Report 5-hour energy drinks linked to several deaths

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
VitaminSupplement.jpg

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
First off look at the sorce, The news division of the propaganda machine. Im sure its the usual case of the dumbasses that wont follow the dirrections that say drink one and they chug down a case. That is called natural selecton, weeding the garden of the, or as the saying that so fits, YOU CANT FIX STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, once again the nanny government will for the protection of the verry few regulate annother safe vitamin suplement and ruin it for the rest of us all.

Bob Wolf

We just need to remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out! :p

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tried one of those energy drinks a few years back. It tasted awful and to be quite honest I don't think it did much. Nasty tasting stuff, can't imagine wanting another one.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I tried one of those energy drinks a few years back. It tasted awful and to be quite honest I don't think it did much. Nasty tasting stuff, can't imagine wanting another one.
I tried Red Bull a while back. I then learned why they call is Red Bull. It's because it tastes like the pee of a red bull.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A couple days later I had a constant pain all day long going through out my chest region and extending down my left arm and up into the left side of my neck and face.

EM-9809-2T.jpg

Next time that happens, baby, give me a call. My number is 9-1-1 ;)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Perhaps if cargo vans were regulated there would be no need to use redbull or 5 hour energy drinks to stay awake.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Perhaps if cargo vans were regulated there would be no need to use redbull or 5 hour energy drinks to stay awake.

Unfortunately van regulation is coming.

I agree with pandora. I posted on annother thread same subject the real deal.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have done some driving that was unsafe in my time. The problem with the vans is that it is hard to make money unless you drive a lot of miles. Some companies pay a higher rate but you still have to crank out the miles to make money. Regulation would be good. There are people who die in vans because they fall asleep behind the wheel. Also some of these shippers are insane with how fast they want these loads delivered and the type of miles they think a person can driver safely.

What is the real difference between a semi truck and a cargo van? Oh the semi truck kills more people is the reasoning behind why the vans should not be regulated. I think if the cargo vans were regulated and the rates got higher by weeding out some of the riff raff it would be a good thing. If vans are regulated then all of them junk trucks that cannot pass a DOT inspection will be gone! The drivers who cannot pass a DOT Physical will be gone, and those who cannot pass a hazmat background check will be gone. Then we can begin the discussion on newer vehicles and higher rates for cargo vans.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have done some driving that was unsafe in my time. The problem with the vans is that it is hard to make money unless you drive a lot of miles. Some companies pay a higher rate but you still have to crank out the miles to make money. Regulation would be good. There are people who die in vans because they fall asleep behind the wheel. Also some of these shippers are insane with how fast they want these loads delivered and the type of miles they think a person can driver safely.

What is the real difference between a semi truck and a cargo van? Oh the semi truck kills more people is the reasoning behind why the vans should not be regulated. I think if the cargo vans were regulated and the rates got higher by weeding out some of the riff raff it would be a good thing. If vans are regulated then all of them junk trucks that cannot pass a DOT inspection will be gone! The drivers who cannot pass a DOT Physical will be gone, and those who cannot pass a hazmat background check will be gone. Then we can begin the discussion on newer vehicles and higher rates for cargo vans.

Good grief. OK, first, if you want to make as much money in a cargo van that you can in a straight truck, then yes, you have to drive a lot of miles. But you don't have to drive them unsafely. In any case, the vast majority of expedite line haul lengths do not even present a situation where you have to drive tired, and those that do usually have time to get the necessary rest. The wacko carriers and cargo van drivers which are exceptions to the norm are no different than the wacko carriers and drivers of regulated vehicles who skirt the regulations they are supposed to drive under.

Second,
What is the real difference between a semi truck and a cargo van? Oh the semi truck kills more people is the reasoning behind why the vans should not be regulated.
The difference is that, but it's more than that. The DOT regulates heavy trucks and buses, and the transport of hazardous materials, because heavy trucks and buses and hazardous materials pose an unreasonable risk to the general public. Cargo vans do not. In fact, the commercial cargo van accident and casualty rate, according to the NHTSA, exactly mirrors that of the general public of passenger cars and light trucks.

"The drivers who cannot pass a DOT Physical will be gone, and those who cannot pass a hazmat background check will be gone."

They're already gone if they cannot pass a DOT physical. Few carriers allow drivers with or without a CDL to drive for them without passing a DOT physical. The insurance companies simply won't allow it.

Drivers of unregulated cargo vans who cannot pass a HAZMAT background check can't haul HAZMAT. Interestingly enough, drivers of regulated trucks who cannot pass a HAZMAT background check can't haul HAZMAT, either. I don't see very many van drivers or CMV drivers being "gone" because of that.

So, the only justification that can be given for cargo vans to be regulated is, and said in the most whiny, adolescent waaa, waaa, waaa voice you can imagine, "Well if I have to log and scale then they should toooooo!!!" And then stomp your foot real hard a couple of times to drive it home.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dont like saying no, turning down loads, and losing work anymore than, perhaps even less than you but, I have to and do often use the word NO. Wether in the truck or van, I WONT drive 20 hours strait, run over weight and play dodge the scales, wreck my vehical, blow an engine or transmission, get the speeding ticket, chance losing everything I own, or risk orphining my family just to make at best a couple hundred bucks after expenses. Ive had to make this clear to manny and will have to continue to make it clear to others. I dont care if its worth an extra fifty or a hundred bucks the answer is NO.
Regulations are like locks they keep the honest man honest. If a shipper, carrier or whoever is abusive or dishonest regulations will do nothing. The rest of the trucking industry is heavily regulated and there are still unreasonable, dishonest sippers, carriers, and load brokers. S/T and T/T are pushed hard and injured every day and some die. Thats how effective regulation works.

While regulations look good they are an oppertunity for more government invasion.

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When it gets to the point that Tinkerbelle is riding shotgun and giving directions to the next turn, it's way past time to stop and I don't care what you're driving. No load is going to do anybody any good if you're upside down and in flames in a ditch. When I get tired, I stop. Period.

Fortunately, the outfit I drive for has been real good about cutting enough slack so you don't have to kill yourself or somebody else to get the job done. Without government interference.

About hauling hazmat: I'm in no hurry to do that anyway. There just isn't enough money for the added risk. So, the government says I can't haul hazmat without a CDL with the appropriate endorsements. I say I don't want hazmat in the first place. So, where's the problem? I can't drive for certain carriers unless I have a CDL and hazmat endorsement--- OK, I guess I won't drive for those carriers.

About vehicle maintenance: I agree that vehicles need to be safely maintained. To that end, vehicle owners need to keep up on stuff, and companies we lease to need to pay enough so the vehicles can be maintained. Mechanics don't work on the cheap you know, and even if you do a lot of the labor yourself parts aren't being given away. Note that if vans become regulated you might have to forget about doing the work yourself, one of the regulations might be that you need a licensed mechanic to sign off on maintenance work--- especially for things like brakes, shocks and so on. So---- who's gonna pay for this????

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately van regulation is coming.

LOL... And just when will that be? When I bought my cargo van in Dec. of '98, there were people that told me I made a big mistake because regulation was right around the corner. It must be a real big corner. HOS has gone through quite a bit since then and there's been nary a whisper about cargo vans. Sure, it could happen someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also some of these shippers are insane with how fast they want these loads delivered and the type of miles they think a person can driver safely.

Responsible carriers are saying no to those loads and providing an alternative bid that's just a bit more sensible. I was with a carrier that took some of these loads. I didn't stay very long.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
About the 5-hour energy drinks--- Forget about it. It may give you a boost, but it's fake. If you're tired, pull over and nap for a bit. All the 5-hour energy drink will do is make a wide-awake tired person think he can do something he can't do.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I used to take a 30 minute nap in the seat and then slam an ice cold 5 hour energy drink and open up a can of starbucks iced coffee and run down the highway with the radio blasting. The joys of the good old days before this darn blood clot cut me down. I am all for regulating the vans now that I don't drive anymore! I think the sickness has gone to my head.

Any how - those energy drinks are only killing people who have underlying health conditions. If you have a weak heart or high blood pressure taking any type of stimulants is going to make you have a stroke! That is just common sense there.

And and as you all know this lifestyle on the road is not a lifestyle that promotes a healthy life. Who is gonna go into the gym aster driving 13 hours? When I was a truck driver and gone from home for 4 months at a time all I could do on my home time was sleep and get rested up. This job sucks a lot of life out of you hence the need for some of us to use energy drinks!

Last edited by a moderator: