Refusing to cooperate with Border Patrol

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
That's not wrong... that was an outdated example.

What does the date have to do with it? If you want a more recent outrage, think of Kelo vs. New London, or Roe vs. Wade, or the decision that said it was flawed reasoning but it shouldn't be overturned because it's come to be viewed as a right.

All more modern, though that shouldn't matter to you, and all times when the Court was wrong.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Using analogous examples from history, as viewed through the eyes of current times, is invariably a straw man argument.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Using analogous examples from history, as viewed through the eyes of current times, is invariably a straw man argument.

Nope. There are examples of which that would be true, but some things are always wrong and always have been. That one views them through the eyes of 1000 years ago or 1000 years from now is irrelevant.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Nope. There are examples of which that would be true, but some things are always wrong and always have been. That one views them through the eyes of 1000 years ago or 1000 years from now is irrelevant.

What you said, basically, was that because the SC was wrong 170 yrs ago, in today's terms, they're wrong 10 years ago, in todays terms.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
What you said, basically, was that because the SC was wrong 170 yrs ago, in today's terms, they're wrong 10 years ago, in todays terms.
No, what I said was that they can be wrong. They're very fallible human beings like us, apparently even moreso. That they rule a certain thing does not make it right.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
. . . The reason these officials did not impede the movement of the citizens in this video was to their credit, they had no lawful authority to do anything otherwise.

In the video that I was watching, the officers did in fact "impede the movement" of these citizens by engaging in the repetitive and intimidating requests ( orders) to answer the questions or pull over and stop.
It appeared obvious ( to me ) that they truly believed that their authority extended beyond what the law allows for.
I give credit to the one officer who was astute enough to pick up on the game being played and simply said " move on " without engaging in a senseless argument.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
This guy has the biggest cajones ever, except for the Chinese tank guy.
Top DHS checkpoint refusals - YouTube

Couldn't stand to watch no more than 3 Minutes of this CRAP..........

Only Comment I can come up with is "Yes......America's Freedoms allow for anyone and everyone to be the biggest a-holes they can be when and where they want to be........."

But......as has been said many times before.........it doesn't really mean they have to be one.

Honestly.........I'd like for these people give up their American Citizenships and go become a Citizen in a Country like Iran....Sudan....Zimbabwe......Hell.......even down in Hugo Chavez's Venezula, and Pull stunts like these with their Border Patrol / Police Agencies. It would be Hoot and Annie to me......I'd LOVE to see those Videos that show the Outcome of an A-Hole being an A-hole to the wrong people..........

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Those were my thoughts. I have never had a problem at the check stations. They ask a few questions and send me on my way. I have never felt threatened.

If I find myself being falsely accused or detained, then I'll consider protecting my rights. Until then..I appreciate the fact that these guys are down there to protect our borders. Can you imagine what we would have in this country without the Border Patrol?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's my problem with some of them I've dealt with. I cross the border every load I do. Paid to be fingerprinted, interviewed by CBP on both US and Canadian side, installed a transponder so all the information pops up on their screen before I even stop at the booth...all in the order of compliance and "free" trade.
And yet some of these douchebags will still do everything they can to try and make me feel like a criminal, or the very least subhuman. Doesn't work though. Every time I drive away from dealing with one with that attitude I just laugh, because they're stuck in a booth smaller than a toilet inhaling diesel fumes while I'm off to my next adventure.
Now to see them rolling around 50 miles from the border with those same attitudes (the majority are decent though) gets old real quick.
This applies to US agents. I've never had this type of attitude from a Canadian agent, nor have I heard of it from American drivers. They also only seem to run into it trying to return to the US.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's my problem with some of them I've dealt with. I cross the border every load I do. Paid to be fingerprinted, interviewed by CBP on both US and Canadian side, installed a transponder so all the information pops up on their screen before I even stop at the booth...all in the order of compliance and "free" trade.
And yet some of these douchebags will still do everything they can to try and make me feel like a criminal, or the very least subhuman. Doesn't work though. Every time I drive away from dealing with one with that attitude I just laugh, because they're stuck in a booth smaller than a toilet inhaling diesel fumes while I'm off to my next adventure.
Now to see them rolling around 50 miles from the border with those same attitudes (the majority are decent though) gets old real quick.
This applies to US agents. I've never had this type of attitude from a Canadian agent, nor have I heard of it from American drivers. They also only seem to run into it trying to return to the US.

For the most part I have no problems on either side of the border. I must say, though, that I have had problems on BOTH sides of the border. That included one Canadian who went as far as to touch my nose with his and a US dude who kept putting his hand on his gun every time I asked, or answered, a question.

The vast majority, on both sides of the border, are at the very least professional and on rare occasion, some can even be friendly.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He was giving you an Eskimo kiss:p

LOL! I don't THINK so!

He was accusing me have having guns on my truck. He kept asking me where they were hidden. I of course did not have any on my truck. THEN he asked me how many guns I had at my HOME, in the US.

I did not answer that one. THAT is when he bumped up against me yelling that as soon as he found my guns he was going to throw me in jail. He did not find them, they were not there to find. I kept backing up and he kept moving towards me in a VERY threatening manner.

cubansammich

Not a Member
I think this exercise was an example of "win the battle, lose the war". Is this type of stop unconstitutional? Possibly. If one chooses to ruffle feathers to this extent too many times, It is quite possible if not likely, they could be harassed or worse at a later date. All license plates are photographed. A point has been proved but at what cost? These agents serve a need. The border is dangerous place. Ask Ramos or Campion. There is no room for pusyfooting around down there. Honestly, what is the big deal with saying you are U.S. citizen? Yeah, it's your constitutional right not to but what is the point?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The "big deal" is that their rights do not include requiring [by detaining] a reply, but few citizens appear to know that.
We don't need to exercise our rights at every opportunity, but if we don't even know what they are, what good are they?
Further, if the officials aren't aware of our rights, [as many seemed to be caught by surprise at the refusal to respond], what good are they doing?
I doubt I'd do it myself, but it is something that needed doing, IMO.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The other "big deal" is that none of those stops in the video were actually at the border.

cubansammich

Not a Member
The other "big deal" is that none of those stops in the video were actually at the border.

It was pointed out on one stop that they were at the 20 mile marker. The point is nearly all that traffic is coming from the border or across the border.

cubansammich

Not a Member
The "big deal" is that their rights do not include requiring [by detaining] a reply, but few citizens appear to know that.
We don't need to exercise our rights at every opportunity, but if we don't even know what they are, what good are they?
Further, if the officials aren't aware of our rights, [as many seemed to be caught by surprise at the refusal to respond], what good are they doing?
I doubt I'd do it myself, but it is something that needed doing, IMO.

"Ignorantia juris non excusat"... Ignorance excuses no one. It is the responsibility of all of us to know the law. Us and them. The Fourth Amendment is quite clear. It is in the Bill of Rights. It's fourth on the list. Only three other amendments ahead of it. it's easy to locate. It takes about 30 seconds to read it. If Kim Kardashian mentioned the Fourth Amendment I have to believe far more Americans would know about it. We get what we deserve in cases like this.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It was pointed out on one stop that they were at the 20 mile marker. The point is nearly all that traffic is coming from the border or across the border.
I've been stopped at those same checkpoints many, may times, never once having crossed the border. All I was doing was minding my own business and traveling freely in the interior of the country, as I have a right to do.

While I understand the desire and even the need for such checkpoints, I also understand that, beyond ascertaining that I'm a US citizen and that I don't have anyone traveling with me, anything else remains my business.