Serious bad weather in the midwest

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
My house ( west side of Kalamazoo) trees down everywhere..no power anywhere..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went thru Springfield, MO last night, and on I-44, I-540, I-40 in AR, this morning, strong winds, almost knock my van of the road!

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Hopefully everything is OK.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Thanks, my house is OK..tore up trees ..no power..I'm almost to El Paso...I don't have to deal with it..have a built in LP gen set ..so even no power is no big deal..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I woke up this morning in Chicago to 70º temperature, rain and wind. Kinda weird temperature wise for the middle of November. I missed the storms but did run into E.O. member billg27.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got lucky this morning. Left Milwaukee at 8 am for Edmonton AB. 45 minutes toward Madison I started getting the storm alerts. Called home and had family setup safe place in basement. Lucky the storms hit hard about 2-3 miles south of our home. We suffered no damage, no hail and never lost power.

Ran into Moot at the new J in Roberts WI. He recognized my van with the box and said hi. Always good to meet other EO members.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was nice to meet you Bill. Good luck battling the winds in North Dakota. Bring me back some Ghermezian Brother bobbleheads from Edmonton, being that OVM didn't bring me any from his recent trip.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm sitting on the Ohio/Pa border, where the wind & rain are just now kicking into high gear.
I read that Kokomo got hit hard, I wonder if that stack of Volkswagens [in Fort Wayne, I think] is still standing?
Note to Dispatch: I don't really want to go find out in person, ok?

Seriously: I hope nobody is driving through this!

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
Somebody tried to drive on I-55 what appeared to be DOUBLES (?) in this weather, and of course, dumped it and blocked one entire direction. The wind just dumped it over. What on EARTH were they thinking? They were talking about gusts hitting 70 mph in the prediction, instead it was "only" about 40... with a tornado that was rated at F4 at one point that skipped across Illinois for 100+ miles.

Every channel and every weather info for the entire nation was saying it's gonna happen...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Somebody tried to drive on I-55 what appeared to be DOUBLES (?) in this weather, and of course, dumped it and blocked one entire direction. The wind just dumped it over. What on EARTH were they thinking? They were talking about gusts hitting 70 mph in the prediction, instead it was "only" about 40... with a tornado that was rated at F4 at one point that skipped across Illinois for 100+ miles.

Every channel and every weather info for the entire nation was saying it's gonna happen...

Maybe the driver did not have the radio on.

Diane and I are in Bordentown, NJ, at the Petro. A team here received a call from family in the Midwest and were told that the storm chasers were setting up in their neighborhood. You know you are going to have an interesting day when you look out your window and see the storm chasers setting up.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I thank god that somehow we managed to have all the really bad weather go to the NE and south of us. It's like a shield was put up. Did have a small tornado 30 miles north in Tuscola, il but that was it for our area other than wind and rain that was ferocious. Haven't heard yet how effingham, il faired the storm but I can't find any reports on serious damage. Will call home to mattoon, il in a bit to check again once it get light.

we drove through wind on our way to the yard yesterday but after we got here at 5 pm last night the storms started. Lots of rain and high winds. Still blustery this morning.

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
This storm came across our house here in IL just outside St Louis like a gang buster, Hard rain and then wind gusts that were straight out of movie, at one point so many leaves were blowing around it was like a funnel cloud of leaves moved across our yard, we lost some limbs and then it took off right up 64, and out thru there it got bad, New Minden lost many homes, Peoria, Washington IL,and other areas are devastated....these late fall early winter storms are becoming a regular thing here, weve had Christmas and New Years storms the last few years.....it was 81 degrees at noon, by late afternoon it was 41.....those winds were demonic !!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The storm came through hard were we were hunting near Hubbard Lake, MI. The ONLY saving grace is that it is a rural area, not heavily populated. Many of those who do live there are without power with no estimate as to when it will be restored. The motel we were staying in lost power at 1600EST yesterday and as of 1000EST today it had not been restored. I heard no reports of injuries.

pwrwagn

Active Expediter
Maybe the driver did not have the radio on.

Diane and I are in Bordentown, NJ, at the Petro. A team here received a call from family in the Midwest and were told that the storm chasers were setting up in their neighborhood. You know you are going to have an interesting day when you look out your window and see the storm chasers setting up.

I suppose it could be. It's been predicted for like 2 days, as well - not the tornadoes, though. That prediction was only about a day ahead. Honestly, when I travel, the weather channel ap is one of the most used for me. I don't like surprises.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
My stepmother does disaster relief for the red cross in the lower peninsula. They live in central Michigan area. She was sent out last night to relocate families whose homes were damaged to the point they were not liveable. They were slammed today with relief efforts

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2