Self Protection

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Was wondering if anyone carries one of those gas charged pellet guns with clips? Are they legal everywhere? It seems to me it could be used as a weapon of last resort if someone is determined to enter your vehicle.:confused::):cool:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Pepper spray can not be carried into Canada. It is also illegal in some states. New York, Massachusetts, California, DC and a few others come to mind. Also some states have restrictions on concentrations allowed .

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Also, wasp spray is considered a pesticide, which means it is illegal for use other than labelled on the bottle, so technically it could be charged as a felony for use in self defense situations .

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wasp spray with 50ft range is safer and better than pepper spray and their will never hear you pres the button!
If by "their will never" I assume you mean "they will never," and by "they" I assume you mean wasps. If so, then yes, wasp spray is safer to use on wasps for self-defense than is pepper spray, and it's better to use wasp spray on wasps than it is to use pepper spray, and wasps will never hear you pressing the button on a can of wasps spray.

As for using wasp spray on people, that's just one of those things that seems logical because it sprays out in a stream like pepper spray and not like air freshener, so you can direct it like pepper spray, but that's where the similarities end. Wasp spray streams in a narrow stream that requires amazing accuracy to nail the eyes of an assailant immediately. Pepper spray has a very wide dispersal pattern, but still at a good distance (usually 10-20 feet) so that if sprayed anywhere in the general direction of the attacker it will be effective. Pepper spray also has a inflammatory that immediately forces the eyes closed whereas wasp spray does not. Pepper spray can "incapacitate an attacker for up to one hour, causes sever burning of the eyes with copious amounts of tears, coughing, and difficulty breathing. The eyes close involuntarily, the nose runs, and the skin stings."

Read the label on a can of wasp spray. It says wasp "spray causes minor eye irritation."

Read the label on a can of pepper spray. It says "pepper spray will **** you up."

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Face it. The only 50-state legal form of self-protection is the kind available for 75 cents in those machines at the Pilot :rolleyes:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I once had an irate trooper confiscate my tire billy and warn me of the consequences of having a weapon in my truck.
Yes, because my tire billy had the leather shoe lace lanyard she claimed it was a weapon.
My sweet, charming demeanor ( I was much younger) convinced her to let me stow it in a sidebox, where I wouldn't have easy access to it.
She relaxed and continued her inspection.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Wasp spray has range and power over pepper/mace/bear spray. me I'd worry after the fact if someone's breaking in my van on what's legal or not because it boils Down to me or them! And i pick me over them to still be breathing after the dust settles.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
I just wish we could have tazer guns. I like the distance part. Also fun to watch them used on the show Cops. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am 63 yrs old....born and raised in the streets of Toronto....Now living here...going into some of the crappiest areas like JFK and Philly....NEVER once been threatened nor mugged or anything close to that....I don't understand this protection thing.....besides I have a billy club type stick with me I've never had an occasion to go for.....any threat was in my imagination after reading EO..with all the paranoid gun happy nut club....LOL...IMO...just saying

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
...any threat was in my imagination after reading EO..with all the paranoid gun happy nut club....LOL...IMO...just saying

Guess its an American red blooded thing, but guns are sexy ! I don't understand how you can only want one gun. I need a collection.

1391876174997.jpg

sent from my Galaxy S3

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am 63 yrs old....born and raised in the streets of Toronto....Now living here...going into some of the crappiest areas like JFK and Philly....NEVER once been threatened nor mugged or anything close to that....I don't understand this protection thing.....besides I have a billy club type stick with me I've never had an occasion to go for.....any threat was in my imagination after reading EO..with all the paranoid gun happy nut club....LOL...IMO...just saying

Because most of us know of at least one trucker who has been mugged/robbed etc. Crime is a fact. Nothing can change that fact. Being aware of your surroundings it the most valuable weapon. Even that CANNOT insure, with 100% certainty, that ANY driver will remain 100% safe, 100% of the time.

There have been drivers killed and maimed out here. It is each drivers responsibility to do what they see fit to help to provide protection. The old "it's never happened to me" syndrome is kind of like burying you head in the sand with your butt up in the air. You can still get kicked in the butt tomorrow.

Being prepared is neither nutty or paranoid. NOT being prepared IS nutty! NOT recognizing the threat, while not paranoid, is foolish.

As to what methods one may chose as their last ditch effort of defense, that is a personal choice ONLY limited by government control.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
by the numbers I cans see how this is really working out....:rolleyes:

LOL!! MAYBE it SEEMS that way because you are NOT looking at the numbers! :cool: IF you can PROVE that there is NO chance of being robbed, mugged or murdered while out here then there would be NO need for this discussion. YOU cannot do that because it is NOT a fact.

The FACTS are that there IS crime out here and there IS a REAL threat. Ignoring that threat is foolish. Being paranoid about it is foolish. Being aware of it, being aware of ones surrounds and taking prudent steps in an attempt to minimize the threat, is facing the reality. It is wise.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

How many people can say that they have never been mugged, until they were?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app