Romney held in disdain in his home state

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
"It is amazing that one simple question can't seem to get answered. If you want all or many things from government, someone has to pay for it."

WHAT? You mean that there is NO FREE LUNCH?
:eek: How can that be? :confused:

Some try to promote it yet can't explain who exactly is going to pay for it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dave: I'm at a loss to see why there's a need to attract business to invest and expand - isn't that what they exist to do? And isn't the profit they make in doing it enough? Because it was until the past decade or so, wasn't it?
They say their taxes are too high. I say their profit expectations are too high [insatiable, apparently].
As they can pay their top execs in the brazillions, and slap their names on stadiums, and donate further brazillions to political campaigns, which scenario seems more truthful?
They're not hurting for $$$$$.....
I think business needs America as much as vice versa, myself, and just like labor & management, it could work much better if it weren't adversarial.

PS I've said I have some problems with Obama too, and Immelt/GE is definitely on the list.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave: I'm at a loss to see why there's a need to attract business to invest and expand - isn't that what they exist to do? And isn't the profit they make in doing it enough? Because it was until the past decade or so, wasn't it?
They say their taxes are too high. I say their profit expectations are too high [insatiable, apparently].
As they can pay their top execs in the brazillions, and slap their names on stadiums, and donate further brazillions to political campaigns, which scenario seems more truthful?
They're not hurting for $$$$$.....
I think business needs America as much as vice versa, myself, and just like labor & management, it could work much better if it weren't adversarial.

PS I've said I have some problems with Obama too, and Immelt/GE is definitely on the list.

I would have agreed with you 20 years ago. The companies putting names on stadiums or paying outrageous salaries are really a small percentage of total business.
What has changed is we are now in a global economy on a grand scale verses years ago. That is the difference. Sure they want to make money and profit here. But because of foreign competition, the structure is now much different. They can now make money here yet operate from say South America or anywhere else.
Politicians from both parties are going to tolerate it because of the money involved in politics.

As an afterthought....keep in mind that many large corporations are now diversified with foreign investors. They care about the US as much as McDonalds opening a location in Iran and caring about Islam. They are here to make money. It really is that simple. Much different than say 20 years ago.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The corporations putting their names on megabuck venues just happen to be the ones we pretty much have to deal with, though: banks and cellphone carriers. I can quit BoA and Verizon, but where'm I gonna go [needing national coverage] except Sprint & 5th3rd? [And isn't that a brilliant name?!]
I wonder who'd get the biggest naming rights: would it be the Google White House? The Yahoo?
I have no comment on the global economy, that's just way above my pay grade at this point - someday I might learn more.
Nah, I doubt it, lol. Math gives me a headache.
:eek:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Corporations are made up of people just like unions are. How many truck owners are incorporated? I have to disagree corps have every right to donate to campaigns.

Can corps or unions vote in elections? No. Are they physical entities? No. They are fictional... meaning they are not solid. They have NO rights, according to the Constitution. Therefore, they should have NO say in our political process. If the people who run the companies want to donate THEIR money, that's fine. But having corps and unions donate... that's like all those dweebs sending in donations to Obama last time, under names like Mary Poppins, and Mack Daddy, and crap like that. It's not real!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would have agreed with you 20 years ago. The companies putting names on stadiums or paying outrageous salaries are really a small percentage of total business.
What has changed is we are now in a global economy on a grand scale verses years ago. That is the difference. Sure they want to make money and profit here. But because of foreign competition, the structure is now much different. They can now make money here yet operate from say South America or anywhere else.
Politicians from both parties are going to tolerate it because of the money involved in politics.

As an afterthought....keep in mind that many large corporations are now diversified with foreign investors. They care about the US as much as McDonalds opening a location in Iran and caring about Islam. They are here to make money. It really is that simple. Much different than say 20 years ago.

You hit it Dave...global economy....some of you old farts still think American when it comes to some big companies...they are NO more.....they are international.....GE, Ford, GM, Westinghouse.....They will produce where ever they please and where the most profits can be made....just as Toyota and Honda now make for cars here then Asia...go figure