RIP, Royce

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
I just received an e-mail from the family of Royce Hagan, ex-GM-worker-turned-expediter for a few years, and author of many posts here. Sadly, this letter informed me that Royce passed away early this morning in the hospital after a long struggle with many ills.

I only got to know Royce right at the very end-- I came here as a GM employee facing layoff to evaluate the possibility of taking up van expediting as a second career, and Royce went _far_ out of his way to help me along until I finally decided the move was impractical for me. (I may've come to this judgment prematurely, which is why I'm still lurking.) He was a good friend to me, in other words, and I suspect to many of the rest of you (and probably thousands of others over a long life) as well.

Royce's last e-mail before he entered the hospital was pleasant, positive, and upbeat. Clearly he was still full of fight and the joy of life. Yet he had to know that his condition was life-threatening-- I certainly did. To me, this bravery will be what I always remember most about the man, and will serve as a template for my own approach to such things if/when I ever have to face the same moment in life.

At any rate, I reckoned his brother and sister expediters would like to know of his passing. He seemed to enjoy being part of this community very much indeed. And I can certainly understand why.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Rene and I couldn't be sadder to hear of the oldprof's passing. We have communicated often during and since his expediting days and I have considered him to be one of the mainstays of the business, EO and the forums. Rest in Peace my friend, you'll be missed by many of us.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I never got to meet him, but feel as if I've lost a friend. I will miss his humorous perspective and always helpful posts.
R I P, Royce.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A fine gentleman and fellow expediter, a lose for our little community...:(

A sad moment indeed...

RIP...oldprof

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I casually noticed several weeks ago that no recent posts from the oldprof were surfacing. He seemed a gentle soul whose genteel spirit was predictably steady. Yes, the EO communty is diminished by this passing.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about this. The EO community will certainly miss him, his insight and experiences.

I wonder if we could get an address to express our condolences?

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
I'm sorry to hear about this. The EO community will certainly miss him, his insight and experiences.

I wonder if we could get an address to express our condolences?

I requested info on the funeral arrangements last night, still don't have it. If/when I do, will post immediately.

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
...and now said information has arrived. Cut-and-paste follows.

"Viewing will be at wilson st pierre in pendleton indiana on tuesday from 3 til 8 and funeral on wed at 11 at st ambrose church in anderson.
Thanks
Dawn"

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had passed over this thread not knowing who Royce was. When I clicked on it and read that it was the Old Prof...a sad day indeed. I will miss his wit, insight and dry sense of humor.

Hey Prof, is there a need for a Patented Pee Pipe in Heaven? Keep watch over us down here!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I loved the part of theoldprof's tagline that said "still nose nothin" - if there is a Heaven, he surely knows it now.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sad to hear. He was always a welcome voice here. He had some great posts over the years.