Report 5-hour energy drinks linked to several deaths

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Here is a link to an article about 5-Hour Drinks: 5-hour Energy CEO denies reports his drink linked to deaths, says

This may turn out to be nothing since it is "being investigated." Frank and I always keep these in the van and we use them when we are on overnight loads or loads we need to stay up and guard. Now I am thinking we need to stock up on them since they may disappear from the market. We have not had any health issues with them but we are both in excellent health.

I have been known to get some of that extra strong coffee at Pilot to drink with a 5-Hour Drink. These drinks give a quick boost of energy and will keep us going for about four hours at a time.

Have any of you experienced a problem with the drinks? If so, you might want to read the article and at least know what is being said about them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You should probably see this thread, if you haven't already.

I'm not sure I'd want to be so dependent on stuff like that that I'd want to stock up on them before they disappear from the market. If anything, supplements like that are designed to be a 'once in a while' thing rather than an everyday crutch necessary to perform your job four hours at a time. Something to maybe think about. Eating right and sleeping will also give you quite an energy boost.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Thanks Turtle, I missed that thread somehow. You might want to just combine my comments into the other thread so we won't have two threads on this.

I appreciate your comments/insight into this. I agree that resting and eating healthy are the most important things for our well being. In our case, we just keep the 5-Hour drinks handy for an occasional need. Still, it is something to consider and that was one reason I was seeking comments from other drivers about it. Thanks for your input.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I used to drink at least 2 liters of Diet Mt Dew a day. It was to the point where I didn't feel any kick one way or the other, and I could drink one right before bed and it wouldn't keep me awake. But now I'm down to 1-2 per week, drinking mostly water and some tea now and again. But energy supplements and energy drinks, for me personally, just has an unseemly feel to it, like I'm needing drugs to perform, like the truckers of old who were munching amphetamines and No Doze washed down with coffee just to keep driving like wired maniacs. :D

Plus, having high blood pressure, high blood sugar and high cholesterol (all under control, however), it just doesn't seem prudent to artificially kick my heart rate up beyond what it naturally wants to do.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Meanwhile.....thousands and thousands of deaths are linked to Adderal, Ritalin, Prozac,Zoloft ,ect.......but the FDA is looking out for you?

Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The FDA is funded by fees charged to drug companies. Seems a little ripe for conflict of interest, doesn't it?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it used to be they did actual clinical trials, in clinics, before drugs got approved. Over the last few years the clinical trials are de facto public clinical trials, and when they get too many negative results they recall the drugs, in effect ceasing the trials on drugs that should have never seen the light of day. But, it allows the drug companies to profit from the drug, or at least recover R&D costs, while the drug is in trials.

I learned a long time ago to not take a drug unless it's been on the market for about 5 years. By then it's a known entity.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just shake my head everytime i see a driver grab 3 or 4 bottles of the energy shots or drinks and tell myself NO not me ...When I m driving Hard its 1 bottle of Propel and 1 liter of diet dew .... Just had all my blood tests (yearly) done last week and was below the normal levels on every thing including chloestral ( which surprised me ) i started drinking the Propel (kiwi ) about a year ago and buy it by the 12 pack from walmart ... its pricey $ 6.48 plus tax but its good for my body and tastes great ...

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'll drink a 5 hour once in awhile if I am getting that sleepy feeling. Since I drink diet dew that doesn't happen to often.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I rarely use 5 Hour Energy Drinks. If a hand full of White Crosses and some Benzedrine doesn't kick start me, well then its time to slip into my 100% organic hemp jammies and go to bed and dream about tabletop fusion in reverse at 3X speed. No wonder I always wake up tired.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
. . . No wonder I always wake up tired.

3948709_460s.jpg

jt1980a

Active Expediter
I drank those energy drinks for about 12 years now (2 or 3 a day every day). Mostly Red Bull just because I liked the flavor, not really for the kick of energy as it seems to be a hard crash two hours later. But here is my 2 cents on the whole 5 hour energy/energy drink thing. Two weeks ago I was having bad chest pains that felt like my heart was having an incredibly hard time. A couple days later I had a constant paid all day long going through out my chest region and extending down my left arm and up into the left side of my neck and face. I stopped energy drinks all together. Now I feel alot better but I believe the main source of the problem is smoking. The smoking is another story all in itself but when combined with the multitude of B vitamins, caffine and sugar, it only adds to the whole problem.
After feeling a little better from no energy drinks and cutting smoking way back to almost quitting, I visited my doc and he was amazed that after 12 years of drinking that much energy drinks I was still alive. Apparently, emergency rooms across the nation are seeing an unbelievable amount of heart attack victims in their 20's. He stated that proof is yet to come but, energy drinks are the culprit of these numbers. Now, there is alot of junk out there that most of us eat or drink that probably contribute to this such as a diet consiting of "convient foods" such as fast food, chips, soda, etc. and again, Im sure these things only multiply the health related problems. However, after talking with people, Ive found the alligations on energy drinks to be a real life experience by many. Oh, and just to clarify, I'm 32, 5'10" and 150 lbs with absolutely no family medical history so Im not on the list for a heart attack anytime soon (except now perhaps).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Have you had an EKG done recently? If you do, you will be told that you've had a heart attack within the last few weeks, because you have.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't take any of the energy drinks/supplements, because they make me feel jittery - probably cause I drink Coke Zero, and the combo is an OD on caffeine for me. My younger daughter was sucking down a lot of Monster brand energy drinks, though, [her roomie is sponsored by the brand, and gets a ton of it free] until she wound up with kidney stones. Now she is much more careful about them - pain is a great wake up call, innit?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A couple days later I had a constant paid all day long going through out my chest region and extending down my left arm and up into the left side of my neck and face.

And, you didn't haul azz to the nearest emergency room?

Wow...

Energy drinks are major sponsors in pro motocross, with the riders drinking their water from a Monster can on the podium after a race. There's no way that they drink any significant amount of that crap, ever. But, the kids see it and think it's cool.

Water and coffee for me.

Last edited:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Jt1980a it's not the B vitamins that are bad for you it's all the other crap in the energy drinks. I had some health issues a couple of years ago and was B12 injections, Doctor said that any unused B12 just passes right out of you.
That being said I love my red bull but try and limit my intake bc I know it's not good for your body. It's amazing how many people assume it must be safe though. When my oldest was in wrestling parents let there kids suck them down before and during matches. I was called "uncool" by my son once bc I only let him have an energy vita water, no red bull or monster was allowed!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First off look at the sorce, The news division of the propaganda machine. Im sure its the usual case of the dumbasses that wont follow the dirrections that say drink one and they chug down a case. That is called natural selecton, weeding the garden of the, or as the saying that so fits, YOU CANT FIX STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, once again the nanny government will for the protection of the verry few regulate annother safe vitamin suplement and ruin it for the rest of us all.

Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I rarely use 5 Hour Energy Drinks. If a hand full of White Crosses and some Benzedrine doesn't kick start me, well then its time to slip into my 100% organic hemp jammies and go to bed and dream about tabletop fusion in reverse at 3X speed. No wonder I always wake up tired.

RITALIN!, RITALIN!, RITALIN!, RITALIN!, RITALIN!

Bob Wolf.