Running up to Lodi Metals . . .

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Headed up to Lodi Metals in Bellville OH later today for some gear, if anyone wants me to check on anything in person.

Always wanted to just check the place out, see what they have that's not on the website, pick up some e-track, and order two short ends for my ratchets as, I think, LDB has suggested in the past. They'll be much easier to use than the longer leads I have at present, especially when strapping in the higher skids in my CV.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
why do CVers worry so much about securing the first skid behind the driver....you know the one up tight behind the seat with no where to go?...in all my years I've never locked down the lead skid especially when there is one directly behind it....locking it in place....even now....no chance of forward movement, no motion nada... I do however secure the last skid so the forward pressure isn't increased...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
why do CVers worry so much about securing the first skid behind the driver....you know the one up tight behind the seat with no where to go?...in all my years I've never locked down the lead skid especially when there is one directly behind it....locking it in place....even now....no chance of forward movement, no motion nada... I do however secure the last skid so the forward pressure isn't increased...

Because its a smart thing to do.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because in a sudden stop (hitting something) that first skid will move and if its heavy might just kill ya!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You like excitement while driving .....eh.....not me....other van or now cube. .front skid, load bar in front & all skids strapped down. ...I want NO movement at all. ....never know when you have to suddenly stop, swerve to miss road debris or avoid an accident. ....I want NO shifting of weight or freight. ...just defensive driving to me.....

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I never wanted to be pushed through the windshield. In a crash the weight increases exponentially. That front skid may seem like it's never going to move and in normal driving likely won't but in a crash who knows.

Once you see how heavy and high quality the straps are at L.M. you'll shake your head over how crummy the rest are.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Not sure what about my post prompted your train of thought about first skids. You have an unusual mind, but I'm finally starting to get used to it, after a year and a month of being here on EO. :rolleyes: I say that in all friendliness.

Can't speak for others, but I rarely have a skid all the way up tight behind the seat. I usually have a bit of space, even with two skids. I have 109" of open cargo space before a third-width bulkhead on the driver's side, in front of which is storage and enough room to recline my seat fully. That's changing in the next few days though, to allow a longer cargo area.

Though with what I have now, or what I will have soon, I always secure whatever I'm carrying for cargo, no matter how close to anything it might be. Usually a couple straps, crossed in an X over the load front to back, starting in front of a 2x8 in wood-beam sockets so the 2x8 is strapped to the skid, in effect. Learned some of that right here on EO.

First guy I ever ran for said "Only two things I want you to remember, and you'll work out fine here: 1. Don't back out on a run you've already accepted, and 2. Always secure your cargo."

Just a good habit to have, far as I'm concerned. I rarely ever have loads which are so cubed and solid and one piece that I wouldn't worry about it not being strapped, or about it moving in a sudden stop or hard turn. A lot of loose items in bins with no tops, shrink-wrapped boxes and parts, odd-sized items on skids, etc. The more secure it is, whether up against a bulkhead or seat back or not, the less I have to think about it when rolling and the less likely it will cause harm to me, or damage to itself, even in a moderate accident. If it were tight up against a solid wall, like in a trailer or box truck, and the load was full width, that's a lot different.

Bad accidents of extreme impact speed are something else, too. Even then, though, at least as far as I'm concerned, having a load secured is better than not having it strapped down at all.

In other words, what Xiggi said ;)

And, because I don't have a passenger seat, when hauling someone around like my aging mother, I strap her down to the floor in back so she doesn't tip over and roll around. She doesn't like it much, but I tell her it's for her own safety.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never wanted to be pushed through the windshield. In a crash the weight increases exponentially. That front skid may seem like it's never going to move and in normal driving likely won't but in a crash who knows.

Once you see how heavy and high quality the straps are at L.M. you'll shake your head over how crummy the rest are.

Better tell tractor-trailers that they don't lock down Every skid

21cExp

Veteran Expediter

It was you, then, that posted one time about having custom short ends made for your ratchet straps? What length have you found most useful? I'm thinking about 8-10". Might even treat myself and have them say "21c Express."

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It has no where to go.,,, never had any excitement with the lead skid

I'm starting to believe you have already been whacked in the back of the head by more than one pallet full of freight. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was you, then, that posted one time about having custom short ends made for your ratchet straps? What length have you found most useful? I'm thinking about 8-10". Might even treat myself and have them say "21c Express."
It was Leo that had some custom made. I don't recall the length on the ratchet end. Mine are 45" long and would work better at 20" or less.

If you are putting E-track on the floor, go with the galvanized. Also, if you wouldn't mind checking on adjustable load beams with E-track ends in the 70" to 80" range for availability, price and weight. Thanks!

guido4475

Not a Member
Because its a smart thing to do.

Bingo. I use two straps in a criss-cross design at the front of the front skid to prevent and reduce any pressure on the back of the front seat. One can never be too careful in freight securement. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

guido4475

Not a Member
You like excitement while driving .....eh.....not me....other van or now cube. .front skid, load bar in front & all skids strapped down. ...I want NO movement at all. ....never know when you have to suddenly stop, swerve to miss road debris or avoid an accident. ....I want NO shifting of weight or freight. ...just defensive driving to me.....

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

So true. Absolutely correct.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
It was Leo that had some custom made. I don't recall the length on the ratchet end. Mine are 45" long and would work better at 20" or less.

If you are putting E-track on the floor, go with the galvanized. Also, if you wouldn't mind checking on adjustable load beams with E-track ends in the 70" to 80" range for availability, price and weight. Thanks!

Yeah, you bet, man. I'll check for you and wondered myself if shorter beams were available for CV use.

I already have galvanized e-track in the floor, but am going longer. Have 8' now, with sideways track at each end:

etrack_9189.jpg, and instead of adding two 2' pieces to make 10', am replacing them altogether with new 10' lengths. So...I'll have a couple used 8' lengths in good condition for sale or swap, and think I actually still have two unused 8' lengths at the shop that I was going to put on the walls but never did. Anyone wants them, used/new or both, let me know via PM. My shop is not too far off I-75 in SW Ohio.

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm starting to believe you have already been whacked in the back of the head by more than one pallet full of freight. :D

What gave you that idea??? Lol...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll have a couple used 8' lengths in good condition for sale or swap, and think I actually still have two unused 8' lengths at the shop that I was going to put on the walls but never did. Anyone wants them, used/new or both, let me know via PM. My shop is not too far off I-75 in SW Ohio.
Put the 8 footers on the walls.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
8 inches works good. It allows the ratchet to clear the pallet.

eb

Yeah, exactly, thanks, that's what I was thinking, at least 8-10", though up to around 20" like Moot says would work well, too. I've grown tired of squeezing into the often limited space above a skid in my GMC CV to release ratchets, so I'm treating myself. Less bumps on the noggin.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know or care what t/t or others do. I just know I never wanted freight sliding forward and squishing me. In the truck I always put a load bar across at the floor for the skid to stop against and another across at waist level for the freight to stop against. They might be 4 feet inside the doors if it was only 1 or 2 skids. Didn't matter where, it was blocked in. In the van I put the brackets meant for 2x4's in the floor etrack and then put a 2x10 for the skid to stop against. Then 2 (minimum) straps front to back in an X pattern. In a crash if a 100 pound person can go through the windshield like a bullet I don't want to think about what a 1000 pound skid not securely strapped would do but being between it and the windshield I don't want to find out either.

My straps were custom made by L.M. with 6 inches of strap between the etrack and the ratchet. My short straps with green and long with orange straps. I couldn't quite ratchet an envelope but pretty much anything bigger than an envelope could be strapped unlike using truckstop straps that can't pull up short enough for many things. My straps also work well with barrels to strap them to the sidewall. They just clear a skid and they don't ratchet against the freight which can sometimes damage it.

My short straps are 14' to secure one 48x48x48 skid and my long ones are 18' to secure two 48x48x48 skids. I have the same crossways row of etrack at the back doors. I put the ratchet end into that so it's just open the doors and unstrap standing at the back doors.

Last edited: