Running up to Lodi Metals . . .

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
why do CVers worry so much about securing the first skid behind the driver....you know the one up tight behind the seat with no where to go?...in all my years I've never locked down the lead skid especially when there is one directly behind it....locking it in place....even now....no chance of forward movement, no motion nada... I do however secure the last skid so the forward pressure isn't increased...

If you coulda seen the bulkhead in my first van you would know why....

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Put the 8 footers on the walls.

The van is getting heavier and heavier, gear and belongings-wise, and I haven't yet really needed sidewall e-track, but may put them in; not sure yet. I wonder what two 8' pieces weigh. They're pretty stout. I'll ask when at Lodi.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't understand the lead skid is locked in tighter then using a load bar and it's locked in from the rear There is absolutely no forward momentum... And the rear skid is tied down. In my rookie year I did experience a flying box.... Only once though....

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stop thinking only forward and aft. For that matter stop thing 4 wheels always sitting on the ground.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You worry about that Iam fine my way....ok?

Your the one that posed the question why others worry about the first skid. We explain why and you get defensive again, it isn't an attack.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this safety message brought to you by two guys who carry exposed gasoline on the outside of their vehicles aware of rear or front impacts.... Kabang

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your the one that posed the question why others worry about the first skid. We explain why and you get defensive again, it isn't an attack.

All I wanted was an answer And got way more than that As a matter of fact it was you that inferred that I did receive a whack in the head

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And this safety message brought to you by two guys who carry exposed gasoline on the outside of their vehicles aware of rear or front impacts.... Kabang

Now your in attack mode jeez ken lighten up. You asked the question to begin with.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Guys.....it all comes down to what your comfortable with and how the company wants it secured. ....we all do it alittle differantly. .......I ve seen many just close the door and leave. ....I may shake my head. ...but its their choice .......

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
JP, if it isn't too late you may want to get a piece of vertical e-track for across the rear instead of going sideways with the horizontal E-track. I works much better without twisting the straps and gives a nice range of attaching points.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot I'm trying to picture that. Where are you mounting the vertical pieces?

Oh never mind I get it now I misread.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's called vertical E-track because the slots are punched lengthwise and it is made for wall applications. I have a piece running the width of my van, on the floor, just inside the doors.

Attachments

• Vertical E-track.jpg
    Vertical E-track.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 46

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
JP, if it isn't too late you may want to get a piece of vertical e-track for across the rear instead of going sideways with the horizontal E-track. I works much better without twisting the straps and gives a nice range of attaching points.

Yep, most definitely. It's part of what I plan on getting at Lodi; two 2' sections of vertical slotted track to replace what I have across the back end now, and maybe to head the other end too, though I rarely use the cross pieces at the head. I got what I use now because the vertical slotted wasn't available when I ordered online when first setting up the van, but I wanted to protect the azz-end from over-zealous forklift drivers. I think I first saw that idea in one of your pics.

Going up tomorrow morning now; had too much going on here at the house to get up to Lodi this afternoon. They're open 'til 17:00 but the guys out back are only there 'til 16-16:30. I've never been there, actually, so don't know if they have a walk-thru store or just an order counter. I'm going either way to pick up what I want, instead of paying big-truck shipping for 10' track, but will enjoy walking around if they have all their items on display.

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Guys.....it all comes down to what your comfortable with and how the company wants it secured. ....we all do it alittle differantly. .......I ve seen many just close the door and leave. ....I may shake my head. ...but its their choice .......

Oh man, I did a cross-dock once in Detroit with a guy coming over from Canada in a Sprinter, who had a single heavy skid of stuff, completely unsecured. I might leave a dock with the load unsecured so they can close the roll-up or to make way for other vans waiting, but never go more than a couple hundred yards without securing the cargo.

Like I wrote, just that much less to have to think about when rolling down the road. Personally, I am more comfortable knowing the load is strapped down if I have to stop hard or swerve suddenly.

I always snap a pic or two of the load, too, soon as it's secured, just for the record and to use as proof, if ever needed, that it was properly secured. Interesting, actually, to look back at the range of stuff I've hauled and how I've secured it, as well as the changes of the interior in the background as I've modified it over time.

Never expected this thread to generate so much discussion of methods of securing cargo, but because it has, and that it may be of use to new expediters, here's a few more recent loads and just one way of doing things. Some of it is done just for effect for shipper or receiver, but for the most part is just my style of securement. You wouldn't believe how many times I hear how professional it all looks, or get asked who I run for, or how much it's appreciated that I take the time to secure and take care of their goods.

