Run on my own authority or go with big guys

1dbrandt

Seasoned Expediter
I recently bought a straight truck with a sleeper and I was going to hire on with a small company but felt the $1500 hold back and the 30% of the load was a little high on top of me paying for all the insurance and tags. Now I've taken the plunge and filed all the paper work for my own authority and I'm not sure I've made a wise choice.
Do any of the salty drivers have any advice for a bone head like me???
I live just outside of Chicago and wouldn't mind being gone for a couple of weeks like the big boys want, but I would rather have weekend home. Is there a happy place out there for me in the trucking world?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
How big is your bank account? Can you afford for people to be late paying??? Not saying it happens all the time, but it happens more then one might think and from talking to people it is happening more often...like this guy:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/40829-broker-late-pay.html

as for being home on weekends, one a month works, more then that and you are limiting your ability to make money.....expediting takes you all over the country and sitting over a weekend is also now becoming the norm...and DH'ing home say from Tx or Neb. can get expensive each weekend....

Last edited:

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
You also have some shippers that don't want to deal with a carrier unless they have a minimum # of trucks or that you have had your authority for over a year, etc. Like Dennis said, it can take some deep pockets to make it work.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Do you have a plan for finding loads, while also being the O/O and handling all the paperwork involved? :confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I recently bought a straight truck with a sleeper and I was going to hire on with a small company but felt the $1500 hold back and the 30% of the load was a little high on top of me paying for all the insurance and tags.
If you understood the industry well enough to buy a straight truck, then you would have understood, utterly, why the need for the $1500 hold back and that a 30% fee for finding the load, dealing with the brokers and getting paid for the loads, the hassles of insurance and the DOT, etc., isn't too much.

Now I've taken the plunge and filed all the paper work for my own authority and I'm not sure I've made a wise choice.
I am. :D

Do any of the salty drivers have any advice for a bone head like me???
Before you decide to swim the English Channel, learn to swim.

You've got your own authority, but you don't know how to get freight. You wont' find expedited freight on truck stop bid boards. Most expedited freight are on close bid boards, with most of it anymore being done with targeted e-mail offers and bidding, or direct phone calls. Even those with their own authority who know how to get freight, often spend every waking moment in which they are not driving, looking for freight or trying to get paid for freight they've already delivered (or they have someone back at the house doing it for them, in lieu of a regular full-time job). Most who have their own authority and are successful were leased on to a carrier for years before making the jump.

I live just outside of Chicago and wouldn't mind being gone for a couple of weeks like the big boys want, but I would rather have weekend home. Is there a happy place out there for me in the trucking world?
In the trucking world? Yes. In expediting? Probably not. If you like burning up the Illinois Toll Roads between O'Hare all points within a 50 miles radius, you're golden. Shippers will love you. Not enough to pay you anything worthwhile, but they'll love you just the same. Expediting can and will take you everywhere, anywhere in the lower 48 at any given time. You get a load offer from Detroit to San Diego, or Laredo, or Atlanta, and it's Wednesday afternoon, you gonna give that up to be home on the weekend? Not if you have a truck payment that needs to be made.

Like Dennis said, those who go home a lot on the weekends miss out on a lot of revenue potential. When you go home on a Friday, you miss out on countless load opportunities for Friday afternoon, evening and on Saturday. You also miss the first loads out on Monday, so it could be Tuesday before you get your first load. You end up working about 3 days a week, and that's if you are actually loaded all three of those days. In order to make it work in expediting, most people will need to be out for three weeks at a time, minimum. There are exceptions, of course, but not many. Most will simply stay out until they happen to get a load that takes them close to home, and then will stay there for a week or so. Those who plan, and execute the plan, to be home every weekend, seem to last a few months at most. Then they wonder why they can't make enough money to stay in business. Others only make actual plans to be home for very specific things, like Christmas, or a dentist or doctor appointment, and everything else is played by ear.

One thing out here that will kill you sure as dead is chronic unpaid headhead, like the kind you do to go home from more than about 150 miles away, just to gome home for the sake of going home. If you need, really need, to be home more than a couple of days a month, then you're better off doing local courier work, which pays even less than expediting does if you go home alot.

