Running up to Lodi Metals . . .

guido4475

Not a Member
And this safety message brought to you by two guys who carry exposed gasoline on the outside of their vehicles aware of rear or front impacts.... Kabang

And what, two 20# propane tanks inside youre sprinter isn't any safer????...Especially the way you used to carry them? And the way you used to smoke? Now who can go Kaboom?

guido4475

Not a Member
I was dispatched last winter to pick up a light load of several boxes, and when I got there and they finally found the cargo and brought it out to me in the yard (was the craziest, most dysfunctional shipping yard I've ever seen, with random vehicles scattered all over with doors open waiting for loads to be brought out)...when they finally brought it out, I found that three of the slender boxes were so long that even if I put one end up on my dash they would still stick out the back several feet. They'd called for a cargo van, too.

The forklift driver just said "Can't ya just keep your back doors propped open?"

I told him "Yeah, if I was going around the corner, not several hundred miles on the Interstate in the middle of winter!"

Several hours wasted getting there and waiting for the load, then waiting for dispatch fussing with the customer, both of whom kept asking "Well, did ya measure to be sure?" Ha! I finally took a pic and sent it, and they were all "Oh, that's too long for a cargo van." No sheet Sherlock. I got dry run pay and went and had a nice Italian dinner.

A yellow Penske cube would of taken it, for sure...lol..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And what, two 20# propane tanks inside youre sprinter isn't any safer????...Especially the way you used to carry them? And the way you used to smoke? Now who can go Kaboom?

Irrelevant .... Since none of that exists now... So keep on with the dance. :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't understand your well bad mood... Still pizzed cause I made funny with the dash cam?
There are tons of guys running around with gas cans on the outside of vans....same as lots with propane tanks too... That is all I was saying...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think John needs to hand out Load 1 poking sticks with instructions and rules of use at Driver orientation. .......:D

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And of course Bolt could hand out Crying towels to some drivers. ..........:D

guido4475

Not a Member
I can't understand your well bad mood... Still pizzed cause I made funny with the dash cam?
There are tons of guys running around with gas cans on the outside of vans....same as lots with propane tanks too... That is all I was saying...

Just giving back to you what you give to me and others, that's all.......

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can see a trip to the Principals office ( John ) in the near future. .....turn in your poking stick. ........:D

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
aren't you on your way home?.....gee whiz...:p

Yep. .174 to go. . ...stop overnight they had one going to allmost my front door. ..but no go. ...so finish trip now ......and yes I had to stock up on Boom Boom supplies. ....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey seemed like the right thing to say. Lol

hey as you noticed...I can take the hit....Guido has thrown nearly everything but the kitchen sink to try and insult me ...he has insulted me, my truck and my habits.....just because I made fun of him buying a dash cam....I didn't know he was the perfect expediter..who knew?....LOL...

Hows that big rig driving coming along? Jake.... found a good carrier yet?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmmmm ... bored in Whiteland. ....time to sharpen stick .....lol. .......you need to find a campground and Plug in........:D

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
why do CVers worry so much about securing the first skid behind the driver....you know the one up tight behind the seat with no where to go?...in all my years I've never locked down the lead skid especially when there is one directly behind it....locking it in place....even now....no chance of forward movement, no motion nada... I do however secure the last skid so the forward pressure isn't increased...

The first skid if not secured will take the driver and the seat out depending on the weight, speed, and type of impact. If that van rolls, you now have nothing stopping it except your head.
Simple physics will tell you that the bolts holding the seat to the floor that you are using for a securement tool, aren't designed to take on the weight of a additional 500-1000 lb pallet.
Bolts will sheer right off.
I would secure ALL freight.

rack killer.jpg

Last edited:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The first skid if not secured will take the driver and the seat out depending on the weight, speed, and type of impact. If that van rolls, you now have nothing stopping it except your head.
Simple physics will tell you that the bolts holding the seat to the floor that you are using for a securement tool, aren't designed to take on the weight of a additional 500-1000 lb pallet.
Bolts will sheer right off.
I would secure ALL freight.

View attachment 7134

I couldn't agree more, Dave. Would love to see that image bigger, along with whatever others like that exist from crash testing.

Thank you for bringing this back on topic.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I couldn't agree more, Dave. Would love to see that image bigger, along with whatever others like that exist from crash testing.

Thank you for bringing this back on topic.
that test is a CV and the 2nd skid is NOT secured adding to the pressure

Last edited: