Right vs. Wrong (Left)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are many differences between right and wrong. One primary difference is desired public perception. The right doesn't care what the general public thinks. The left is all about peer approval.

I heard it phrased well by Dennis Prager but can't remember the phrasing now. Basically, those who are right are concerned with doing what is right whether it's a high profile cause or the popular thing this week or not. It doesn't matter what the general public thinks, only what is right. They aren't looking for public praise, just personal satisfaction at doing the right thing. Those who are wrong are interested in the high profile popular cause whether it's correct or right or not merely because it's the one that presumably will get them high public approval from other wrong minded people like themselves. It's the "in" thing, the one that will get them positive comments from the likes of David Letterman, Whoopi Goldberg and any number of other meaningless people.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The greatest gage for this is what one continuouly does when no one is watching.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is a VERY large percentage of people in this country that put celebraty in higher esteem that those who really do things. They trust the word of a singer or actor who has no real use to those who put their lives on the line every day and have real world experience. Un-real. :(

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
There is a VERY large percentage of people in this country that put celebraty in higher esteem that those who really do things. They trust the word of a singer or actor who has no real use to those who put their lives on the line every day and have real world experience. Un-real. :(

I Believe that you are Right On That One, Just Look at all of those Over Paid Phonies with all of Their Millions of Dollars and Yet Don't spend it here! They Buy all of those Get away Homes In France, Italy and God Knows where Else. They do Nothing But Grab The Money, Run Their Mouth and Go Back Home to Where Ever and with American Dollars. There are Billions of Dollars Leaving with Those Phonies Every Year and No-One Seems to want to Do Anything About It!:mad:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I Believe that you are Right On That One, Just Look at all of those Over Paid Phonies with all of Their Millions of Dollars and Yet Don't spend it here! They Buy all of those Get away Homes In France, Italy and God Knows where Else. They do Nothing But Grab The Money, Run Their Mouth and Go Back Home to Where Ever and with American Dollars. There are Billions of Dollars Leaving with Those Phonies Every Year and No-One Seems to want to Do Anything About It!:mad:
Hey .... I got an idea ...... I think we should have Congress pass a law to confiscate all that money (afterall, they are American dollars, meaning that they must actually be ours, collectively) ..... from those Over Paid Phonies (who, theoretically, actually worked to earn said dollars, in a supposedly free and capitalistic society) ..... or we could just have them make it a law that anything you are going to spend your money on must be Made In America ...... (really it's "our" money, right ? ... so we oughta have some say in it .....)

Yeah, that's the ticket .... I bet that will do wonders for our export markets abroad .....

Or maybe we could pass a law where "they", being Phonies and all, should be prohibited from "Running Their Mouths" .... afterall, it's not like they have a right to their own ideas or opinions, let alone the right to actually voice them publicly ....

.... just another little piece of commonly-retarded wisdom, brought to you by the commonly-retarded folks that inhabit the EO Soapbox ...... where, you too, can practice looking utterly stoopid in public ..... just by opening your yap .....

BTW, anyone that believes that the Left has a lock on the class-envy thing, need only look at the post I quoted above and discern what is really being said .....

Last edited:

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Hey .... I got an idea ...... I think we should have Congress pass a law to confiscate all that money (afterall, they are American dollars, meaning that they must actually be ours, collectively) ..... from those Over Paid Phonies (who, theoretically, actually worked to earn said dollars, in a supposedly free and capitalistic society) ..... or we could just have them make it a law that anything you are going to spend your money on must be Made In America ...... (really it's "our" money, right ? ... so we oughta have some say in it .....)

Yeah, that's the ticket .... I bet that will do wonders for our export markets abroad .....

Or maybe we could pass a law where "they", being Phonies and all, should be prohibited from "Running Their Mouths" .... afterall, it's not like they have a right to their own ideas or opinions, let alone the right to actually voice them publicly ....

.... just another little piece of commonly-retarded wisdom, brought to you by the commonly-retarded folks that inhabit the EO Soapbox ...... where, you too, can practice looking utterly stoopid in public ..... just by opening your yap .....

BTW, anyone that believes that the Left has a lock on the class-envy thing, need only look at the post I quoted above and discern what is really being said .....

You Forgot "OverPaid" Phonies, and Yes you took that Out of Context, But I Probably Didn't come across the way I Meant to which is this: They are "Overpaid Phonies" who Think that just Because they are "Celebrities" that What they Say is the Gospel! Oh By the Way, I have also Read some of your Posts which were On the Retarted Side, So I Guess Everyone Including You Sounds a Little Stupid Too At Times :D

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
You Forgot "OverPaid" Phonies, and Yes you took that Out of Context, But I Probably Didn't come across the way I Meant to which is this: They are "Overpaid Phonies" who Think that just Because they are "Celebrities" that What they Say is the Gospel! Oh By the Way, I have also Read some of your Posts which were On the Retarted Side, So I Guess Everyone Including You Sounds a Little Stupid Too At Times :D

I wasn't Talking about having the Govt. Making any Laws Just for them, I was Referring That All They do is Run Their Mouths about what They Think Should Be Done and Then Go Back to Their Homes in Other Countries, Like What Goes On in This One Really Matters Yo Them! And People Actually Believe in these Phonies and what they Say! Especially the Media! :D

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I am not opposed to anyone earning as much as they can in any LEGAL form. I do NOT believe in taxing in a progressive manner. I would not tax one professon more than another. If you earned you should keep as much as possible and you can spend it any legal way you want.

