Sad day for Panther

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has anybody heard if this was someone everyone here knew or not? (an EO Member?)

Talked to A Panther driver today said the drivers name was JP and they are still investigating wether it was health related. He said JP was a rather large person and could have had A heart attack. The truck belonged to A fleet owner.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talked to A Panther driver today said the drivers name was JP and they are still investigating wether it was health related. He said JP was a rather large person and could have had A heart attack. The truck belonged to A fleet owner.
Also it was A brand new KW that the fleet owner bought just for him he also trained some drivers for that fleet owner.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Can we get an update on this?

I posted it in hopes of getting some information that might be helpful, but I guess not...
I sort of understand why carriers prefer to keep silent when it happens, [legal liability?] but I still think there could be a lesson for us in knowing what happened and how.
Or maybe just a reminder, which wouldn't hurt either.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I posted it in hopes of getting some information that might be helpful, but I guess not...
I sort of understand why carriers prefer to keep silent when it happens, [legal liability?] but I still think there could be a lesson for us in knowing what happened and how.
Or maybe just a reminder, which wouldn't hurt either.

You posted it, to try and make Panther look bad..:thumbdown:

Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

That's not only incorrect, but uncalled for and out of line. There is no basis for such a conclusion or accusation. When fellow expediters are involved in accidents, those accidents are sometimes reported here, not to make a carrier or a driver look bad, but to let the expediting community know about one of our own, to bring the expediting community together to see if there is anything we can do to help in any way, and to serve as a warning to let fellow expediters stop and reflect on ways to be more vigilant about their own safety. How would posting such a story, in any way, make Panther look bad? Such a mean and thoughtless accusation attacking the sympathy and empathy of a fellow expediter, and all of those who expressed those sentiments in this thread. Shame on you.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
That's not only incorrect, but uncalled for and out of line. There is no basis for such a conclusion or accusation. When fellow expediters are involved in accidents, those accidents are sometimes reported here, not to make a carrier or a driver look bad, but to let the expediting community know about one of our own, to bring the expediting community together to see if there is anything we can do to help in any way, and to serve as a warning to let fellow expediters stop and reflect on ways to be more vigilant about their own safety. How would posting such a story, in any way, make Panther look bad? Such a mean and thoughtless accusation attacking the sympathy and empathy of a fellow expediter, and all of those who expressed those sentiments in this thread. Shame on you.

It seemed like a cheap shot to me.. It was a tragic accident...maybe you guys can start a charity or fundraiser in the drivers name, intead of bashing Panther for not releasing any information. Drive Safe

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I disagree completely. I think the intent was good, and I don't think anyone bashed Panther. I don't see any reason why anyone would. Details on accidents are generally kept somewhat private due to the world of litigation that we ALL live in.

Also they may still not know what happened for sure. Many times the actual cause may not be able to be determined.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter

I saw nothing in Cheri's post that would reflect negatively on Panther. Yes, this accident involved a Panther truck but so what? Trucks from all carriers are involved in accidents. When a serious accident or fatality is reported here, it is a service to Open Forum readers who will be naturally interested in hearing the news and learning more.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It seemed like a cheap shot to me.. It was a tragic accident...maybe you guys can start a charity or fundraiser in the drivers name, intead of bashing Panther for not releasing any information. Drive Safe

"Bashing Panther"? Where did you see that? Panther isn't responsible for the accident - though they can expect to be named in any legal action arising from it, which is why they say nothing, and that's a wise choice
. When I wondered why carriers don't use such accidents as part of their safety & training efforts, I was thinking of incidents that had already been litigated & settled [for wouldn't legal decisions be an important part of the lesson?], not recent ones. I'm sure that every carrier has a few such incidents that could be a powerful aid to safety, but none take advantage of it [to my knowledge] and that puzzles me.
As for this tragic accident, how can we do anything for the driver's family if no one knows who he/she was?
:confused:

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Like the others I saw nothing wrong with Cheri's post. It was made public by the news stations and she just posted it here. 2 months ago you were bashing panther, why the change of heart?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/baycity/obituary.aspx?n=james-priest&pid=160583674

Thanks, Dave. The obituary mentions a fiancee and two kids, but nothing about a survivors fund, so perhaps they're doing ok without additional help.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not really sure on any of that. Haven't heard anything. Sad situation all around.

Kyle06

Seasoned Expediter
Just found out the drivers name, very sad, used to talk to him on the phone all the time, I was wondering why he hasn't answered the phone lately, you will be missed buddy

Last edited: