Recent movers to LandStar....

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
A few O/O have moved recently to LandStar, are you satellite tracked, was satellite tracking optional, what are your cost if tracking was required? Are log books in use?

Monty

Expert Expediter
QC is required ..... $25.00 a month, so the various agents can find you ... are we tracked. Not really, unless we have a FEDEX load on ... those folks are a pain in the butt!

Senario goes like this ..... "I see from the QC you are near xxxxx, I have a load 35 miles away going to xxxx. It is xxxx miles, pays xxxx dollars and needs to be there at 7am. Are you interested, and can you make delivery time?"

"Yes, I can, and I will. Send the info."

"On the way"

In a couple of minutes the QC beeps .... get your load information from it, make the pick up, enter the information on the QC and start trucking.

When you deliver, enter that information. Run is complete.

What you do after delivery is entirely your choice. Sit, move, go out of service .. your call, and your expense.

I don't do logs, because I am a CV. Depending on the DOT requirements, paper logs are submitted. Some of the "troublemakers" have been mandated for electronic logs, as are most AA&E units.( As I understand it.)

I'm sure our most recent Fedex convert can answer that with more accuracy than I.(AA&E is also QC tracked, to the best of my knowledge)

If you have a larger unit, you are free to choose from thousands of loads on the load board from the sister companies at Landstar. Ranger, Inway. As a van, that is a useless proposition.

However, I do have the ability to search available trucks in any specified area, to see if relocating there is a good decision, I can also see history of loads in the last 30 days from that area.

As an example, I am in Texarkana tonight. The search reveals there is seldom freight from this area, and I looked at Nashville, 475 miles away. They have loaded 60 van loads there the past 30 days. And there are only 2 vans currently available for loads.

In the morning, for one tank of fuel, I will make a Sunday drive over there, hopefully to load on Monday.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A few O/O have moved recently to LandStar, are you satellite tracked, was satellite tracking optional, what are your cost if tracking was required? Are log books in use?

If by satellite tracked you mean having a Qualcomm unit in your truck, the answer is yes. Diane and I signed on with Landstar Express America at the end of June and one of the first things they did was install a Qualcomm unit in our straight truck. Qualcomm units are required in all trucks at Landstar Express America.

Other Landstar divisions (Ranger, Inway, etc.) have different rules but I am not familiar with them. I have met several BCOs (Landstar's name for contractors) who run with the other divisions and do not have Qualcomm units in their big-rigs. What the future holds for them, I do not know.

Logging at Landstar is required wherever it is required by law. At Landstar Express America (Landstar's expedite division) it takes different forms. This is a bit up in the air right now and I do not know the exact details and timing. In general:

BCOs who have a history of log book violations are required to have an EOBR Qualcomm unit in their trucks. BCOs who want EOBRs in their trucks can elect to have them. BCOs who don't have a history of log book violations and don't want EOBRs in their trucks can choose to have a Qualcomm unit that does not do electronic logging and does not interface with the truck's ECM (electronic control module).

These choices were only recently developed as a matter of policy and they are now being rolled out. Once Diane and I made our choice (paper logs), we stopped looking into this. BCOs who signed on with Landstar more recently may be able to provide additional and more timely information.

As I said, these Qualcomm and logging choices are a bit up in the air right now. People for whom this is an immediate issue because they are contemplating a move are advised to get their information directly from the company.

Last edited:

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
If by satellite tracked you mean having a Qualcomm unit in your truck, the answer is yes. Diane and I signed on with Landstar Express America at the end of June and one of the first things they did was install a Qualcomm unit in our straight truck. Qualcomm units are required in all trucks at Landstar Express America.

Other Landstar divisions (Ranger, Inway, etc.) have different rules but I am not familiar with them. I have met several BCOs (Landstar's name for contractors) who run with the other divisions and do not have Qualcomm units in their big-rigs. What the future holds for them, I do not know.

Logging at Landstar is required wherever it is required by law. At Landstar Express America (Landstar's expedite division) it takes different forms. This is a bit up in the air right now and I do not know the exact details and timing. In general:

BCOs who have a history of log book violations are required to have an EOBR Qualcomm unit in their trucks. BCOs who want EOBRs in their trucks can elect to have them. BCOs who don't have a history of log book violations and don't want EOBRs in their trucks can choose to have a Qualcomm unit that does not do electronic logging and does not interface with the truck's ECM (electronic control module).

These choices were only recently developed as a matter of policy and they are now being rolled out. Once Diane and I made our choice (paper logs), we stopped looking into this. BCOs who signed on with Landstar more recently may be able to provide additional and more timely information.

As I said, these Qualcomm and logging choices are a bit up in the air right now. People for whom this is an immediate issue because they are contemplating a move are advised to get their information directly from the company.

For the trucks (BCOs as you refer) that qualifies for paper logbooks or electronic logs as a choice is wonderful. It shows a degree of trust by LandStar of their drivers that is quickly disappearing from the trucking industry.

We intend to continue the use of logbooks for as long as possible. As best as we can predicate that’s five years from the day it’s a published as rule in the Federal Register. As huge enthusiasts of modern technology for efficiency in our trucking business, electronic logging, in our view is too much big brother. Are view is certainly not new but we may differ in that we believe paper logging should be a federally mandated option for drivers. Even at companies that at this time have transitioned to all paperless logs.

LandStar seems to have a view of fair and equal treatment by providing choice over how fast can we dash into the future.

The Quallcomm satellites that are at the core of much of the electronic logging are not failure proof and shouldn’t it be FMCSA mandated that drivers carry and know how to use paper logs.

Paper logs are cheap, we think. The other guys say electronic logging is a huge saving, sure they do, and the O/O is paying the bill.

I like what LandStar is doing.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
For the trucks (BCOs as you refer) that qualifies for paper logbooks or electronic logs as a choice is wonderful. It shows a degree of trust by LandStar of their drivers that is quickly disappearing from the trucking industry.

We intend to continue the use of logbooks for as long as possible. As best as we can predicate that’s five years from the day it’s a published as rule in the Federal Register. As huge enthusiasts of modern technology for efficiency in our trucking business, electronic logging, in our view is too much big brother. Are view is certainly not new but we may differ in that we believe paper logging should be a federally mandated option for drivers. Even at companies that at this time have transitioned to all paperless logs.

LandStar seems to have a view of fair and equal treatment by providing choice over how fast can we dash into the future.

The Quallcomm satellites that are at the core of much of the electronic logging are not failure proof and shouldn’t it be FMCSA mandated that drivers carry and know how to use paper logs.

Paper logs are cheap, we think. The other guys say electronic logging is a huge saving, sure they do, and the O/O is paying the bill.

I like what LandStar is doing.

Electronic logging is great and is done by the minute which saves time IMO. All carriers will have to go paperless logs by January 2013 or 2014 as I don't remember, but it's coming. Most QC already are plugged into the motor of the truck and tells everything the trucks does, the speed, mileage, MPG the truck gets and much more.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
as of a few weeks ago, the judge in the case filed against mandated EOBR use found for the industry and struck down the mandate. the news article is available at landlinenow.com last week a letter was sent to the white house by the republican side and endorsed by john boehner asking to stop or limit the hours of service change. there is also a recent push to stop the cross border program due to the FMCSA not following the rules set forth in the program. hopefully its not as cut an dried as we thought. maybe there is hope yet.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well that's all good info and nothing new but the thing that isn't mentioned and should be is if you are used to the "line 5" option - off duty driving - it is not available to those who use paper logs, period.

However with the EOBR unit installed, it is.

Now with that said, there is a point to be made about how the EOBRs will actually help you with the multiple agent setup. If you use it, it will tell you exactly what you can do and you can tell the agent "nope, no can do because of hours". They can't talk you into taking the load and then complain after you are late or have to stop to reset your hours.

On the other hand, LS is actually a stickler on log mistakes, really are. They compare the Qaulcomm locations and stops with the logs to see if they match, if they don't, you get a nasty gram in the mail or if it is really bad, you get the call and put out of service. Some who are consistent offenders are told to work elsewhere without notice. They are concerned about their safety numbers and the safety of the drivers and others around them.

I use computerized logs, with a log book as a backup. I am careful but if I have to have an EOBR, then I guess I will deal with it.

As for big brother, that's a joke, they are already there with the log book.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Electronic logging is great and is done by the minute which saves time IMO. All carriers will have to go paperless logs by January 2013 or 2014 as I don't remember, but it's coming. Most QC already are plugged into the motor of the truck and tells everything the trucks does, the speed, mileage, MPG the truck gets and much more.

Not good information Bruno you must have missed this headline.

Truckers triumph. EOBRs are O-U-T.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
On the other hand, LS is actually a stickler on log mistakes, really are. They compare the Qaulcomm locations and stops with the logs to see if they match, if they don't, you get a nasty gram in the mail or if it is really bad, you get the call and put out of service. Some who are consistent offenders are told to work elsewhere without notice. They are concerned about their safety numbers and the safety of the drivers and others around them.

We are friends with a guy that runs in a small division of Landstar and their trailers are tracked as they do not have QC in the truck. A couple of these guys were real outlaws and their leases were terminated due to the tracking on the trailers. From what I understand they had been warned and did not heed the warning and the next time was find a new company.

We have always admired Landstar for many of their policies.

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
So what about FMCSA mandating for (you) drivers to have an option, your choice of either electronic logs or paper logging?

Greg you ought to be for it, with all the butt kissing government requires you to perform, why not have a little choice as to which butt cheek you kiss, left for electronic logging and right for paper logs.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Now with that said, there is a point to be made about how the EOBRs will actually help you with the multiple agent setup. If you use it, it will tell you exactly what you can do and you can tell the agent "nope, no can do because of hours". They can't talk you into taking the load and then complain after you are late or have to stop to reset your hours. .

Or in other words, the agent will skip a truck over, if the team do not have AMPLE time to complete a run.
why run a logbook, if the carrier can run it for you, and make business decision in your behalf.
i do not see how Electronic logs can increase load opportunity.
despite what recruiters will whisper.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So what about FMCSA mandating for (you) drivers to have an option, your choice of either electronic logs or paper logging?

Well logging is the least of the issues we face, but we should have a choice unless we are crap drivers who can't drive in the first place and there are a lot of them around.

Greg you ought to be for it, with all the butt kissing government requires you to perform, why not have a little choice as to which butt cheek you kiss, left for electronic logging and right for paper logs.

Well I do have a choice but it is not a big deal compared to other things that are more important. Many cry about this but accept those other things without much of a complaint. As one of the issues with the NTSB's report about the truck/van accident where a few people got killed, everyone focused on the cell phone/texting crap but seemed to ignore the 4 hours sleep. Maybe an EOBR would have forced the driver off the road prior to this accident or discouraged him from lying about his sleep. Don't know, but I do know that the EOBR is the least of my worries - medical privacy is the most intrusive issue I have and you should be right there with me. By just forcing us to go through tests that do not prove anything or making us report usage of medical devices - all because an cottage industry has found a new captive source of revenue, our rights are trashed.

Or in other words, the agent will skip a truck over, if the team do not have AMPLE time to complete a run.

Not really, the Agent can't see the time you have left on the log, they just do not have that capability. BUT The EOBR does report back to the company which discourages you from driving. Remember the important thing about Landstar which makes it a great place is the driver has control, not the agent and the driver can negotiate the work without worry about being penaltize by the company for not taking the load.

why run a logbook, if the carrier can run it for you, and make business decision in your behalf.

I don't know, maybe because it is the law?

i do not see how Electronic logs can increase load opportunity.
despite what recruiters will whisper.

Well here is the thing, Bruno (dave) mentioned it, instead of having to deal with the 15 minute block of time, you are now dealing with a single minute block of time. So instead of me showing I an on duty at 7am, driving at 7:15 and then on duty for my pickup at 7:30, I can now show I am on duty at 7am, driving at 7:07 and on duty for my pickup at 7:10. giving me more time on the clock to drive. Make sense?

When Bruno (dave) explained that to me, I wasn't all that sure about it until I had an EOBR in my truck to play with - nope not a LS one. I got to see it side by side with my "paper/computer" log and I would have had more drive time on the clock than I would have using the "paper/computer" log.

Monty

Expert Expediter
No fine line here .....

Unlike Fedex Ground, YOU have the ability to refuse anything, and there are no penalties.

And NO agent will ask, or demand, you take a load you can not safely, or legally, deliver.

Even those of us in the vans, who do not log, are asked, "Can you make this delivery on time"? No matter the mileage involved.

And after that, if you find you over loaded yer butt, they still insist if you need an enroute nap to be safe, then do so! Just keep them updated on your new ETA.

Of course, if you are continually unable to manage your time, and ability, to make on time deliveries, the agent will simply stop using you.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Those are all great points, but I have to add something else that is triggered by this comment;

"Of course, if you are continually unable to manage your time, and ability, to make on time deliveries, the agent will simply stop using you."

Many drivers are incapable of adding two plus two in this business and can't make a proper judgment call. So having either a EOBR or a computerized log system allows them to make a proper determination of what hours they can drive and can't drive. I have one mouse click to tell me what I have left for that day but with a paper log it seems there is thinking involved. By the way, I'm more than capible of adding two and two but I use the tools I have to make the best decisions for my business - computerized logs are one of those tools.

I've run into solos who can't get the idea that they are in charge and a number of them complain how hard the company is on them - demanding that they take something that they can't.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Of course I have no logging requirements with the van, but while I was still driving the semi I used DDL ..... nice program ..... made everything nice and neat .... and no HOS violations.

And it was WONDERFUL for figuring Canadian HOS rules too!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I like my electronic log now that I am used to it.
Given a choice I would chose it over a paper log.
Just my opinion.:cool:

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
Many drivers are incapable of adding two plus two in this business and can't make a proper judgment call. So having either a EOBR or a computerized log system allows them to make a proper determination of what hours they can drive and can't drive. I have one mouse click to tell me what I have left for that day but with a paper log it seems there is thinking involved. By the way, I'm more than capible of adding two and two but I use the tools I have to make the best decisions for my business - computerized logs are one of those tools.

Greg there is another way of making that "proper judgment call" over having an EOBR or a computerized log system, maybe even better because you get instant quotes for load offers. We make bids and answer calls for rate quotes every weekday. We provide those quotes in seconds to a few moments through use of mapping software that is available to any driver that either needs or wants to know how many hours needed to drive a load, including deadhead or no DH. Bid/rate amounts are calculated at the same time as hours to drive the load, route is also displayed and it installs on your computer for a onetime cost of less than 200 bucks, simple enough.