

I got dinged for a marker light on my truck, no fine but it was a pita to fix, it was a bad light socket.

Speaking of Headlights, anyone seen the new LED ones?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think you drive for FedEx, ask them to send you a new copy.

I got dinged for a marker light on my truck, no fine but it was a pita to fix, it was a bad light socket.

Speaking of Headlights, anyone seen the new LED ones?

We lost a headlight the other night. Luckily no one saw and it was just a few miles to a rest stop where we could pull in and change it safely.

Not seen the LED headlights, where did you find them?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I got ticketed two years ago for an inoperative marker light, top-left-rear, and was not put out of service (those four points are the only CSA points I have on my record in the last three years).

I know that because Terry O'Connell looked up Diane's and my record for us at our request. (Diane has zero CSA points in the last three years).

FedEx Custom Critical is developing a CSA resource in Terry O'Connell. While I stand by the criticisms I have leveled against the position and the way he goes about his work (and have more criticisms that I have so far kept to myself), it is also true that Mr. O'Connell is, largely by his own initiative, developing CSA knowledge from a driver's point of view that can be invaluable.

A recent FedEx Custom Critical fleet bulletin highlighted the importance of having the citing officer specify exactly which light is being cited. While it is a myth widely believed by drivers, carriers and officers, it is not true that all lights must be working at all times.

Non-required marker lights (like the 94 chicken lights we have on our truck) need not be operative to be legal. I would not have known this without the information O'Connell distributed in the fleet message. Having the errant officer specify that a non-required light is being cited will give you the ability fight the CSA points later.

Over the lunch Diane and I recently had with O'Connell and a subsequent conversation near our truck, it was clear to me that he has developed an above-average level of knowledge regarding CSA, especially as it applies to trucks and drivers.

I would suggest that FedEx Custom Critical drivers contact O'Connell with any CSA questions they may have. As much as I dislike the fact that our carrier saw fit to create a Field Safety Liaison position, we are stuck with it, at least for now, so you might as well put the resource to good use.

Giving credit where credit is due, I recommend O'Connell to FedEx Custom Critical contractors as a competent, ready and free CSA resource.

I don't know if he carries coveralls and a creeper in his van but if you can talk him into doing a level one inspection on your truck, or at least a level two or level three, you would be money ahead if violations are found. Unlike scale cops, O'Connell does not issue citations that carry CSA points.

Making such a request would also demonstrate to a company representative who documents the contacts he makes with trucks and drivers that you have the compliance attitude our carrier wishes to see.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that having the "Little green dot reg book" in a commercial vehicle is required by the dot.And a person may be fined for not having one.How can one misplace it to begin with?There should be a special place withing reach so whenyou get pulled over everything is where it is supposed to be, in order.These books are free from most carriers.How often does one check the experation dates on the permits,etc in youre permit book?It only takes 10 minutes a month, and can save alot of trouble in the long run. Shread the old ones that are out of date.Don't depend on youre safety man, they are not perfect, and have alot to do.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that having the "Little green dot reg book" in a commercial vehicle is required by the dot.And a person may be fined for not having one.How can one misplace it to begin with?There should be a special place withing reach so whenyou get pulled over everything is where it is supposed to be, in order.These books are free from most carriers.How often does one check the experation dates on the permits,etc in youre permit book?It only takes 10 minutes a month, and can save alot of trouble in the long run. Shread the old ones that are out of date.Don't depend on youre safety man, they are not perfect, and have alot to do.

Good point. That same thought occured to me last night, so I did some searching and found it in a drawer. It has now been moved to a better and more accessable location.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Guido, YES it is a requirement.

FedEx used to send them free on request. Panther may and so on - they are $2 a piece in quantity and ever carrier should hand the out for free. I think there is a stack of them at every training center at my carrier.

Permits are another thing, the carrier should be pm top of things with permits but it does not hurt to keep a list of those which will expire.

I think the panic over the CSA 2010 is a panic, as it has been describe to me, everyone will have some thing on their record, only the very careful and very lucky will avoid any points.

FedEx will with no doubt use it to clean house as they seem to have that habit at times, other carriers may mitigate their borderline contractors the same way but for those who have a limited amount of points and a good track record of correcting issues, it won't be a big deal.

AND phil, you redeemed yourself with the Terry issue already.

Layout, Trucklite makes them, LED Headlight

They are not cheap, a set for a round lighted truck will run about $500. They have been making them for the military for a bit now, I have two sets sitting in my shop to be put on a pickup to try them out.

I got a lesson on how lights are DOT 'approved', pretty interesting, and simple.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Interesting Greg, I like the idea of the LED headlamps. I did not see any but the 7" round. We don't use sealed beams.

CSA 2010 should NOT be a problem to a good truck or drivers. It is, however, very open to abuse. The very idea that it has retroactive points bothers me, a lot. I don't believe that is proper, at least not in my book.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My little green book got misplaced because I haven't been in this truck long enough to have figured out the best usage of limited space, and am frequently rearranging things. But I must say, after a dozen DOT inspections over the years, no one has ever asked to see it.
Permits: the first of each year, I go through the book, highlighting expiration dates, and recording them on an index card [which is on the first pg] for quick reference, and that works for me - because Safety has been known to get behind in sending them, once in awhile.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
CSA 2010 should NOT be a problem to a good truck or drivers. It is, however, very open to abuse. The very idea that it has retroactive points bothers me, a lot. I don't believe that is proper, at least not in my book.

The retro points isn't really the issue, the issue is the mechanism that is not there for the driver to fight the points gained by the abuse. This is an issue for more than the drivers, the carries are at risk when you have a disgruntled inspector targeting their trucks. BUT the carrier can pull some crap with logs and inspection reports.

Many feel that the CSA 2010 will be the vacuum that will gut the driver's pool, which I don't think it will. I think a lot of drivers won't want to deal with another hassle and leave as the economy gets better but this will not be a large amount that will help the industry as a whole.

The large carriers want to see the CSA 2010 as it stands, they make a BFD out of it because they know it will not address the issues of a revolving door style hiring practices or the crap training that goes on within the industry. They won't change tactics anytime soon because CSA 2010 does not address mitigating the problems before they are problems.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just have a great distrust when things are made retroactive.

I am also concerned with much of the medical stuff that is being thrown about. Like the sleep apnea, neck sizes etc. The science involved is VERY suspect and not to be trusted. Far too many parties with conflicts of interest involved. NO REAL evidence to back things up. No way to dispute it if you are hit with it. Too much big money in the picture to believe what is going on.

guido4475

Not a Member
Guido, YES it is a requirement.

FedEx used to send them free on request. Panther may and so on - they are $2 a piece in quantity and ever carrier should hand the out for free. I think there is a stack of them at every training center at my carrier.

Permits are another thing, the carrier should be pm top of things with permits but it does not hurt to keep a list of those which will expire.

I think the panic over the CSA 2010 is a panic, as it has been describe to me, everyone will have some thing on their record, only the very careful and very lucky will avoid any points.

FedEx will with no doubt use it to clean house as they seem to have that habit at times, other carriers may mitigate their borderline contractors the same way but for those who have a limited amount of points and a good track record of correcting issues, it won't be a big deal.

AND phil, you redeemed yourself with the Terry issue already.

Layout, Trucklite makes them, LED Headlight

They are not cheap, a set for a round lighted truck will run about $500. They have been making them for the military for a bit now, I have two sets sitting in my shop to be put on a pickup to try them out.

I got a lesson on how lights are DOT 'approved', pretty interesting, and simple.

Not having the unused or harly requested green dot reg book is like having a ton of tools in the garage.I may only use a particular tool once, but it is worth it when it is used. Not having the green book and taking for granted it will never be asked for is when it will happen.Along with a remeberable ticket.

Just like the good book says we are supposed to have in our vehicle one of every bulb type used in our vehicle, along with fuses, etc. How many do not have that in their truck?I often see drivers getting raped at a truckstop for a headlight that they could of bought at wal-mart while at home last time to have in the truck, instead they pay sometimes 3 times as much in a truckstop for soemthing they should of had to begin with.

In a way, I cannot wait until the csa kicks in.From what I have seen recently, accidents and all, in the parking lots as well as on the road, I sure hope it cleans the industry of drivers who cannot figure out how to pay attention to details and their surroundings from hitting things, whether they be stationary or moving. Way too much carelessness out here now and days.And, unfortunately, it is only getting worse.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

The retroactivity bothers me too. If you drive through an uncontrolled intersection on Monday, they erect a stop sign on Wednesday, and give you a ticket on Friday for the violation you are said to have committed on Monday, is that fair?

If they changed the rules of NFL football and then went back through past games to re-score the plays under the new rules, and then pronounced new winners and losers, is that fair?

If you get a warning ticket for speeding in 2009, disagree that you were speeding, but don't fight it because there is nothing to fight (it was a warning ticket with no points attached), and then in 2010 they change the rules to say the warning ticket carries CSA points and they charge the points to you in a way that counts today, is that fair?

If you were driving a company truck in 2009 and got cited for an equipment violation (say turn signal lamp), and the company did not hold it against you, and the company paid the fine, and you did not worry about it because the violation does not add points to your driver's license, and you did not bother to fix it on the spot because to you at the time the violation was inconsequential and it is the company's union mechanic's job to fix it;...and then in 2010, they change the rules to make that prior violation count against you in CSA points that are so consequential that you can lose your job if you get too many, is that fair?

Driver behavior is changing now because the rules and the consequences for different kinds of violations have changed. But it is just plain wrong, and it is a form of government oppression and regulatory abuse, to change the rules retroactively.

There is nothing fair or right about assigning violation points to a driver under new rules when the points were earned under old rules. I don't know of any now but would not be surprised to see a law suit rise to challenge the practice.

There are drivers out there today that may lose their jobs with the next tail light that burns out on them while driving; not because they are bad drivers, but because new rules were retroactively applied to old violations like warning tickets.

These poor souls should not lose their jobs. They should be given the chance to modify their behavior and run under the new rules from this point forward. It is unfair and wrong to put them under new rules that penalize them today for their behavior from this point backward.

Last edited: