Second Annual PPP TV News Trust Poll

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Certainly not good news for Faux Schnooz (wonder what their "winning" formula is ? :rolleyes:)

PPP's annual look at the public's trust in various TV news outlets finds that Fox News' credibility is on the decline, that the traditional networks are seeing an up tick in their numbers, and that PBS is at the top of the heap.

Here's how they stack up from highest net trust to worst:

Outlet ...Trust/Distrust ... Net 2010 Numbers ... Shift from 2010
.PBS........50/30 +20...........Not Included...........Not Applicable
.NBC........41/41 0 ...............35/44 (-9)...................+9
.CNN........40/43 -3 ..............39/41 (-2)...................-1
Fox News....42/46 -4..............49/37 (+12)................-16
.CBS.........36/43 -7...............32/46 (-14).................+7
.ABC.........35/43 -8...............31/46 (-15).................+7

-A year ago a plurality of Americans said they trusted Fox News. Now a plurality of them don't. Conservatives haven't moved all that much- 75% said they trusted it last year and 72% still do this time around. But moderates and liberals have both had a strong increase in their level of distrust for the network- a 12 point gain from 48% to 60% for moderates and a 16 point gain from 66% to 82% for liberals. Voters between left and center tend to be more trusting of the media across the board, which is why a fair number of them were still rating Fox favorably even a year ago at this time. But it looks like with a lot of those folks it has finally crossed the line to being too political to trust.

-All three of the traditional major networks- NBC, CBS, and ABC- have seen an increase in their trust levels over the last year. NBC continues to be the most trusted of the trio, breaking even this year at 41% who trust it and 41% who don't. It may be MSNBC's liberal tilt that vaults its parent network to the top overall. Conservatives distrust all three of the networks at pretty similar levels- 66% for ABC and NBC, 67% for CBS. But liberals range from 52% who trust ABC to 61% who trust CBS all the way up to 67% who trust NBC. It's interesting to see that faith in these long standing organizations is on the rise but it may be that in a new media world where there's so much more information available than there's ever been before folks are looking to places with a proven track record of getting it right.

-Democrats trust everything but Fox. Republicans don't trust anything but Fox. And independents don't trust much of anything. For Democrats 73% trust PBS, 64% NBC, 61% CBS, 60% CNN, 56% ABC, and 22% Fox. For Republicans 67% trust Fox, 29% PBS, 22% CNN, 21% NBC, 17% ABC, and 15% CBS. For independents 44% trust PBS, 36% Fox, 34% CNN, 33% NBC, 27% CBS, and 26% ABC.

I'm sure there's a lot of other interesting stuff digging into these numbers that I haven't even touched on- full results here

Original article:

Our Second Annual TV News Trust Poll

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard a Fox News anchor identify PPP as being liberal. Curious if that has anything to do with the numbers. I think it has a lot to do with Fox News getting critsized and bashed mostly unfairly IMO,by most of the rest of the TV media. These organizations are mostly controlled by liberals. Yet with all that against them they still are first in Cable Network News ratings by a long shot.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I heard a Fox News anchor identify PPP as being liberal. Curious if that has anything to do with the numbers. I think it has a lot to do with Fox News getting critsized and bashed mostly unfairly IMO,by most of the rest of the TV media.

These organizations are mostly controlled by liberals.

What makes you say/think that? :confused:

Yet with all that against them they still are first in Cable Network News ratings by a long shot.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I went to the link posted. There is little there that tells anything about there political bend. Where can that be looked up? Don't know what to trust if you don't know what axe they are grinding.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I heard a Fox News anchor identify PPP as being liberal.
Well, that wouldn't be at all self-serving ..... :rolleyes:

Learn to be skeptical of (but not totally cynical of) what any of them say (on any channel)

Then look up what the Wall Street Journal has to say about PPP ... worth considering since they don't have a dog in the fight .... still take it with a grain of salt .... ;)

Curious if that has anything to do with the numbers. I think it has a lot to do with Fox News getting critsized and bashed mostly unfairly IMO, by most of the rest of the TV media.
I think it has a lot to do with not being an "honest broker" ... and the mixing of hard news with editorial commentary (aka "telling me what to think" ....)

These organizations are mostly controlled by liberals. Yet with all that against them they still are first in Cable Network News ratings by a long shot.
It ain't a liberal/conservative thing - it's a truth and honesty thing.

Let go of the "two diametrically-opposed ideologies" paradigm .... and free your mind ..... :D

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I also don't see the questions used for the poll. Pollsters often phrase questions in such a way to get a particular result by wording questions to receive that answers they are looking for. I don't trust any poll, other than an election, and these days even that poll is getting harder to trust.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Doh - I just noticed something - look at the poll PR date - it's from last January :eek:

Sorry - from the way it was cited in what I read, it appeared to be a current article.

I guess the upside of that is, after this current coverage of the IA/NH primaries, both CNN and Fauz schNewz can both look to have their numbers go further into the toilet.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Doh - I just noticed something - look at the poll PR date - it's from last January :eek:

Sorry - from the way it was cited in what I read, it appeared to be a current article.

I guess the upside of that is, after this current coverage of the IA/NH primaries, both CNN and Fauz schNewz can both look to have their numbers go further into the toilet.

No problem. I don't trust ANY news outlet so this poll would never change my mind if it were current.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks, interesting write up. I still would love to see how they worded the questions for this particular poll. It is always fun to see what results a poll is after be reading how the questions are written.

Yes how poll questions are worded and asked is important.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, that wouldn't be at all self-serving ..... :rolleyes:

Learn to be skeptical of (but not totally cynical of) what any of them say (on any channel)

Then look up what the Wall Street Journal has to say about PPP ... worth considering since they don't have a dog in the fight .... still take it with a grain of salt .... ;)

I think it has a lot to do with not being an "honest broker" ... and the mixing of hard news with editorial commentary (aka "telling me what to think" ....)

It ain't a liberal/conservative thing - it's a truth and honesty thing.

Let go of the "two diametrically-opposed ideologies" paradigm .... and free your mind ..... :D

It might have been self serving of the anchor to say that,but it also is accurate. I'm going by memory,but she probably said "democratic " instead of "liberal PPP". but same difference.
I hadn't heard their affiliation on any other news network when they refer to them.

Well you might have a problem with Fox News,but one thing they do that the other News Networks don't and that is to give the opposing view on EVERY show they have. IMO I think Fox gets bashed by them because they just can't stand the fact that a conservative leaning Network is killing them in the ratings.:D

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard a Fox News anchor identify PPP as being liberal. Curious if that has anything to do with the numbers. I think it has a lot to do with Fox News getting critsized and bashed mostly unfairly IMO,by most of the rest of the TV media.

These organizations are mostly controlled by liberals.

What makes you say/think that? :confused:

Yet with all that against them they still are first in Cable Network News ratings by a long shot.

There has been studies that the news rooms are overwhelmingly democratic/liberal. That includes editors and upper management. I won't bore you with the actual studies but they are out there. :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It might have been self serving of the anchor to say that,but it also is accurate.

If it's accurate, the folks over at the Wall Street Journal probably don't know it, or they wouldn't have endorsed the PPP, I bet.:rolleyes:

I'm going by memory,but she probably said "democratic " instead of "liberal PPP". but same difference.

So Democratic equals liberal? No wonder we have so much trouble communicating! They are NOT the same, and the difference does matter.

I hadn't heard their affiliation on any other news network when they refer to them.

Well you might have a problem with Fox News,but one thing they do that the other News Networks don't and that is to give the opposing view on EVERY show they have. IMO I think Fox gets bashed by them because they just can't stand the fact that a conservative leaning Network is killing them in the ratings.:D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"So Democratic equals liberal? No wonder we have so much trouble communicating! They are NOT the same, and the difference does matter."

What are they? :confused: Communist? Fascist? Neo-Liberal? Progressive? Just plain rotten? All of the above?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"So Democratic equals liberal? No wonder we have so much trouble communicating! They are NOT the same, and the difference does matter."

What are they? :confused: Communist? Fascist? Neo-Liberal? Progressive? Just plain rotten? All of the above?

None of the above. Labeling everyone [and the assumptions that go with it] isn't helping anyone communicate, and if we can't do that, how do we solve problems?
We don't. We get gridlock, while problems just keep getting worse, and we really really REALLY can't afford any more of that.:(