requirements to join up with Panther

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri1 122 First let me say that I was not 100% correct, I just got hot because turtle called the entire cargo van fleet a bunch of dumb as a brick van drivers. Now to answer your guestion, I think what you are asking is what dot allows to go into a cargo van. As far as explosives go there are 2 tables. #1 is 1.1 1.2 and 1.3, these are like military stuff and cannot be loaded into a cargo van. #2 is 1.4 1.5 1.6 these are more like fire works and can go into a cargo van. Take 4.1 Flammable Solids, they can go into a cargo van as long as they are not Spontaneously Combustible in which case they are class 4.2. Or you could have 4.3 Dangerous when Wet which is Spontaneously Combustible AND a flammable solid. 4.2 and 4.3 cannot go into a regular cargo van. 4.3 is in table 1 which must be placarded in any amount. About 20% of all my loads are hazmat and most of it is just paint. I have hauled some table 1 products clear across the country and up into BC. Placarded all the way, scaled all the way, and never once had a problem with scales or log books. Because I am a cargo van and dot is not used to seeing placards on us, I get DOT'D about 4 or 5 times a year. Last violation I had was in the fall of 1987. I guess being dumb as a brick van driver I am just lucky. You could ask your haz-mat department for the full story and they probably could give you their policy on haz-mat.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Late4dinner, I think you need to rethink your response. I can't speak for Turtle, but he is a Sprinter driver and a lot of his posts utilize sarcasm, because of the disrespect smaller commercial vehicles seem to get. I also believe that Turtle doesn't just spout off. If you have ever read his posts they are researched, factually based and explicit. Then there is the humor and sarcasm.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hay turtle, Just thought I would let you know that I am one of those bazillion bumb as a brick van drivers and I would like to point out to you that you don't know as much as you think you do.

I think maybe Turtle was referring to Panther's hazmat policy as applied to vans.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Alright, maybe I read something into it without understanding his brand of humor, and if I did I am sorry. Turtle, if we ever cross paths, the coffee is on me, okay?

Reactions: 1 person

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Late4dinner: you got hot because you didn't realize that Turtle was referring to the perception of many folks regarding van drivers, (because of the ease of entry into the field, and the turnover rate, which is surely much higher than with other units). The perception is accurate in some cases, but way, WAY off in others. Also, if Turtle states a fact, you can rest assured that he can back it up, which is why I asked if you could, too - you have to be prepared to be challenged here, at times, ok? It's all part of the give & take that keeps us interested, IMO.
Finally, I don't need to ask what my carrier's policy is on hazmat, because they don't deal with it at all, and I like that just fine. :)

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Morningstar: you wonder why some of us would rather not haul hazmat? I have a Class A with hazmat, but would rather not haul it, because both the regulations and the risks are greater, but the pay is the same. Why assume the increased duties and risks, for free?
Late4dinner: I wonder if you can cite the authority for your assertions re: hauling some placardable hazmat in a cargo van?

...tis is true....

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri1 122 Okay, as I said I am sorry. I'm somewhat new and I probably should just sit back and watch a little more. I hope I don't have to end up buying too much coffee, or eating too much crow. By the way, hauling haz-mat isn't too bad. The company or the brokers or anyone else can't push you to do more than 11 hours at a time. You get plenty of rest and for the most part it's high dollar freight.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Late4dinner:

Well, first, as others have stated, many of my posts are loaded with sarcasm (mostly humorous), and this one is no exception. FYI, I have hauled many placarded loads with my previous carrier (Cheri was with them, too), and fully understand what can and cannot go on a van. Since this thread is about Panther (hence the title of the thread - requirements to join up with Panther, duh), and not about your carrier or the carrier that I was with prior to Panther, I saw no need in going into the kind of detail that would be meaningless to other Panther cargo van drivers within the scope of this thread, i.e., the requirements to join up with Panther.

Table 1 materials are placarded in any amount, and with very few exceptions cannot go onto a cargo van. Table 2 materials are not placardable in amounts of 1000 pounds or less, but are placardable in amounts of 1001 or more, and these, with few exceptions, can be put on a cargo van.

It is these Table 2 materials that Panther will not put on a cargo van if the amount requires placarding, which is what I find ironic since Panther requires a CDL, and you don't need a CDL to haul non-placardable HAZMAT, but they want a CDL, anyway. I have actually had Team Leaders and Supervisors at Panther tell me that if the HAZMAT requires placarding (like, 1500 pounds of paint), then it cannot legally be put on a van. So it's not just the van drivers at Panther who are dumb as a brick.

Second, since you drive for Landstar, by definition you are not a dumb as a brick van driver, however if you wish to view yourself as such, that's up to you. But at Panther, with the van driver turnover rate being at such as obscene level due to them bringing on people who are so stupid that bricks laugh at them because they are so stoopid, there is little point in trying to teach bazillions of dumb as a brick van drivers how to log and scale and properly secure HAZMAT freight when they're likely to be gone within a month or two.

There are, like, 50 van drivers per week at Panther orientation, and it's very likely that 48 with not be with Panther 6 months later. Fr8 Shaker got it right about the requirements for Panther, except that you don't even have to own the van, all you have to do is be a warm body for a fleet owner and you're good to go. IQ above 50 optional.

If you don't think that, by and large, most Panther van drivers are dumb as a brick, let me give you an illustration. We've all (well, many of us) had mechanical failures while loaded that result in either having to cross dock it, get towed to the consignee, or be late, or all three. I just had one this week where I picked up a load in Nebraska going to Georgia, 1215 miles, and a few miles from the shipper I lost all acceleration power. I thought it was a cracked turbo resonator, but it turned out to be the intercooler hose leading to the resonator. Same result, either way, low boost pressure in the turbocharger. Going uphill I might as well have taken my foot off the accelerator, but downhill or on flat road I could maintain 60-65 without too much problem.

It wasn't too bad in Nebraska, but the hills around St Joseph and Kansas City were not fun at all, so I knew I'd never make it over Monteagle Mountain. I called dispatch when I was just north of KC to let them know the load would have to swap, told them that if they had anyone in KC that would be fine, even though I'd be giving up a ton of miles. I felt getting the load swapped in a planned fashion was better than the van finally quitting on me and then having to swap it out in an emergency situation, possibly having the freight be delivered late. No one in KC, told them that was OK, I could make it to St Louis, or wherever they had another van available. We swapped it out in St Louis after about 680 miles. That's a snotload of miles to drive with no turbocharger, lemme tell ya. :)

But, we got the load swapped and it was delivered on time. I got the van repaired and I'm good to go.

I tell you that to put into perspective that we at Panther have van drivers who have to swap loads because they ran out of gas.

See? Dumb as a brick.

Now, to the fun stuff...

"...and I would like to point out to you that you don't know as much as you think you do."

Yeah, I know. I'm a dumb as a brick van driver, remember?

"I just got hot because turtle called the entire cargo van fleet a bunch of dumb as a brick van drivers."

You got hot because of what some moron on an online Web forum said? Really? The Internet ain't real. It's the Funny Papers. Never let it get to you.

"I hope I don't have to end up buying too much coffee, or eating too much crow."

Naaa.
itsallgood.gif

We're all here to have fun, learn a little, and spout off a lot.

2ebscig.gif

RLENT, Moot, Turtle