Respect for the dead?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If that is the custom I would do so if it were safe to do so. I used to when I lived in SC. It is MUCH harder to do so safely in a straight truck.

It is difficult for people who travel to know all of the local customs.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All life, and the death of that life, is worthy of respect, regardless of how one chose to live that life.

Well, that is your belief, not mine. When a person chooses to lead a life that is not worthy of respect they show disrespect for the life that was given them. Many are not worthy of respect during their life OR after their death.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
All life, and the death of that life, is worthy of respect, regardless of how one chose to live that life.

Cannot agree with that at all. I was a vocal critic of Ted Kennedy, even after he kicked the bucket. I could not respect that toad. If Obama dies before me, I will drag my crippled butt off the chair, and dance in the streets.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cannot agree with that at all. I was a vocal critic of Ted Kennedy, even after he kicked the bucket. I could not respect that toad. If Obama dies before me, I will drag my crippled butt off the chair, and dance in the streets.

Please don't be so disrespectful of toads.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I don't make a habit of going to funerals of people I don't love and respect.

On the other hand, it is difficult to discern who is worthy of respect and who isn't, especially when on the road and in an area where you don't know anyone.

I try to show respect whereever I am and regardless of who the dear departed might be. I will often go so far as to try to slip into the funeral processional (normally near the rear, assuming I could join in without causing traffic problems). My co-driver and I even bought a couple of those black flags on plastic posts which have magnetized bases and can be set on the hood of the truck in a jiffy.

Intersections can cause the most problems, however, and when trying to blow through one in catching up we might have to lay on the air horns. That sometimes tends to rattle great-uncle Festus who had originally been bringing up the rear in his Buick Roadmaster.

At first my co-driver was somewhat embarrassed at the gravesite, particularly when we are wearing our carrier apparel - but he soon got over that when he found out how good the food normally is at the wake, or whatever it's called in your area. We try not to eat and run, thus try to mix with family and friends briefly, but when in the middle of a load that's sometimes impossible.

I often wonder how well-fed we would be if baby showers and class reunions held processionals.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
“I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”
Thomas Jefferson

Just because someone chooses to live their live differently then yourself, doesn't disqualify them from life... they are just different.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
“I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”
Thomas Jefferson

Just because someone chooses to live their live differently then yourself, doesn't disqualify them from life... they are just different.

No one should respect evil. It has nothing to do with politics. Those who seek to enslave and control are evil in every respect, regardless of their political or religious backgrounds.

I could not withdraw from a friend who sought to enslave or control for i would not have such a person as a friend in the first place. Those kinds of people are my enemy.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't imagine hating 60% of your own people...

so a serviceman/woman dies that voted for Obama....???

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't imagine hating 60% of your own people...

They hate me and everything I believe in. They are not "my people".
"My people" believe in freedom and self determination. "My people" do not seek to enslave and control. "My people" believe in the idea that a Man should live his life as he sees fit and that the Man should succeed, or fail, on his merits alone.

It is strange that you would have a problem with me "hating" those who would seek to destroy my way of life but have no problem with those who hate the 40%. If you believe those numbers. I have NO idea where in the world you got them from.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They hate me and everything I believe in. They are not "my people".
"My people" believe in freedom and self determination. "My people" do not seek to enslave and control. "My people" believe in the idea that a Man should live his life as he sees fit and that the Man should succeed, or fail, on his merits alone.

It is strange that you would have a problem with me "hating" those who would seek to destroy my way of life but have no problem with those who hate the 40%. If you believe those numbers. I have NO idea where in the world you got them from.

the number of Obama supporters and the ones that didn't vote....

but never mind....best leave the dead lie....

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Thomas Jefferson

Politicians call each other friend. I call them worthless sons of *****s. I'd just assume water the grass on their graves, if you know what I mean.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, that is your belief, not mine. When a person chooses to lead a life that is not worthy of respect they show disrespect for the life that was given them. Many are not worthy of respect during their life OR after their death.
Well, as a devout Agnostic (with latent Atheistic tendencies), there's always room for doubt, for the possibility that the whole God, Christ and the Holy Spirit thing is really and truly true. What if it is?

In that light and in that context, I have to believe that human life is always a good (as opposed to sometimes a good, and sometimes a bad). The dignity of human life, of our life, of your life, flows from creation in the image of God (Gn. 1:26), from redemption by Jesus Christ (Eph. 1:10; 1 Tm 2:4-6), and from our common destiny to share a life with God beyond all corruption (1 Cor. 15:42-57). If you believe any of that, or allow for the possibility, then none of these sources of our dignity takes into account our intellectual or physical capacity, age, life expectancy, or even our deeds and actions. While our abilities to reason, to discern between good and evil, and exercise free will can allow us to know and love our Creator, whoever or whatever that Creator may be, they must be understood in light of our ultimate destiny.

Whether you believe in Creationism, or you are purely an Evolutionist where evolution would select for organisms that give value to their own life (those that cared whether they lived or died lived longer and had more offspring), life is a astounding miracle in any context you wish to apply. If you believe in God, then you know that God created man for incorruption, and made him in the image of His own eternity. So, knowing that, from the first moment of existence, all human beings are therefore eternal beings. Thus, any reasoned vision of a life, whether they be good or evil, living or dead, must reject any "quality of life" or "worthy of respect" calculations of human dignity or respect based on the deeds of our earthly functions.

A new life created is a joyous thing, and the death of a life is a sorrowful thing. Nothing that happens in between those two can change either one. Or at least it shouldn't. Not if you respect life itself. That's not to say that you should respect the person of a Ted Kennedy, or an Osama bin Laden, but the life within, not their actions or deeds, should nevertheless be respected, no matter how or who created it.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Boy this thread started out being an informative expediter thread to A soapbox thread.
Moderator plesee move this thread to soapbox where it now belongs!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
it can be brought back with a couple posts on topic...as easily as it went astray...lets wait and see...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If it gets moved to the Soapbox, then some yahoo will complain that it's in the wrong forum because the first half of the thread doesn't belong in the Soapbox.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it gets moved to the Soapbox, then some yahoo will complain that it's in the wrong forum because the first half of the thread doesn't belong in the Soapbox.

Hey now...who you calling a yahoo?..... your a mod, you can't be calling me names.....:rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Move it to the Soapbox, whoever complains, there's yer yahoo. :)