Rigmaster owners...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Or... start cutting along the CA border, and watch that worthless state drift out in the ocean and sink.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Broompilot's story reminded me of a feature we have on our setup that all trucks should have, I belive. If you are spec'ing a new truck or generator, ask about it.

If the generator does not auto start for some reason, the sleeper will continue to draw power from the truck batteries via the inverter. If the inverter detects that battery voltage is below an established level, the inverter will shut down all power to the sleeper, leaving the truck batteries healthy enough to start the truck. The milk in your refridgerator might get warm on you, but you won't have to find a buddy to give you a jump or pay for a service call.

By the way, one of the things I like about having a reefer is the ability to jump the truck off the reefer battery if need be. The truck may be dead, but if the reefer and truck electrical systems are kept totally independent, one bad system will not drain both down. You can jump one off the other.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some good reading on this subject is available in the August/September Landline.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

are12

Expert Expediter
A Team,

Did you also know you can start your truck off your generator? If the truck is dead but the generator starts, run the generator for a few minutes and then start the truck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our generator's starting power comes from the truck batteries. If the truck batteries are too low, the generator will not start. On applications where the sleeper has its own battery bank, what you say is true about starting the truck off the generator. It is not true on our truck.

That is a choice we made when we spec'ed the truck. We reasoned that by using a generator with an auto-start feature, we would eliminate the additional expense, maintenance, space needs, and weight of sleeper batteries.

truck439

Seasoned Expediter
The Alternators on RigMaster are rebuildable as well you can interchange them with Isuzu 60 amp Alternator as I have done. Also they are interchangeable with the alternator from smaller Kabota tractors. The cost is around $250. Cnd.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You can find a truck load of Generator suppliers in "Land Line"
magazine.

Last edited: