Self Protection

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
There are so many ways to defend yourself from an Intruder, a bar of soap in a sock, a sharp pointed screwdriver, a claw hammer, a spray can of hairspray and a lighter = BLOWTORCH.
If its THEM or ME...you better believe Im gonna use whatever is at hand to defend myself, tire billy, Strap bar, a spray bottle filled with red cider vinegar sprayed right into the eyes.....

Ive been blessed never had any issues, but Im a big guy, barrel chest and wide shoulders, not an easy mark, But a woman or if your a small person, a heavy wool sock with a rock or NUTS inside....in your pocket...I wouldnt think twice of shooting anyone who threatens me bodily harm, not one second, but without a gun, Ive had 8 years of Karate, and was a Wrestler so if you grab me, ya better be prepared cause i aint gonna play, Ill have you down on the ground in a choke hold faster then you can say Gimme.....

Im about to get my conceal carry here in IL but I wont take a gun in my truck, theres just too many different laws, cops with the wrong tude, etc...I dont want to go to jail because Barney thinks its illegal for me to carry....but here at Home, I will carry.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Small females ?
I have a buddy that married a 5' tall/100 lb self defense instructor he met in the Army.
He snuck up on her once. He was on the ground and uncomfortable before he realized she knew he was behind her.
He said never again.

I know this is an extreme example, but it'd be funny to see her in action.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It's not about theft. I am interested in self protection as a last resort!
someone breaks into my truck..I tell them to stop....I am not under direct threat....as I understand the law...one can not just shoot him/her down like a rapid dog....besides that is why we have theft insurance....:)

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The reason I suggested a gas charged pellet gun because I thought it would never kill anyone but put a real hurting on them and possibly legal everywhere.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
someone breaks into my truck..I tell them to stop....I am not under direct threat....as I understand the law...one can not just shoot him/her down like a rapid dog....besides that is why we have theft insurance....:)

Unless you're a Texas resident. If I understand that law.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

And how would you KNOW, for SURE, that you were in no direct threat? I must assume that you are willing to gamble that the nut case breaking in is ONLY a thief?

Why would you want to shoot a fast dog?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The reason I suggested a gas charged pellet gun because I thought it would never kill anyone but put a real hurting on them and possibly legal everywhere.

Even a lowly BB gun is capable of killing. I am not sure of the laws, but I think that a gas charged pellet gun would not be a good idea.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I guess I was just searching for some legal weapon as a means of last resort and wondering if a pellet gun was legal. I thought they would be about the same as a BB gun since some go both ways: BB/Pellet gun. I just don't want to get busted for an illegal weapon. I realize that a pellet gun can put out some damage but not like a 45.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just don't want to get busted for an illegal weapon.

Therein lies the rub. Some states have reasonable laws, such as Texas, PA, etc; others, such as Illinois and NY, are "democratic people's republics". NY and NJ are particularly fond of peeing on the rights of gunowners :mad:

Sent from my XT1028 using EO Forums mobile app

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
i am more worried about a breakdown on a lonely highway and having some thugs show up while im changing a flat or something; than someone braking in at a truckstop. I travel with a large dog, shes old but would definately bite a stranger. As an out and back driver i have more ability to carry a firearm as i know when i leave what states im going to. I agree about watching your surroundings.

Reactions: ucfd608 and mccll01

schwanman

Expert Expediter
i am more worried about a breakdown on a lonely highway and having some thugs show up while im changing a flat or something; than someone braking in at a truckstop. I travel with a large dog, shes old but would definately bite a stranger. As an out and back driver i have more ability to carry a firearm as i know when i leave what states im going to. I agree about watching your surroundings.
Some credit cards or your insurance will cover a breakdown on the road.
Sometimes it's best to call road service in certain areas.

Reactions: ucfd608

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
AAA Platinum RV coverage....break down trip interruption 2 days in motel and meals covered...tire changing service the whole nine yards...best investment out here..its pricey but need it once and it more then pays for itself...and tax deductable of course....

never in all my years have I come even close to needing any kind of protection...there is an old saying, thieves lock their doors

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ovm said :
never in all my years have I come even close to needing any kind of protection...

WOW .... as Rags would say ...

What about that Wild Night in Canada ....

hauling freight from a Pond near you

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Part of it is knowing where to go to rest, also. That's why I'm in Weatherford TX, instead of the J in Dallas. By myself, I wouldn't care; with the missus aboard, it's a whole new ball game.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
AAA Platinum RV coverage....break down trip interruption 2 days in motel and meals covered...tire changing service the whole nine yards...best investment out here..its pricey but need it once and it more then pays for itself...and tax deductable of course....

never in all my years have I come even close to needing any kind of protection...there is an old saying, thieves lock their doors

That ain't the way I hearedit, the way I hearedit, a lock only keeps an honest man out.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums