Recovery Schmecovery

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Rlent they are not far off the mark to a degree. Since companies have cut back and are shipping fewer skids some local courier companies have scored 1-3 skid runs that the freight companies used to haul but for a little more money the customer is getting sameday delivery. Don't say no way as we're doing this now. A run to and from London was being done by a s/t and now since it's 2 skids or under a van or pickup are doing them. In this case it is still an expedite run but lower price as smaller vehicle and less weight.

So yes the larger trucks can in some cases complain but the van drivers would never say that they're stealing the work.
Rob

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
I still don't see the connection between the LTL world and ours...In fact loads from these companies have been on the increase as they try to out do each other in next day delivery and contract it out to us....
Business is up about 30% this month...:D

Simply put - in general terms, LTL (Less Than Load) means ---- if there is room on the back of a 28', 48' or 53' trailer that happens to be going in the general direction of a 1 to 24 skid "expedite" load, they (the carrier) will throw it in the trailer as "LTL"..........or worse yet, it can go on a plane as "air freight" for a "per pound" rate that often equates to an even cheaper rate than LTL - air freight usually charges pennies on the dollar compared to what even a cargo van would need to haul the same load for.

We see it first hand on literally thousands of expedite load offers every day, all day long - and we do everything we can to educate our drivers and keep them appraised of the situation as it happens (neither of us wants to hear the reality - but for warned is for armed) - so with our help, they have the tools necessary to make the smartest decisions possible on most load offers - which translates into profitable revenue for us both!

As General Manager of a small expedite carrier, I can say without hesitation that the bigger the carrier, the more power they have to set the rate............to date, the biggies have driven rates to where they are now, iow, TOO FRIGGEN LOW!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I have zero clue - but fwiw, I think we are in the "eye of the storm" and only those who operate smart - those who understand this market - will survive the coming resurgence of the storm - and survival here means the land of milk and honey once the sun starts shining again in a year or so (hopefully sooner!).........after all, with near zero inventory throughout the country, once "the recovery" REALLY begins, there will be a HUGE shortage of expediters!!!!!!!

Here's another link designed to enlighten: Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Trucks Sit Idle; Rail Traffic Horrific

To all expediters everywhere rolling or sitting - be safe out there!!!!!

Steve

Last edited:

loner1

Seasoned Expediter
I still don't see the connection between the LTL world and ours...In fact loads from these companies have been on the increase as they try to out do each other in next day delivery and contract it out to us....
Business is up about 30% this month...:D

I would agree. I was a Premium Transportation Coordinator for an "NLM" type of company and one of the largest customers was YRC. As they strive to cut costs on their LTL and linehaul moves they utilize expedite more frequently.

Regardless though, I hope we are at the bottom of the fallout.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What I wanna know is, if LTL means "Less Than Load", then what does TL mean?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Truck load? as in FTL...full truck load?:eek:
Yeah, I know. It was rhetorical.

FTL = Full Truck Load
LTL = Less-than Truck Load

FTL was shortened out of redundancy and other reasons to
TL= Truckload

I was just taking a cheap shot at someone who should certainly know that LTL doesn't stand for Less Than Load, for if it did, then TL would stand for Than Load. :D

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Simply put - in general terms, LTL (Less Than Load) means ---- if there is room on the back of a 28', 48' or 53' trailer that happens to be going in the general direction of a 1 to 24 skid "expedite" load, they (the carrier) will throw it in the trailer as "LTL"..........or worse yet, it can go on a plane as "air freight" for a "per pound" rate that often equates to an even cheaper rate than LTL - air freight usually charges pennies on the dollar compared to what even a cargo van would need to haul the same load for.

We see it first hand on literally thousands of expedite load offers every day, all day long - and we do everything we can to educate our drivers and keep them appraised of the situation as it happens (neither of us wants to hear the reality - but for warned is for armed) - so with our help, they have the tools necessary to make the smartest decisions possible on most load offers - which translates into profitable revenue for us both!

As General Manager of a small expedite carrier, I can say without hesitation that the bigger the carrier, the more power they have to set the rate............to date, the biggies have driven rates to where they are now, iow, TOO FRIGGEN LOW!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I have zero clue - but fwiw, I think we are in the "eye of the storm" and only those who operate smart - those who understand this market - will survive the coming resurgence of the storm - and survival here means the land of milk and honey once the sun starts shining again in a year or so (hopefully sooner!).........after all, with near zero inventory throughout the country, once "the recovery" REALLY begins, there will be a HUGE shortage of expediters!!!!!!!

Here's another link designed to enlighten: Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Trucks Sit Idle; Rail Traffic Horrific

To all expediters everywhere rolling or sitting - be safe out there!!!!!

Steve

Well Steve, I truly hope y'all git together a crew that has the ability to bump the extra dock to pick up and (deliver) as promised that extra grand (or so) in buks. There are so many that can't see the forest for the trees. There are [have been] many opportunitys that were jes too much. Hope there are a couple/few waking up!!

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i would say things are not so good TTX has around 250 miles of well cars'maybe more going north, sitting on the rail that runs from SLC up to Twin Falls.Thats alot of rolling stock that is not moving.Almost makes a person ill looking at them all.

It's every bit of 250 miles some place there are none but then other places they have the side tracks full to it might actually be longer than 250 miles of empty well cars and they are all well cars. no conexes just the cars

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Add to that another 150 -200or so miles along MT-200 plus gods knows how many in ND and into MN and we are talking 500(possably close to 1000) miles of rolling stock that is not rolling, TTX is owned by most of the railroads so if they have cars sitting still it's not just one company it's all of them.