requirements to join up with Panther

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Last I heard, Panther DOES require a CDL w/hazmat for all drivers. Only fleet owners need not have a CDL, unless of course, they also want to drive. Might want to go to the recruiter forum and ask at the source though.

Dan

Last edited:

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
thats wierd......... when did they start that???
i have had 2 drivers i trained....... and were told they only needed a class B
for str8 trucks
i have a CDL...
but thats cause i went to truck driving school and went to work for ha Swift.....
now doing this..... which i love soo much better..... heh

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Federal law requires commercial drivers who operate a single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds to have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
thats wierd......... when did they start that???
i have had 2 drivers i trained....... and were told they only needed a class B
for str8 trucks
i have a CDL...
but thats cause i went to truck driving school and went to work for ha Swift.....
now doing this..... which i love soo much better..... heh

They require at least a class C, which is still a CDL, no?

pantherontheprowl

Seasoned Expediter
Panther requires a Class A CDL for tractors, a Class B CDL for straight trucks and a Class C CDL for cargo vans. If you have a Class A you can drive any size vehicle. If you have a Class B you can drive straight truck or cargo van. If you have a Class C you can only drive a cargo van. We also do not require Hazmat.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i have haz mat......
ya know i dont understand why some drivers dont want to mess with it.....
its not a big deal
and the test is not that bad
and take it from me. i am soooooooo bad at testing........ and if i can do it ... anyone can do it.. LOL
most the ?? are basic commen sense questions.....
and its just part of the job you choose to do ..... as a driver.
just liek going to canada........ sometimes i HATE going there and putting up with all the boarder stuff and paper work and clearing this and that.......... but its not really all that bad

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have haz mat......
ya know i dont understand why some drivers dont want to mess with it.....
its not a big deal
and the test is not that bad
and take it from me. i am soooooooo bad at testing........ and if i can do it ... anyone can do it.. LOL
most the ?? are basic commen sense questions.....
and its just part of the job you choose to do ..... as a driver.
just liek going to canada........ sometimes i HATE going there and putting up with all the boarder stuff and paper work and clearing this and that.......... but its not really all that bad

Like most things ...

It's mind over matter...if ya don't mind it doesn't matter!:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For cargo vans, Panther requires a CDL, but they do not require HAZMAT. But, in order to get a CDL for a cargo van, there must be an endorsement of some kind on the license, otherwise it's not a CDL, it's a regular Class D operator's license. So, you can get either HAZMAT, or a Passenger endorsement for a van Class C.

A passenger endorsement is certainlty cheaper than the HAZMAT background check, that's for sure. And since Panther will not put placardable HAZMAT on a van, the HAZMAT endorsement is basically a waste of money. When you are HAZMAT placarded in a van you are, in fact, a Commercial Motor Vehicle, with all the restrictions of logs and scales. Rather than mess with trying to teach a bazillion, dumb as a brick, van drivers (you know, what with turnover being what it is) how to scale and log properly so as to not get fined or put OOS for logging violations, Panther just puts all placardable HAZMAT on a straight truck, since they log every day, anyway.

You do not need a HAZMAT endorsement on your CDL to carry non-placardable HAZMAT freight. You only need the HAZMAT endorsement for a van when the HAZMAT freight requires placarding, which is generally in amounts of 1001 pounds or more. If the freight doesn't require placarding in amounts of 1000 pounds or less, no HAZMAT endorsement is needed.

If the HAZMAT requires placarding in any amount at all, even one pound (like explosives, inhilation hazards, etc) then no amount of that type of HAZMAT can be put on a van, anyway, as that type of freight must be physically separated from the drivers, as in a detached box or a trailer.

So, a Passenger Endorsement on a Class C will satisfy the CDL requirements of Panther.

The advantages of having a Class C with the HAZMAT endorsement, versus a passenger endorsement, are many, however. When you study and pass the HAZMAT test, you will have learned about HAZMAT to the point where you will know what to do and what not to do when there is a HAZMAT situation that you might come upon or be involved with, it makes you more aware of what's around you since you'll know what's inside that placarded truck next to you on the highway. If you study for and pass the Passenger Endorsement, you will have learned nothing whatsoever that will help you in your job. There are a few shippers of HAZMAT freight that require a HAZMAT endorsement on the driver's CDL, even for non-HAZMAT shipments. Then there's also the advantage of not having to deal with questions from police, border guards or other authorities about why you have a passenger endorsement on your CDL when you're hauling freight.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I think it's just the cost and bother of going through another background check. Most of us have had to go through these checks before but now we get to pay for it. My finger prints are damaged so much that they would not go through the FBI check. I had to keep going back for another set to be taken after the third time they just did a name check on me and I passed. I guess I could have told them I was anyone and would have passed. I just don't understand why the government thinks a background check is going to keep a terrorist from hauling haz-mat.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Hay turtle, Just thought I would let you know that I am one of those bazillion bumb as a brick van drivers and I would like to point out to you that you don't know as much as you think you do. Case in point, some explosives can go on a cargo van, some Dangerous when wet can go on a cargo van. Maybe the next time you start spouting off like you know everything you will make sure you know what you are tolking about.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Morningstar: you wonder why some of us would rather not haul hazmat? I have a Class A with hazmat, but would rather not haul it, because both the regulations and the risks are greater, but the pay is the same. Why assume the increased duties and risks, for free?
Late4dinner: I wonder if you can cite the authority for your assertions re: hauling some placardable hazmat in a cargo van?