Regrooving Tires

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Moose suggested having my drive tires regrooved. Who has gone that route in here? What was your experience with those tires? Was it worth the money? Is anyone aware of places in the Detroit/Toledo area that does this work? :confused:

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
my husband regrooves our tires quite often. It give you more tread and you don't have to replace your tires quite as fast.
He has his own tool and I don't know where it can be done at.

Monty

Expert Expediter
BUT ... you will find no, or few, commercial operations that will regroove them anymore.

A lot of private shops, like metro bus, etc will do their own.

The tire shops now tell me "regroovable" means to them "retreadable" :confused:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the casings are good why not go with recaps? Bandag has been in the retread business for years and can be found all across the country. Bandag: Dealer Locator

I run recaps on my lift axle. I am not sure about running them on my drive axle. When I ran for an owner he ran them. We had several "let go" Since I am in my own truck I have run virgin tires, no blow outs so far. He bought a set of Bandags at a Bell Tire in Toledo. They were on about a year when we lost the first one. I am a bit shaky on the idea of them.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Got mine on E-bay for $60.00. The big thing using them is don't overdue it because if you take to much rubber off then go trade for a new set they won't give you much because they need a certain amount of rubber for recapping. Also when going through a DOT check if they see a cord, your out of service.

tire regroover | eBay

One other thing. Make sure you have tires that you can re-groove, some brands don't recommend it.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Got mine on E-bay for $60.00. The big thing using them is don't overdue it because if you take to much rubber off then go trade for a new set they won't give you much because they need a certain amount of rubber for recapping. Also when going through a DOT check if they see a cord, your out of service.

tire regroover | eBay

One other thing. Make sure you have tires that you can re-groove, some brands don't recommend it.

Er I thought the regroovable tires, had regroovable marked on the tire sidewall ?

jimmy

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Regrooving tires, Don't be fooled by "regroovable" label on a tire

From 2006/ but information should still be valid.

Link is to article about tire regrooving.

Quote from article

"Although it's still fairly common in bus fleets, regrooving has basically vanished from the landscape of today's standard fleet operations for obvious reasons. Most importantly, once a tire is regrooved, its chances of being retreaded are significantly reduced. I won't even go into the challenges of preserving the 3/32-inch without the proper equipment. So fleets that want to save money by retreading their own casings rarely regroove their tires"

jimmy

moose

Veteran Expediter
O.K i'm in.
Joe ,hopefully you are still in Cal.,
i regrooved my tires in Eloy, A.Z, @ Exit 203.
so you might still make it.

here is MY 1st experience:
i regrooved 2 Super Single drive tires, about 6 months ago.
at that time they had 274,000 mil. on, and about 4/32" on the inners threads .
cost was 35$ a tire,
took about one Hour to remove, regroove and remount.
some places will take 4$ a line.
i hope the tech got a good life insurance,cause them tires had 120psi in them. i was watching from a safe 100 feet away.
finally traded in the 2 tires last month, and still got the 50$ discount for the trades in.
still had a good 4/32" all across but did not wanted to posh it into the annual inspection.
had 329,000 on them.

recently i learned that even if the side walls dose not say 'regroovable', them tires might still be regrooved. all good quality tires are, directionally tires cannot be regrooved.
must be a sells pitch,
if they put regroovable on the side of the tire, you might choose that tire over it's competition.
if they don't you might buy another new tire sooner, not knowing it can be regrooved.

it dose takes skills to regroove a tire, i was very impressed with the work being done, but will not try to do it myself.

with SS tires it is a no brainer, i will regroove again.
but i did not saved the expected Fuel millage do to the tires being smallers .
there is a noticeable larger contact with the road.
they looks like an abused donuts after being molested by Hommer .
i did not had the guts to overinflate, and it looks like the side walls where not as strong as new.
questions ?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i have researched regrooving tires and just did not like the idea for the reason of getting deeper into the bed of the tire. that was why i went with recaps. i have used them for 10 years. putting on my 3rd set today. i have never had one let go of the entire tread since using this brand. i have had an instance where i lost a 4" piece of one single tread after 325,000 mi. but no other problems from the retread process itself.

i use oliver retreads opposed to bandag. i had one set of bandag retreads [ the first set i ever purchased ] that i refunded after 30 days cause they were separating on 3 of the 4 tires. that was when i found this particular dealer i have been using every since. they do oliver retreads and from my experience have been a better product. 2 trucks almost a million miles all on recaps.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have to wonder if re-grooving commercial tires would lead to them breaking down or wearing down faster?

We have toured a bandag facility in Saint Louis and one of the items that was discussed was how much it costs the company to have a tire returned. We had our lift axle tires retreaded and we were pleased with the wear.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for all the input. We too run recaps on our lift axle. Still looking at them on the drive. Had so many problems before I have to think long an hard.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
the only other piece of advice i can give on retreads is that we practice [ per tire dealers advice ] putting them on in spring or fall when the temps are moderate so they acclimate to the hot or cold temps over a few months.