0-frontboardstrapped_1688.jpg
Front end with wood beam sockets, 2x8 to fit, and straps brought up outside of 2x8, stopping any forward motion of skid.

0-frontboard-gearrods_3543.jpg 0-rearview-gearrods.jpg
Front and back views of a low load with typical cross-strap arrangement. Same set-up with front board as above, but more to keep gear rods from sliding forward off skid. A regular 2x4 would not have been tall enough.

0-frontNbackboards_2731.jpg
Front and back boards in beam sockets. Because the skid was a lot narrower than my e-track, having both boards in place felt like it made the straps more effective and that the skid had less chance to move.

0-crossstrappedbox_2085.jpg
This was me just being a wise-azz. I could just as easily have kept it to the left side behind the small bulkhead on the left and blocked in place by the boards, no straps, or even put the package up front. I think it weighed all of ten pounds, but I still didn't want it just loose.

0-bucket-crosstrapped_8157.jpg
I definitely wanted this heavy bucket of ink strapped. In a more normal work van with a lot of tools and gear and stuff, it would be easier to just block it in and keep it from moving around. But in a big empty cargo space, and on that smooth floor, that sucker would slide and roll like crazy, and easily go airborne in an accident. So I strapped it.

0-autohalfbin_4715.jpg
Typical half-height auto bin, cross-strapped like almost all my loads.

0-fullheight_9266.jpg
Full height 1pc cargo.

0-autobins-wlidremoved-rear_7871.jpg 0-autobins-wlid-rear_7803.jpg 0-autobins-wlid-fromside_1670.jpg

Depending on your overall door height, if using a CV, you may have to remove the plastic lids often used for auto bin loads, or even peel back shrink-wrap and take a top layer off, then replace once the skid is inside. Left pic is with lid removed so the cargo will slide in. 2nd pic is cargo in place, lid slid back on, and strapped in place. Third pic is another load of bin, not shrink-wrapped, pushed all the way forward to allow another skid behind it, shot from the side doors.

Some full height loads, and most tall auto bins may require you to also remove the metal bail, or keeper at the top of a CV door frame, which will usually gain you enough extra space to slide a tall load in. Easy to do with a 10mm socket and ratchet. A lot of drivers keep one handy, as it has many uses in a CV, including removing lens for tail-lights, etc.

0-vancamping_1352.jpg
This last pic shows my old set-up for vancamping, with modular slide in units to contain all my gear and provide two cot-sized sleeping spaces or one large sleeping space. I'm designing new modular units that will slide in over my side wheel well storage while still allowing access to what's in that storage. Pic taken at Chisos Mtn CG in Big Bend Park on the border.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was loading with a multi carrier guy one night and 1/4 of the 3rd skid was out the door! He strapped it in and bungees the doors together , shipper just laughed and shook his head

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I was loading with a multi carrier guy one night and 1/4 of the 3rd skid was out the door! He strapped it in and bungees the doors together , shipper just laughed and shook his head

I was dispatched last winter to pick up a light load of several boxes, and when I got there and they finally found the cargo and brought it out to me in the yard (was the craziest, most dysfunctional shipping yard I've ever seen, with random vehicles scattered all over with doors open waiting for loads to be brought out)...when they finally brought it out, I found that three of the slender boxes were so long that even if I put one end up on my dash they would still stick out the back several feet. They'd called for a cargo van, too.

The forklift driver just said "Can't ya just keep your back doors propped open?"

I told him "Yeah, if I was going around the corner, not several hundred miles on the Interstate in the middle of winter!"

Several hours wasted getting there and waiting for the load, then waiting for dispatch fussing with the customer, both of whom kept asking "Well, did ya measure to be sure?" Ha! I finally took a pic and sent it, and they were all "Oh, that's too long for a cargo van." No sheet Sherlock. I got dry run pay and went and had a nice Italian dinner.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 7122
I definitely wanted this heavy bucket of ink strapped. In a more normal work van with a lot of tools and gear and stuff, it would be easier to just block it in and keep it from moving around. But in a big empty cargo space, and on that smooth floor, that sucker would slide and roll like crazy, and easily go airborne in an accident. So I strapped it.
Since you have extra E-track mount a length to your 2x8. It works great for pails and other small freight.

Attachments

• E-track board (2).jpg
    E-track board (2).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 37

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Since you have extra E-track mount a length to your 2x8. It works great for pails and other small freight.

Good idea, Mr Moot. I remember seeing it done before but hadn't even thought about doing it this week with my other mods. I may also, then, drill holes in my 2x8 so I can run a keeper through the corresponding holes in the beam sockets.

beamsocket_full.jpg