shower in truck

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
If you have a shower in your truck, where is the best place to fill your water tank? And how do you drain it? Never used one and I'm curious.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I use a five gallon water container and it drains into a five gallon container when I'm done.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Flying J, Pilot and Loves generally have working hydrants on the fuel islands. TA is a bit more hit and miss, but many have them. Petro isn't so good with water availability.

Oh, and as far as draining, as long as there's no pee-pee or do-do, just drain it anywhere.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We do not have a shower but have a 10 gallons tank for water and a 3 gallon hot water tank. In our old truck we filled with bottled water that we purchased at Walmart.

We use more water now then we did in the past as I have found it much easier to cook in this truck. We bought a filter in the RV section and use a hose to fill our water tank.

Highway Star hit the nail square on the head of how we find water and the places we are able to locate the water. When there is a need we can get it done!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just because you have a filter, doesn't mean much. Some of the stuff in the water can't be easily filtered out and some of the bacteria doesn't get filtered out unless the filter is a high end filter system.

I would still use distilled or water from a jug for eating or drinking and the water from the T/S for cleaning everything except dishes.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I have a shower in the Hino.
used to fill at the fuel Islands, but @ winter time some are frozen & closed.
many places have a garden fosset ,and will always allow a fill up if i asked nicely.
i used the had a one gallon plastic tank over the sink, and used to fill it up from the hot water tank. the water heater is warmed by the antifreeze coolant and can easily fried a frog !
the toilet holding tank, (black water) needs to be flashed into an RV dump.
here's the link : Welcome | rvdumps.com
the shower drain,(gray water) is dumped under the truck.
we used to park over rain drains if we took a shower. some western states do not allow that anymore.
but there's nothing like taking a shower moving down the road, and hearing a swarm of load Hurly's passing by... :D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
For some reason Moose I am not thinking your shower sounds very relaxing... I had not thought about winter and finding water thanks for the info.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have them in our trucks and in the winter we are never up north that long. Fill in the south and reload on the return trip.
It seems once drivers have it, they won't go back.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
So the cleanest of course is bottled water? What about flying j? Dont RV's use the water there? In the RV fueling area?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Bottled water, water from those machines - yes.

Flying J RV pump side water outlets - no way. I've seen people fill their black water tank with that water when it is clearly marked "for drinking only".

moose

Veteran Expediter
It seems once drivers have it, they won't go back.
Yes, but from a fleet owner perspective, is that a good recruiting/retention investment ?
looks like most do not ask for it, and this item hardly attract drivers.
that well needed space in the sleeper can be better used.

one,of many, rezones i spe'c the trucks with a shower, is that at the time Truck stops where clearly on the way out of providing free drivers amenity's.
this have changed in recent years,
and the flying pilot just announced an upgrades of all of it's shower facility's (and philosophy ! ).
i do not think a shower will be a part of my next sleeper.

moose

Veteran Expediter
... I had not thought about winter and finding water thanks for the info.
one other winter problem, is that we cannot allow the sleeper to freeze. one winter i parked the truck for a few weeks in the house,(not IN the house), and had to winterized it.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
A shower in the sleeper is for the rich and famous truckers only. And all of us gold plated truck stars know that every Wal-Mart SuperCenter has water fill stations under the name of Culligan Water and Island Stations. Ok, so there are a few SuperCenters that do not have water, but most do.
We have a 40 gallon water tank, three 5 gallon containers for water filling, a 6 gal. water heater and heated water lines into the truck to prevent freezing during winter truck sleigh bell time.
The shower has saved money and time on the road allowing us to maintain our rich and famous looks and life style.
P.S. The Golden Lugnut is really Platinum.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
A shower in the sleeper is for the rich and famous truckers only. And all of us gold plated truck stars know that every Wal-Mart SuperCenter has water fill stations under the name of Culligan Water and Island Stations. Ok, so there are a few SuperCenters that do not have water, but most do.
We have a 40 gallon water tank, three 5 gallon containers for water filling, a 6 gal. water heater and heated water lines into the truck to prevent freezing during winter truck sleigh bell time.
The shower has saved money and time on the road allowing us to maintain our rich and famous looks and life style.
P.S. The Golden Lugnut is really Platinum.

We have not reached the plateau of being rich and famous... We are still copper plated and have not reached the gold plated standards you guys have obtained yet...
I really got a chuckle out of reading your post it was fun.

We are still of the truck drivers who have to use baby wipes at

That is a big water heater is that the standard size on a sleeper with a shower?

Our old truck had a ten gallon tank and when we were at home we drained the water tank and also placed a small heater in the truck with the bed lifted.

We went with more storage and a bigger box to stay a D unit. I figured I would get tired of cleaning the shower and turn it into a storage closet. I think the showers would really be awesome in the winter to hang wet coats in to drip dry.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
We have not reached the plateau of being rich and famous... We are still copper plated and have not reached the gold plated standards you guys have obtained yet...
I really got a chuckle out of reading your post it was fun.

We are still of the truck drivers who have to use baby wipes at

That is a big water heater is that the standard size on a sleeper with a shower?

Our old truck had a ten gallon tank and when we were at home we drained the water tank and also placed a small heater in the truck with the bed lifted.

We went with more storage and a bigger box to stay a D unit. I figured I would get tired of cleaning the shower and turn it into a storage closet. I think the showers would really be awesome in the winter to hang wet coats in to drip dry.

Everything for the shower was custom. Water tank, water heater, water pump were installed in 60” side box that is insulated and heated. We never have fretted over freezing lines or tanks due to when the truck sits in the cold. We simply set the thermostat at about 50F to 60F and the gen. kicks on and off keeping everything comfy till our return from living the life style of the rich and famous.
Cleaning the shower is simple; a squeegee for the excess moisture, a quick wipe with a microfiber towel and shower is dry.  I like copper…

p.s Do you know when you’re no longer a newbie?
When you have stopped asking how it’s done and start telling them how it’s done.

guido4475

Not a Member
The shower on one of my older trucks drained outside, same with the sink,Toilet into the holding tank.I usually filled the water tanks up at the shop at a Petro or T/A in the winter, they were cool with it,letting me pull into the shop and fill up.