rear suspension upgrade for cv

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
1300 lbs at the rear makes the ol ford 138" wb squat quite a bit.
looking on some discussion about the merits of adding one of the following
1. air bags
2. rv shocks
3. helper spring
4. extra leaf spring.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i know with air bags i can add a compressor to automatically inflate to level. can that also be done to air shocks? my only experience with air shocks was on a 67 galaxie a long time ago.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
Yes. I saw a van for sell at Expo last year that had an air shock system. It was an 03 model. Come to think of it I have not seen them in quite a while. Don't know if the are still on the market. Jerry Lee

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Have you looked at the Work-Rite Load Assist.

Your van will ride normally without a load.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I added extra leafs to my rear springs on a 1999 F250 Super Duty. With out a goose neck or bumper stock trailer the ride is shall I say less then smooth.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I recommend air bags, Air shocks will change the ride and adding leaves will be a pia because of the downtime involved.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I don't know about "down time" Springfield Brake in Springfield, Mo. who I would NEVER RECOMEND:mad: to anyone. Had the original springs off, new leafs (2) on each side and back on my rig in 90 minutes.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well there you go Jack, take a trip down yonder and get them done there - I will next time. I had to drop my van off, it took all day because they were booked and then had to bring it back because the springs didn't settle right.

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter
Take a look at Timbrens. A lot less worry about air compressors air lines etc. Easy install too. Should straighten out the squat for you.

Jim

guido4475

Not a Member
I have the Air-Lift air-assist air bag system with the optional compressor and love it.Ride is great.Not that difficult to install.Well worth the money.