Reefer C/V?

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Anyone run a reefer cargo van? Are you able to get non reefer loads just like a regular cargo van? Do you feel that it decreases your down time and puts more in your pocket?

Thanks.

Robert

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
There are a few running around, mostly with FedEx..and most are all sprinters...

1) it is a niche market and not a big one..
2) most carriers don't even look for the freight
3) it is expensive and not a big return on investment
4) they are heavy and really reduce your ability to carry much other types of freight
5) from what I have seen it is a limited area that they cover geographically..

Now, i don't say these things from experience, just from what I have gathered from talking to a few of these guys on the road..and I can tell you they (3 of them) were all on the easy coast.....

Would i do it? , Nope...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well contrary to what everyone seems to think, they have been around for a long time - just not used in this niche market.

The ROI I think it not as good as say a box van. I understand there are only two companies using them, one has a great contract with two pharma companies and they have 7 of them running around.

There are limitations to them, mainly I understand with the "FedEx" system, they have limited sleeper room and limited cargo capacity.

Overall, with FedEx it seems to be a closed group for those fleet owners and special people.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I talked to a Sprinter reefer man with Fed Ex he said total cost with sleeper and reefer set up was $80.000

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
fed ex reefer cargo is mostly east coast based for the pharm companies. it is basically a sprinter with a sleeper. a very bare bones sleeper because it is supposed to be out and back frt not long weeks out. they can handle about 1500 lbs due to the special reefer units and insulation involved.
one driver we taled to from wisc but seen in ohio, said there is a fed owner with about 10 trucks that has the lions share of the ec pharm biz.

80 grand is what was quoted at expo 2 years ago. there might still be a few available at that price. call a recruiter.

of course you could also carry meat or flowers. make that well packaged meat. you don't want to carry hanging meat.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jack wrote:

a very bare bones sleeper

they can handle about 1500 lbs due to the special reefer units and insulation involved.

with only 1500 lbs of available payload, you are basically worthless to most carriers that want you for general freight, yea you will get loads, but you will be the last person called.

A bare bones sleeper...good luck with that....the longer you stay out, the more comfort you want...when I decided to do this, my comfort was my 1st concern...freight was 2nd....

I wouldn't touch this for anything...