What I DON'T like is what many in this country do, confusing celebraty with knowlege. The ability to catch a ball, smack a puck or sing a song does NOT give you greater insight into matters that truely count. Pretending to be a doctor in a movie or on tv does NOT make you a doctor. Oprah has little clue on much of what she speaks on and yet she would have more clout during an election than a person who has spent a lifetime in fields that relate to the job that a candidate is running for. To be honest, when any candidate from any party brings out a singer or actor or what ever to endorse his or her campain I knock DOWN the points that I have given them up to that point. The MORE celebs you trot out the less likely you are to have any brains yourself. The idea that you have to depend on others celebraty rather than your own strengths and ablilty shows a weak mind.

The entire thing does not say much for our priorities as a Nation either.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem with celebrities is that many of them are all hat and no cattle. Alec Baldwin is a good example. "The day Bush is elected is the day I'll move out of the U.S." (paraphrased). Where did he live during the eight years of Bush presidency? Here of course.

Celebrities were not the object of the original post. It's meant to show that liberals are all about the correct public position while conservatives are all about the correct position in public. That's closer to the way I heard it put and it truly describes things. Liberals are all about what looks good, what has the P.C. stamp of approval, what gets them the kudos, regardless of the right or wrong of it. Conservatives are all about what needs to be done whether it's popular or not, just because it's the right thing to do.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
You Forgot "OverPaid" Phonies,
I'd be happy to edit my post and add that in - if it would make you feel any better. It was, merely a minor oversight on my part I assure you - since afterall, the inclusion of "OverPaid" would only serve to further make the point I was making.

and Yes you took that Out of Context,
How's that ? Please do elaborate ......

But I Probably Didn't come across the way I Meant to
..... ya think ?

While I don't doubt for a minute that, in hindsight now, it didn't come across the way you would have preferred it to appear, I also don't doubt that the remarks as stated are reflective of your true gut feelings on the matter.

which is this: They are "Overpaid Phonies" who Think that just Because they are "Celebrities" that What they Say is the Gospel!
Yeah ...... of course, there is no one on the "Right" who is an "Overpaid Phony", who believes that "What they Say is the Gospel" ...... oh my goodness, no ......

Oh By the Way, I have also Read some of your Posts which were On the Retarted Side, So I Guess Everyone Including You Sounds a Little Stupid Too At Times
Of that, I'm sure ......

Look, my picking on you isn't at all personal - you just happened to be a good example of the lunacy that the OP posited as the premise of this thread:

That so-called "Right" is always right, for all the right motivations and reasons, and the so-called "Left" is always wrong because their motivations aren't genuine and true.

The positing of such a concept is inherently a lie or untruth, because it is a generality. It doesn't really do anything - except to cause divisiveness amongst those who might have some common interests (if they could stop the chest-thumping long enough to look), and make someone feel good - because they were able to beat their chest and proclaim how "great" the side they see themselves as part of, is.

No real Truth will attach until you actually get to specifics - like in Alec Baldwin's case - and in any case, the more specifics the better.

For what it's worth, Alec Baldwin, as a person generally, makes my skin crawl .... I see the guy as a twit, smarmy and disingenuous at best ..... and that's being kind about it. But that doesn't mean that he's entirely wrong, or that some of his positions on the political spectrum are entirely without merit.

I wasn't Talking about having the Govt. Making any Laws Just for them,
Well, that's good that you have cleared that up - because I really figured that when you said:

"There are Billions of Dollars Leaving with Those Phonies Every Year and No-One Seems to want to Do Anything About It!"

that you actually meant that someone ought to actually do something about it ... whether it be government, or a private party (.... say, a lynching maybe ? :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I didn't say it was an absolute 100% of the time. It is however the common situation. The statements I made fit the two groups in most cases. It's the difference between the right position in public and the right public position (right/left, right/wrong respectively).

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Quote:
But I Probably Didn't come across the way I Meant to

..... ya think ?

While I don't doubt for a minute that, in hindsight now, it didn't come across the way you would have preferred it to appear, I also don't doubt that the remarks as stated are reflective of your true gut feelings on the matter.

Too ****' funny!!! poorboy you should let greg and layout speak. I can just imagine the cringes on their faces when they see your screen name pop up.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Celebrities were not the object of the original post. It's meant to show that liberals are all about the correct public position while conservatives are all about the correct position in public.
Suuuuure ...... what have you got Leo - an unlimited lifetime supply of the koolaid ?

That's closer to the way I heard it put and it truly describes things.
No, actually, it doesn't ....

The minute you start painting an entire segment of the political spectrum as being monolithic and all the same, the only thing it really does is show your own ignorance, bias, and small-mindedness.

Liberals are all about what looks good, what has the P.C. stamp of approval, what gets them the kudos, regardless of the right or wrong of it. Conservatives are all about what needs to be done whether it's popular or not, just because it's the right thing to do.
Just one name ...... although there are certainly many, many, many others:

Jack Abramoff (click the link)

Now there's a boy who was a real piece of work:

"Abramoff was a top lobbyist for the Preston Gates & Ellis and Greenberg Traurig firms and a director of the National Center for Public Policy Research, a conservative think tank, and Toward Tradition. He was College Republican National Committee National Chairman from 1981 to 1985. He was a founding member of the International Freedom Foundation"

There's your "Conservative/Right" in real life ..... or one of them at least ......

Last edited:

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Here some more from Abramoff. poorboy you'll really enjoy this one talk about taking your money elsewhere. You really shouldn't paint with such a broad brush.

Tyco Inc.
Former White House Deputy Counsel Timothy Flanigan left his job in December 2002 to work as General Counsel for Corporate and International Law at Tyco International. He immediately hired Abramoff to lobby Congress and the White House on matters relating to Tyco's Bermuda tax-exempt status.[35] Flanigan stated to the Senate Judiciary Committee that Abramoff bragged that he could help Tyco avoid tax liability aimed at offshore companies because he "had good relationships with members of Congress."[36]

Tyco Inc. claimed in August 2005 that Abramoff had been paid $1.7 million for 'astroturfing', or the creation of a fake "grassroots" campaign to oppose proposals to penalize US corporations registered abroad for tax reasons. The work allegedly was never performed, and most of the fee Tyco paid Abramoff to lobby against the legislation was "diverted to entities controlled by Mr. Abramoff".[36]

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's the classic stark difference between conservatism and liberalism.
Liberalism is more often about Symbolism over Substance.
Conservatism is more often about Substance over Symbolism.
That's just the nature of the philosophies, but there are certainly plenty of cases where the opposite, of both philosophies, is true.

But, symbolism is important, because people buy into it, as they can accept the symbolism without even knowing what it means. The following picture comparison of pre-election magazine covers gives a great illustration of not only symbolism over substance, but it is a virtual clinic on the media bias, as well as the methods of advertisers and others used in the manipulation of the minds of the masses. Take a close look at these two photographs and how they are presented, and see what perceptions you have of them.

Obama-McCainTIME.jpg

Obama is up close and personal, just like your friends and the people you trust. McCain is put off at a distance.

Obama is slightly left of center, which is not a subtle thing, and is softly lit from all angles, with the primary light from above. McCain is harshly lit, being illuminated by "the light of the left," and everything about McCain that is right of center is dark and unclear.

The lighting also causes Obama's features to be soft, young, fresh, while McCain's are harsh, wrinkled, old and stale.

McCain also has a fake fist, fake strength, which translates to weakness. There is also clearly something up his sleeve which he does not want to reveal.

Obama is photographed straight on at eye level, putting you and him on the same level, and he's looking you directly in the eye when he looks back at you. The way McCain is photographed, he's looking down upon you, and not even directly at you, not directly into your eye, not connecting with you.

TIME is out in front of Obama, you see TIME and then Obama, and thus it's TIME for Obama. McCain is out in front of TIME, obscuring TIME, McCain has passed his TIME.

Obama is connected to controlling nuclear rogues, being a hero, and the strong and resolute "Do ya feel lucky, punk?" Clint Eastwood. McCain is connected to a falling graph of the recession with the graph trend heading directly towards McCain, Creating Life which plants the question in people's minds of whether McCain thinks he's God, and connecting him with "OMG not again!" that tired old Stallone and Rambo.

The headline next to Obama is The Next President, while the headline next to McCain just reminds us that he keeps crashing and burning.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The idea that people needs or relates to symbolism may be true but it is NOT a good thing. The election of our representitives to our government is far too important than signs and symbols. We listen to silly promises and fall for them because they sound good. We should be looking at experience, Character and the ability to think. We, as a nation, have not done that for years. We are stuck in a "party" and pay little attention to the candidates themselfs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I said, it is not 100%. It is however the more common position and factor with each group. You don't have to agree. It doesn't change anything and doesn't matter who agrees or disagrees. It is how it is.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
As I said, it is not 100%. It is however the more common position and factor with each group. You don't have to agree. It doesn't change anything and doesn't matter who agrees or disagrees. It is how it is.

Leo said it, so it has to be true. Get over yourself Leo.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The idea that people needs or relates to symbolism may be true but it is NOT a good thing.
Well, when misused, it's not a good thing, but symbolism in and of itself, nor the need of people to relate to symbolism, is in and of itself not a bad thing. It is merely the iconic representation of an abstract idea, i.e., communication. It's what is being communicated that may be a good thing or a bad thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with symbolism. The picture in your sig is a good example of one of the many uses of symbolism.