If you've bought that truck, and don't already know for sure how you're going to be regularly loaded, then you're best bet by far is to lease your truck onto a carrier, and then go where the freight takes you, getting home when you can.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Well your off to a good start. You need to look for a factoring service to get your money quickly. You can work directly with shippers or brokers but brokers may be the best way to get started. If you want to be home on weekends try running a couple of ltls each way between chicago and jersey/philly area. 2 or 3 round trips a week might may you enough money to be happy. If you run true expedite you should make enough to deadhead home after every run if you want. That is what I do. I run a van with my own authority, deadhead home after every run and then look for another load.

guido4475

Not a Member
Well your off to a good start. You need to look for a factoring service to get your money quickly. You can work directly with shippers or brokers but brokers may be the best way to get started. If you want to be home on weekends try running a couple of ltls each way between chicago and jersey/philly area. 2 or 3 round trips a week might may you enough money to be happy. If you run true expedite you should make enough to deadhead home after every run if you want. That is what I do. I run a van with my own authority, deadhead home after every run and then look for another load.

But why run empty after each load? Turn those empty miles into profitable miles and utilize yourself even more, putting more money in your pocket in the long run.

1dbrandt

Seasoned Expediter
I need to fire my proofreader. He's an idiot.

I meant what you knew there Turtle. ha.

Thank you for all your info. You hit the nail on the head as for why I wasn't sure on the choice I made with my authority. Once I got started with all the paper work and started to look for loads and talking to brokers things have kinda fallen apart.

1dbrandt

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to all who responded you have been a wealth of knowledge to a newbee like me. I greatly appreciate all your time and effort here.

Be safe out on the road and God bless.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
But why run empty after each load? Turn those empty miles into profitable miles and utilize yourself even more, putting more money in your pocket in the long run.

The reason that I deadhead home after each run is that I only work with shippers within a 75 mile radius of my home. If I did set somewhere and look for a load back home whatever time I used might cost me a run from one of the shippers back home. That is why I find for my case it is best to deadhead home as quickly as possible.

guido4475

Not a Member
The reason that I deadhead home after each run is that I only work with shippers within a 75 mile radius of my home. If I did set somewhere and look for a load back home whatever time I used might cost me a run from one of the shippers back home. That is why I find for my case it is best to deadhead home as quickly as possible.

So basically youre working for free half of the timeyoure working..Van or not, when it is moving, every effort should be made to keep it loaded.The one-way freight mentality is a sure recipe for financial disaster.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
So basically youre working for free half of the timeyoure working..Van or not, when it is moving, every effort should be made to keep it loaded.The one-way freight mentality is a sure recipe for financial disaster.

That is why I stopped running hotshots for Ceva, it was all one way and I can't afford to run my truck for half pay

fastrod

Expert Expediter

I have done it this way since april 2006 and it is not a recipe for financial disaster. I dont work for a carrier, I am the carrier which means I get all of the rate charged to the customer, not just 60%. That extra 40% more than covers my deadhead home.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Fast,
your in a different situation than most.75 loaded and 75 home is probably making you more than most of these others staying loaded at 150 miles per day

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have done it this way since april 2006 and it is not a recipe for financial disaster. I dont work for a carrier, I am the carrier which means I get all of the rate charged to the customer, not just 60%. That extra 40% more than covers my deadhead home.

Fastrod's had the time to fine tune his system that works for him, built a nice customer base to work from,most people won't work that hard to fine tune,

Last edited:

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter

Again, I have always said, "There are so many different ways to do this job". And fastrod has his way of doing this. What works for you, may seem crazy to others. I drive a ST and I am home every weekend (my choice). And I may deadhead home from Laredo (and have). I make every effort to try and get something coming back close to home, but if I don't, so be it. I don't think I am crazy. I know what works for me and I go for it. Am I losing money doing this? Sure. But I also make money. Our very diversities, is what makes EO the best site going for expediters. There is so many different ways to do this and EO has a wide range of people who post here. Anybody who comes looking for knowledge, is bound to find something here that fits their thoughts or style.

Last edited:

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Every time I get a wild hair and just for a fleeting second I think about getting my own authority (but I would do it with 18 wheels and not 6) I get my permit book down and just kind of thumb through the two solid inches of permits and other assorted paperwork that would be my headache and not Fed Ex's and I get over that bit of ambition in a flying hurry.