Satellite radio weather channel

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just happened to be on channel 1 on XM and they now have the Weather Channel. It's not the "old" weather channel that they use to have,but simulcast of the tv weather channel. It's on Sirius #184 also. Good news for those who like to use this as source to keep up on the bad weather while driving.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
yes glad to hear this,hated it when they took it off. now can get better updates without waitting for so long.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
you mean we can get the whole country not just 10 cities ?
now we need a highway road report channel

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So I have to sit through an hour of listening to some wilderness photographer show where I can't see what's going on and no one describing the pictures waiting for them to flash local weather across the bottom of the screen which I can't see on radio anyway?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well my wife will go to the weather channel and there is always something on it that is very visual, like some aussie photographer show where he is running about taking pictures of bear poop or something like that. I see the streamer on the bottom of the screen saying it will be 77 today with a chance of rain but nothing verbal. So how can you see that on radio?

I guess I equate it to Fox News on XM, they will be talking about some stat on the screen, you know it is there, they are discussing it but they won't say what it is and you hear the "whoosh" as it is moved or changed and they go on to discuss more stuff with numbers you can't see. CNN, MSNBC and Fox all do the same thing with guest on their shows, they don't really introduce a lot of them but have a visual up saying who they are, sometimes rotating it with some important info that does matter but when the segment winds down, they don't say "thanks for coming here, senator X". I think Glenn Beck was one show you could not listen to but had to see the chalk board - I knew he was writing something on it but the board didn't speak.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So I have to sit through an hour of listening to some wilderness photographer show where I can't see what's going on and no one describing the pictures waiting for them to flash local weather across the bottom of the screen which I can't see on radio anyway?

Yes that can be no fun.:D There still is the local forecasts for some of the major cities on the other channels. The weather channel will usually preempt or cut in to those wilderness shows when their is severe/extreme weather.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Huh, We'll I'll be. I had sent a letter to siriusxm a few days ago requesting they put the weather channel back and saying the weather they do have on the traffic and weather channels doesn't do any good unless your in the major cities and that a majority of their listeners are drivers and the weather channel is a good tool we can use.

this was the response letter;

Dear Mr. ******

Thank you for being a loyal SiriusXM customer and taking the time to contact Listener Care regarding Weather Channel.

We are forwarding the information you supplied to the appropriate department. Rest assured that we are working on this issue to the best of our abilities to provide you better service. We understand your frustration and would greatly appreciate your patience.

Your feedback regarding our programming is extremely important to us. We are dedicated to providing the most variety and best listening experience available anywhere.

Please visit our website at Channel Lineup - SiriusXM Radio for our current lineup, schedules and programming highlights.

We hope you are enjoying SIRIUSXM 100% commercial-free music and entertainment programming. We are committed to providing you with the best in listener care. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this email. And you can always manage your account online 24/7 going to Welcome to the world of satellite radio - SiriusXM Radio

Thank you,

Roberto
SiriusXM Email Listener Care Team
1-866-635-2349

I don't know if my letter had anything to do with it but I am glad it's back in some form or another. I haven't listened to it yet being out of service at the present time but I do look forward to having it again when I get back out.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had one of those NOAA cb-tossed it out the window-the alert tones were constant-even when the cb was off-went back to my ranger

bobwg

Expert Expediter
some people are never happy lol:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually very happy.

I drive for the greatest carrier in the world, have the greatest cat sitting here reading what I write and just finished the greatest breakfast anyone could ever have made by the greatest chef while it is a good sunny day which will make me sit inside and hope for clouds.

Just pointing out the frustration that is involved with guessing what goes on, on the radio.

When Chase and Sanborn Hour was on the air in the 30's (ohhhh those great tube radios) and they have Edgar Bergen and his 'dummies'. You could not see Bergen move his lips but he did and when he hit the movie screen, something ended up ruining the illusion.

It is just the opposite, we can't imagine what is going on because we lack verbal cues.

Oh did mention I have the greatest CB and subscribe to the greatest satellite radio system?

Yep ... very happy!!

happy happy happy!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That's great news, muttly. Thank you for sharing it. Diane and I missed the old weather channel. I'm glad to see Sirius/XM bringing the weather channel back in some form at least.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I had one of those NOAA cb-tossed it out the window
Seems a little extreme. Could have sold it on eBay instead.

-the alert tones were constant-even when the cb was off-went back to my ranger
The weather radio portion has its own tuner, including an OFF selection. Turn the weather tuner OFF, and you get no alert tones. Leave the weather tuner ON but turn the CB OFF, the alerts will still come through.

It's a feature. :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't believe this is an ongoing thing. I heard it was just for the duration of this storm and other storms that may form.