Rigmaster owners...

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
My neighbor informed me today that he was told an alternator for a rigmaster costs around $2500.

Now I've always thought, and still do, that rigmaster is the best APU out on the market. I understand that occasionally there will be a unit sold that always seems like it needs fixing. And rigmaster is no different, except that the number of complaints have been far outweighed by kudos. But I'll be dammed if I'm going to pay that much for a unit, only to be haunted by the fact that a small alternator would put me down 2.5 grand.

My neighbor will be checking to see if the alternator could be rebuilt. If so, they're back on the top of my list. If not, I'll be looking at different APUs.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

ManLaw

Seasoned Expediter
Thawk-after having 3 different generaters on 3 different trucks I can honestly say that the Rigmaster was nothing but a boat anchor. You are correct in that it is the most expensive to repair. That's part of the reason we think it's a boat anchor. WHILE it works, it can do the job like any other genset out there. The minute you start to have problems with it, you'll see why we feel this way. Repairs are constant and expensive.....that is IF you can find places to get service.

The Proheat was a better system than the Rigmaster, but as stated elsewhere, it lacks the cooling power that is needed in the southern states in the summer months. I see where Proheat is going to the rooftop air with the systems they are installing now. THAT should be a major improvement. Repair facilities are at most Carrier dealers. The only problem being, most dealers are just now getting into it and proficient mechanics for them are few and far between. Some don't stock the parts needed for even the simplest of repairs.

Onan by far has the quietest system on the market today. If you have a chance, stand in front of an Onan and have a conversation. THEN, go in front of either of the other 2 and try to have the same conversation. You can have a phone conversation standing in front of the Onan and the person your speaking with won't even know you're near it. You CAN NOT do that with the other 2. Onan, having been installed on MANY RV's for years now, is a system much easier to get repaired. There are MANY Onan dealers everywhere, not to mention the amount of Camping World stores from coast to coast.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
I was told the Alt. was around 1100.00 and the A/C comp I needed was 600.00 from rigmaster. I went to camble brown here and got the same one for 285.00. The A/C will still kill the motor and they say it is because I did not buy thier unit? for 600.00.
Check on a new motor and that is going to be 3200.00-3500.00 works when it is working.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
T-Hawk,
There are only a few alternator builders out in the world and it may simply be a Delco unit (commonly used and the best choice). Almost every alternator can be rebuilt, with the two most common problems being the diode packs or regulator.

As for $2500, that is what percentage of the cost of a new unit?

I don't buy into the proprietary use of alternators or compressors; they are not GM or Ford and can’t get Nippon or Delco to build them anything but an easily modified Off the Shelf compressor or alternator. Low production means easily obtained parts.

Remember these units are not built with the complexity of a computer, they have remained the same basic layout for years and easily fixed.

To anyone, just to throw this out, if you are so inclined to throw your APU off the truck and toss it onto the junk pile, even if the engine blew up - give me a PM – I need one cheap or free because I am cheap.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If someone told me a generator alternator cost $2,500 to repair, my next move would be to remove it from the generator and take it to a local rebuild shop to see if they can fix it there.

We had a Rig Master on one of the fleet owner trucks we drove. There are other generators out there that perform as well or better. Rig Master ranks low on our list.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to wonder sometimes where people get their information?

We have had several Rigmasters and have had good luck with them.

Information from Espar shows a 60 amp alternator is $412.50

A whole engine for replacement would be $2668

You could send a unit (alternator) out for rebuild and it would cost 100 to 200 depending on what it needs.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

GerryGA

Seasoned Expediter
Three weeks ago in OH I was told that a new alternator, bracket, belts, fuel pump, complete fuel filter unit and labor would be in the 1K area.

