See ya

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
After 10 years in the expediting biz I've called it quits. Was a great career before the crash of 2009 then went downhill fast. Thought I would be more distraught over the decision but the only thing I miss are the pre-2009 memories. I will not miss the:
waiting, living in parking lots, traffic around big cities, driving while dangerously sleep deprived, having to cook in my van because it's too inconvenient to wait at a healthy restaurant, driving in bad weather, sleeping in noisy parking lots, getting excited about a load then having it cancel, empty promises from my carrier, knowing I'm extremely expendable to my carrier, being at the mercy of the unpredictable and illogical price of gas, repeatedly exposing myself to the high probability of a traffic accident for very little in return, unfriendly border patrol agents, waiting hours to load because of this or that all for a canceled load, being alone and nomadic (was great the first 4 years then got old fast, humans are not designed to be alone), wondering if I'm in a bad neighborhood while parked overnight to sleep, being ready to go home for the weekend then getting a load going the opposite direction (almost never fails), getting no explanation as to why I was passed over on a certain load and that I need to "just trust the system", driving in the north east, virtually every aspect of driving in New York, paying a high monthly fee for a Qualcomm unit and being asked what my location is all the time, having to refuse trips to: Ohio because there's always too many trucks there, Indiana and Chicago because there is hardly any long runs from there and most runs are low paying, Detroit and Buffalo because most runs from there just go into Canada, down south because there is not much freight coming out of there, North East because there is no good place to layover, remote parts of anywhere because my carrier didn't want to pay for me to relocate, getting knocks on my door at 2:30 am from police wondering what I'm doing, getting to a pickup just to find the shipper clueless as to what I'm picking up, getting to the shipper just to find my freight was loaded on another truck and is gone, being woke up for really low paying offers, refusing a low paying offer and then being offered again for $10 more, and again and again...the false belief that my carrier has my best interest in mind, being woke up at 2am by the street cleaner at Walmart, calling Walmart my second home, trying to convince myself that my lifestyle IS better than most homeless people's, driving on Michigan's horrible roads, huge detours/traffic jams because of accidents/construction, trying to find safe places to jog or bike, thinking I have my "own" business just because I'm not legally employed by anyone, being snowed in at a parking lot in the middle of nowhere, having it rain and feeling like I live in a tin can, sleeping in my sleeping bag in fridged weather, not having immediate access to running water or a hot shower with out being at a truck stop or motel, constantly refueling my generator if I want heat in the winter or coolness in the summer, dealing with inconsiderate 18 wheelers, (for example when they go 80mph down a hill and 40mph up the next hill), day to day unpredictability of the industry, stiff backs, ..... just to name a couple things. However, I did enjoy things about the career such as_________. (fill in the blank)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You make it sound so attractive....LOL and I was having a great morning too...hahaha

Wish you all the best......Ken aka OVM

P.S. don't be a recruiter....LOL

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
After 10 years in the expediting biz I've called it quits. However, I did enjoy things about the career such as_________. (fill in the blank)

(fill in the Blank) Reading story's like this..
Actually I dont like reading storys like this..(My comment is bad humor) But it does keep me thinking that how fast things can change out here.
These are all things associated with the job and keeps it interesting..I realize I missed the hay day and am only starting my 6th year but I seemed to carve a living out of these bad times..Lucky, Propely..And I know it could turn sour tomorrow for me..
Man 10 years is alot to give up but I'm sure you know that.Hope you have something lined up to keep ya busy and occuiped..G/Luck

Last edited:

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Ken, I figured people could post their own views of what they enjoy about the industry since there are indeed positives at least there was for me. One of my absolute favorite things was to leave for a long trip at about 6pm after a good sleep in the summer. Then seeing the sunset and listening to music or Coast 2 Coast am with the windows down in the middle of the night with the warm air blowing in and the different scents of the summer night. Ahhhh, how I miss that!!!

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
(fill in the Blank) Reading story's like this..
Actually I dont like reading storys like this..(My comment is bad humor) But it does keep me thinking that how fast things can change out here.
These are all things associated with the job and keeps it interesting..I realize I missed the hay day and am only starting my 6th year but I seemed to carve a living out of these bad times..Lucky, Propely..And I know it could turn sour tomorrow for me..
Man 10 years is alot to give up but I'm sure you know that.Hope you have something lined up to keep ya busy and occuiped..G/Luck

Thanks, I appreciate your candidness. I do have something lined up...going back to school in the health care industry. When I first called it quits about two months ago I would go on Google maps and revisit the places that I often layed over at or frequequent customer locations. It was really hard for me stay with it in 2009 since my dog of 16 years passed away Dec of 2008. He'd always ride with me. The pain was almost unbearable for the first few months but then each day it lessened little by little. Now I just think of the good memories with him. It's almost as if when he left he took a large part of my joy of expediting with him. The business went downhill for me ever since.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Ken, I figured people could post their own views of what they enjoy about the industry since there are indeed positives at least there was for me. One of my absolute favorite things was to leave for a long trip at about 6pm after a good sleep in the summer. Then seeing the sunset and listening to music or Coast 2 Coast am with the windows down in the middle of the night with the warm air blowing in and the different scents of the summer night. Ahhhh, how I miss that!!!

12 going on 13 yrs CV(tuna can) to a sprinter, teamed with my wife and now solo...man and wife were not made to be together 24/7...and she'll even tell ya that, it ain't normal....LOL one reason they don't allow guns in trucks....hahaha

yes I too think about everything I've sacrificed to be successful in this lifestyle...but I also have to look at all that I've gained....and balance it out.

Monty

Expert Expediter
After 10 years in the expediting biz I've called it quits. Was a great career before the crash of 2009 then went downhill fast.

Thought I would be more distraught over the decision but the only thing I miss are the pre-2009 memories. I will not miss the:
waiting, living in parking lots, traffic around big cities, driving while dangerously sleep deprived, having to cook in my van because it's too inconvenient to wait at a healthy restaurant, driving in bad weather, sleeping in noisy parking lots, getting excited about a load then having it cancel, empty promises from my carrier, knowing I'm extremely expendable to my carrier, being at the mercy of the unpredictable and illogical price of gas, repeatedly exposing myself to the high probability of a traffic accident for very little in return, unfriendly border patrol agents, waiting hours to load because of this or that all for a canceled load, being alone and nomadic (was great the first 4 years then got old fast, humans are not designed to be alone), wondering if I'm in a bad neighborhood while parked overnight to sleep, being ready to go home for the weekend then getting a load going the opposite direction (almost never fails), getting no explanation as to why I was passed over on a certain load and that I need to "just trust the system", driving in the north east, virtually every aspect of driving in New York, paying a high monthly fee for a Qualcomm unit and being asked what my location is all the time, having to refuse trips to: Ohio because there's always too many trucks there, Indiana and Chicago because there is hardly any long runs from there and most runs are low paying, Detroit and Buffalo because most runs from there just go into Canada, down south because there is not much freight coming out of there, North East because there is no good place to layover, remote parts of anywhere because my carrier didn't want to pay for me to relocate, getting knocks on my door at 2:30 am from police wondering what I'm doing, getting to a pickup just to find the shipper clueless as to what I'm picking up, getting to the shipper just to find my freight was loaded on another truck and is gone, being woke up for really low paying offers, refusing a low paying offer and then being offered again for $10 more, and again and again...

the false belief that my carrier has my best interest in mind, being woke up at 2am by the street cleaner at Walmart, calling Walmart my second home, trying to convince myself that my lifestyle IS better than most homeless people's, driving on Michigan's horrible roads, huge detours/traffic jams because of accidents/construction, trying to find safe places to jog or bike,

thinking I have my "own" business just because I'm not legally employed by anyone, being snowed in at a parking lot in the middle of nowhere, having it rain and feeling like I live in a tin can, sleeping in my sleeping bag in fridged weather, not having immediate access to running water or a hot shower with out being at a truck stop or motel, constantly refueling my generator if I want heat in the winter or coolness in the summer,

dealing with inconsiderate 18 wheelers, (for example when they go 80mph down a hill and 40mph up the next hill), day to day unpredictability of the industry, stiff backs, ..... just to name a couple things. However, I did enjoy things about the career such as_________. (fill in the blank)

Thought I would break the "paragraph" up ..... since it is a page long!

All of those thing you listed ....... is business as usual, and this business is NOT for everyone .. that is something you have to find out for yourself.

Best of luck on your new endeavors.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You have a list of things you hate about the industry but you will find it hard to stay away. I lost my job as a TT driver after an accident in 2009 so I actually couldn't find a job driving due to the serious accident even though I was the only one involved. I took a job where I sat in a cubicle all day, a 3 mile drive to work, and I just worked my 8 hours and went home every night. Long story short, I couldn't handle it, as I have said before I felt like brushing my teeth with a loaded shotgun, I ended up very depressed. I have always been fat but during that time I put the fork to my head and pulled the trigger, I gained well over 100lbs in a year. When you are dealing with the angry guy at the dock or dealing with the Nazis as they go over your truck just to see if they can ruin your day it seems better to get out, but just step back and think is it really so bad you want a job punching a clock. You might find you just need a working vacation somewhere else to remember what you love about the industry. Best of luck to you and whatever you decide.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Maybe a carrier change would have helped?

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Glad you are over the bridge..cause it was definitely time for you to go as you described it..with your situation.but as Paul said, chances are good, you will be back in one way or another...The carrier makes a world of difference...Good Luck...

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ohio because there's always too many trucks there, Indiana and Chicago because there is hardly any long runs from there and most runs are low paying, Detroit and Buffalo because most runs from there just go into Canada, down south because there is not much freight coming out of there, North East because there is no good place to layover,

Driver2,

Cutting those out sure limited your income.. but as an ex-FedEx van driver, I know what you mean.. it can get rough. Thank God some of my best runs now come out those areas :)

Best of luck in whatever you decide.. as others have said tho.. as an experienced driver, I'd try another company.. I did .. and it worked :)

Dale

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When your mind begins focusing on the negatives in any endevour it is time for a job change or to refocus.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Xiggi said it best.No matter what you choose to do in life.There are pro's and Con's .When you only see the dark side of thing's, it is time to move on.Wish you the best of luck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Everyone's said it all already, except for one little thing: what would a "considerate" 18 wheel driver do, in your opinion? :confused:

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
Everyone's said it all already, except for one little thing: what would a "considerate" 18 wheel driver do, in your opinion? :confused:

A considerate driver would consider the safety of those vehicles that go a steadier speed and also his or her own safety ahead of his or her desire to save their brakes, save the few dollars in fuel that the downhill momentum might gain or save the very little time gained by either.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Um, I'm pretty sure that saving their brakes is a big part of considering their [and everyone else's] safety.
Really - they can't go up any faster, and the '80 downhill' is a bit of exaggeration, I think. It sounds like you've just totally burned out on living on the road, and I can understand that. In a cargo van, I nearly got there myself.
Hope you find something that recharges your joy in life.

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
Um, I'm pretty sure that saving their brakes is a big part of considering their [and everyone else's] safety.
Really - they can't go up any faster, and the '80 downhill' is a bit of exaggeration, I think. It sounds like you've just totally burned out on living on the road, and I can understand that. In a cargo van, I nearly got there myself.
Hope you find something that recharges your joy in life.

No exaggeration at all. Most drivers are safe, a few are not only unsafe they are obviously unintelligent. If a driver can't stay under the posted speed limit down a hill they need to change their equipment and/or freight in order to do so. If a driver can't go up a hill at the posted speed limit they shouldn't break the speed limit while going down to attempt to do so, tailgating other vehicles down the hill and cutting them off to get in the right lane just irritates other drivers and is virtually no benefit to anyone.