Recruiting Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
The "Union Entitlement" mentality is all over this country in the last few years. Not just in the Expediting community. :rolleyes:

Over in Mansfield, Mo there is a little Steel plant. When work started to slow down the Goverment stepped in and said we'll pay you 80% of your pay per day if you would rather stay home two days a week. What do you think the workers chose.?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the day i can negotate my own contract...maybe a partnarship it will be....doubtable tho...very limited partnership at that....a carrier posts thier rates they get the wrath or praise of the membership.....the same as a sprinter owner, GM or Ford....how many ways to split a hair..just ask this forum a question or make a post...you'll find out...

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
wait 120+ days for pay and the carrier won't respond to calls,

One thing I don't understand is why people keep working after 3 weeks if they don't get paid, or after whatever period you were told you would be paid.

We should be treated as a business partner because that is exactly what we are, we are not employees, we are business owners working with another business and questioning the rate being paid is part of running a business.

Ok but if that carrier has other "business partners" that are willing to haul freight for cheap and they offer you cheap freight out of fairness to you, why get mad that they offer you low rates. Their other partners are willing to do it.

It works both ways. Thats why your not really partners, you have a business to business relationship where they largely dicate the terms, its not a true partnership. People need to stop thinking that way imo, yea you can negotiate some things but your not their partner, your merely one of dozens of contractors. "Partner" to me means some sort of equal, I don't view a carrier / operator relationship as anything near equal. But thats just me.

Camper

Not a Member
A good betting pool question: The final post tally of this thread....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
We all have choices to work where we want to work, so if ur not happy or I'm not happy we all can work elsewhere. PS, I have worked for LRT, got no complaints, got many loads and was paid on time, usually within 10 days, so it worked for me. Recently my van died and is being resurrected soon, and a new chapter begins.:D MY old Dodge van will most likely be put out to pasture due to old age and obsolesce.:(

paullud

Veteran Expediter
One thing I don't understand is why people keep working after 3 weeks if they don't get paid, or after whatever period you were told you would be paid.

Ok but if that carrier has other "business partners" that are willing to haul freight for cheap and they offer you cheap freight out of fairness to you, why get mad that they offer you low rates. Their other partners are willing to do it.

It works both ways. Thats why your not really partners, you have a business to business relationship where they largely dicate the terms, its not a true partnership. People need to stop thinking that way imo, yea you can negotiate some things but your not their partner, your merely one of dozens of contractors. "Partner" to me means some sort of equal, I don't view a carrier / operator relationship as anything near equal. But thats just me.

I understand your view but I think the failure to treat this as a business and not viewing yourself as a partner is a major issue for the industry. We need to act and treat ourselves as professionals so that companies view us as such.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
we are not partners we are not getting a % of all work done for a company....we are contractors given one job to do and asked to do it well. if we can't do it the carrier will move on to the next person simply as that.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
we are not partners we are not getting a % of all work done for a company....we are contractors given one job to do and asked to do it well. if we can't do it the carrier will move on to the next person simply as that.

Also, if you are leased onto a company that does not allow you to work with other companies, you are not a true independent contractor; you are almost an employee. You fly their decals, you run for only them, you have to go where they tell you to go, follow the rules they tell you to follow...etc. You are also not a partner because you do not share in the profits of the company.

Now, when you run for multiple carriers you are like a subcontractor working for multiple general contractors. The general contractor calls you with a job and asks you what you can do it for and what materials you have to get it done. Th.en once you are awarded the job, you are given a reasonable amount of time to complete the job, and you decide how you are going to get the job done within the time frame you were given to complete the job

Status
Not open for further replies.