If I elected to do that...then I should get the new upgrades that included a new fan, and couple of things that would push the price up to 3-3500.00 range. Just saving my money....I can tell ya the Rigmaster will not cool my sleeper in GA....period.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The same was true of the Rigmaster we had in a Century Class Freightliner with 70" factory sleeper. On a hot day, we would idle as often as not because the Rigmaster was simply not up to the job. It was also unreliable, breaking down more than one would expect. We only have one Rigmaster-equipped truck to talk about. If others have stories to tell about how great they are, there is not much I can say to counter it. For us, however, one Rigmaster-equipped truck was enough. I'd rather contemplate dead puppies than remember our days with that thing.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
all I can say is mine is going back to the Perkins shop, Rigmaster did all they could. We'll see if it gets fixed or pulled.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been in 100 degree weather with my Rigmaster and I found it to be satisfactory as long as I had the window shades up. If I start the day with the sleeper at 74, by late afternoon it will get up to 82. Not as good as central air in a house, but good enough to stay comfortable.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think the ones that are just several years old are much better. A bigger generator two fans,and a upgraded electronic system. We have the CAT engine which is pretty much the same as the Perkins short of a couple things. Isulation in the sleeper is probably some what of a factor. We have had ours in well over 100 degree heat and haven't had any problems. At 6000 watts, you could run a roof top with one of these things if you wanted. I think the Onan is a better unit, but it costs quite a bit more and really isn't needed until you get into the larger sleepers.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
$1200 more for an Onan, but with many, many more service centers. That added to the fact that they service these things at an engine shop, makes me wonder which is the better buy. I'll be ready for that decision by the next heatwave in '08.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When I priced them there was a much bigger spread. Additionally, the Onan requires the rooftop air conditioning. Price on that I would say depends on the truck.

With the last Rigmaster, we paid 6500 installed. The last Onan installed several years ago was 8500 for the generator, and 1700 for the roof top unit. Maybe they have come down in price?

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We had several done at this location in Jacksonville, FL

www.cumminspowersouth.com

I would still shop around as prices change so much with generators.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I am considering another Pro-Heat/Carrier for new used ride. This time it is comming with me. 5 hours to remove 18 to install. (I got this in writing if I decide to purchase.)

My Pro-Heat was terrible at first, the first one and half years I know it was down 13 or 14 times. TSI did the rebuild, and than two weeks later the Computer told the alt to not work, so my batteries drained to nothing keeping the heater running until there was no more power in the batteries. Now it was cold that night, it seemed like when I stepped out to see what I could do beside swear at it maybee
-25 below with three feet of snow and 60mph winds. Actually as mad as I was it melted all the snow around the truck. No it was ice crystal fog, probably in the low 20s no wind but it did snow the night before and just as it would be my jumper cables were in my tool box, my tool box was positioned over a sink hold you guessed it full of water. Enough rant.

With my investigation and the up grades and now a dealer net work accross the US and the fact I am only going from point A to B any more, I think that after I see how this goes for a month or two and how much true sitting time I have 24 hours to deliver 650 miles, I will than make the final decision. No weekends so that 48 hours will not be a pay back only M-F or Sat the new HOS 8 hours in the bunk.
Since I know this thing in and out have seen just about any repair that could have been done to my last unit, is another plus.

Any suggestions? I am open for any at all. PS price I was quoted is $9016.00 one more year warranty $210.00 for three years three thousand hours. Standard warranty 2 years 2 thousand hours.

PS just a suggestion if you own one of these. Only use the factory belts on them. Napa actually begins to fall apart in three months, and if it goes just right, you will be replacing a whole lot more than a belt. The factory (Goodyear) do not do this, and even though they say replace every six months, you will easily get a year or year and half of running hard, the other good thing is they do not stretch like the Napas so no Vibration in the whole truck, sleeping with this shake will wear ones teeth down as well, plus any dishes RATTLE.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Apparently Rigmaster came down in price. Last time I was there, they said $7300. Now Dave says $6500. What kind of discount did you get, if any, Dave?

Broom... Both Rigmaster and Onan have a 4000 hour warranty, if that helps your decision.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Price was 7K. Got a $500 rebate from OOIDA which brought the cost down to $6500

I got mine at Palmer, but I believe Espar is pretty close in price.
The OOIDA discount is available if a member. Just go to their site for additional information.
www.ooida.com

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Now I am going to throw this into the mix.

Sometime in 2008, California will start requiring Diesel Particle Filters on APUs (generators) but not reefer units - the point is that I read that other states will follow. The need for the filters by the way is not needed to reduce particles when a properly tuned engine while running under a load.

What will people do when they get his with the $1500 to $2000 retrofitting the APU engine with the proper emission controls?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What will people do when they get his with the $1500 to $2000 retrofitting the APU engine with the proper emission controls?
=================================
Good question...........hook it into the trucks exhaust system?
Seriously, not quite sure? Hopefully battery technology catches up and we can go that route.
Or.......no loads into CA, or charge enough in the rate to get a room.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator