Re: Multiple memberships

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok I'll take the first swing....

If all is true of been whats posted lately this has gotten to the point of stupid....I am sure I am not the only one that it is beyond any humor. I find it degrades from the quality of the site.

I regard it as childish and I am tired of it....I am sure I am not alone in this matter.

I think its time to get out the ole rooter router and flush out the sewage!! :)

Last edited:

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Ok I'll take the first swing....

If all is true of been whats posted lately this has gotten to the point of stupid....I am sure I am not the only one that it is beyond any humor. I find it degrades from the quality of the site.

I regard it as childish and I am tired of it....I am sure I am not alone in this matter.

I think its time to get out the ole rooter router and flush out the sewage!! :)

Handing you the plunger..yep..it is getting kinda crowded in the crapper.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I agree, with just one exception: folks who are concerned about a backlash from their carrier [remember RoadHooligan getting terminated?] should be able to request permission from Admin to post under an alternate name. Anyone and everyone else should be prohibited from doing so.
I accept people's word as truth until proven otherwise, and I don't care for the deception of multiple usernames - it's just wrong, IMO.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
We are all subject to backlash from our carriers. It goes with the territory of participating in a public forum. There cannot be exceptions for any person to hide behind multiple usernames. It gives them wide berth to create all kinds of mischief.

Duplicity and deceit are the calling cards of mischiefmakers. Valid ideas and opinions will stand on their own merit. Creating a house of mirrors through such ploys as multiple usernames only undermines the credibility of public forums such as EO.

Creating special rights and special privileges for special people is just plain wrong. Everyone could play the victim under that scenario. Anything other than one username per member creates chaos.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We are all subject to backlash from our carriers. It goes with the territory of participating in a public forum. There cannot be exceptions for any person to hide behind multiple usernames. It gives them wide berth to create all kinds of mischief.

Duplicity and deceit are the calling cards of mischiefmakers. Valid ideas and opinions will stand on their own merit. Creating a house of mirrors through such ploys as multiple usernames only undermines the credibility of public forums such as EO.

Creating special rights and special privileges for special people is just plain wrong. Everyone could play the victim under that scenario. Anything other than one username per member creates chaos.

At least we agree on this subject...without the confusion..sometimes I have a problem from mind to fingers to typing...it doesn't come out the same way....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't agree with allowing anyone multiple identities. It gives too much leeway to stretch things and to post incorrect information for spite.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't like the idea of multiple memberships, except for maybe what Cheri said. I know I could never use one. I have enough trouble keeping up with one me let alone extras!!! :rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There should never be an exception. If you belong to a carrier who views your comments as a problem, then you are not an independent contractor, you are an employee.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One screen name only! No exceptions. What someone says behind a shield of anonimity has no credibility anyway.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
hmmm 8 in agreement....surprised there isn't more comments...maybe all the rest have more then one username?

I have one from about 5 years ago Capt Canuck...but I can't even remember the password its been so long...

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
There should never be an exception. If you belong to a carrier who views your comments as a problem, then you are not an independent contractor, you are an employee.

While that may be true, the reality is that real people have had their contracts terminated, as well as been admonished by their carriers for things said on here. Even you, yourself, Greg, have stated you were called by a previous carrier for comments made on here. You can be independent contractors all you like, but you are still not free to post truths on here, free of consequences.

Sometimes things need to be said in the best interests of expediters, and they aren't always in agreement with what the carriers/advertisers would like to hear. People should be able to speak freely without worrying about their income and opportunities being affected.

Personally I believe the admins should do a big housecleaning, getting rid of dead wood (maybe anyone with over 30 posts who hasn't posted in a two years, anyone with under 30 posts who hasn't posted in one year?), as well as dual posters, unless the admins, in their sole discretion, are aware of a valid reason why any one presence should have 2 identities.

I tried to create a second identity for my other half, but somehow I wasn't able to do that, and I didn't pursue it.

PS Hey Lawrence, forgive me if this is a dumb question, I don't know how this stuff works, but would that help save some bandwidth if you hauled away the debris? :D

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
My 'general forum user' opinion: This is a public forum. If you have a personal beef with your employer, or owner, or company, or whatever you wish to call it, this is not the place. There are many ways to handle a situation that are better than bad-mouthing someone on the internet.

My 'EO web support personnel' opinion: Like Layout said, I have enough trouble keeping track of one of each of you, much less when everyone starts cloning themselves so they can spout 'truth' under the guise of anonymity. Truth can be relative, after all.

Finally, it is in the Terms of Use Agreement that you will have only one account, and keep it current with legitimate contact info. Multiple anonymous accounts violates both aspects of that part of the TOUA.

pjjj, Lawrence may have a different solution, but deleting non-posters will not work. The forums and the classifieds are linked: you only have to register in one place to be registered for both. So there are many people who are active on the site, but never post on the forums.

And FYI, if anyone ever forgets a password or your account 'freezes up', please DON'T just register for a new account... click the appropriate link. I can resurrect almost any account!

:cool:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
hmmm 8 in agreement....surprised there isn't more comments...maybe all the rest have more then one username?

I have one from about 5 years ago Capt Canuck...but I can't even remember the password its been so long...

i liked the cc avavtar better than the cool kitty. you do mean trevor linden, right?--he smiled knowingly

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
If you have a personal beef with your employer, or owner, or company, or whatever you wish to call it, this is not the place. There are many ways to handle a situation that are better than bad-mouthing someone on the internet.

I agree, however, there are other times when a person may not necessarily want to bash anyone/anything, or spew their own personal and perhaps mistaken 'truths'. Someone may want to seek or give information on a specific issue, and because people already know who they're with, they are unable to share openly without inadvertently naming a carrier. For example, when we were new and with a certain carrier, I had certain questions about how things work everywhere else. I pointed out how certain things worked at our carrier, and I felt really awkward doing so. I can imagine I wouldn't have had that opportunity if my name, carrier, truck number, were already known. And the feedback we got from other members was really appreciated. I just hate to think of someone sitting in the dark, afraid to bring something up or ask a question or make a comment because of their fears of reprisal. Same for if there might be a company offering supplies/services to expediters who is known to a bunch of us to be consistently selling inferior products/services, it would be useful for other expediters to know about this before also being taken in by said company. This is a great place to share such information, and people would be more apt to share their experiences if it was anonymous.

I understand completely the catch 22 here, and potential implications, and I don't know what the answer is, just saying it would be good to have a place where someone could even anonymously pen a question and get equally anonymous advice.

chillout said:
pjjj, Lawrence may have a different solution, but deleting non-posters will not work. The forums and the classifieds are linked: you only have to register in one place to be registered for both. So there are many people who are active on the site, but never post on the forums.

Yes, you're right. So what about discarding the deadwood who haven't opened up their account or had any 'activity' in a set amount of time?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand completely the catch 22 here, and potential implications, and I don't know what the answer is, just saying it would be good to have a place where someone could even anonymously pen a question and get equally anonymous advice.

The problem I see with that is with anonymity comes inaccuracy. Under the cloak of invisibility users will exaggerate and lie about things, post erroneous comments about things they know nothing about and have no experience with, lie blatantly as a reprisal for real or imagined wrongs, etc..

Yes, you're right. So what about discarding the deadwood who haven't opened up their account or had any 'activity' in a set amount of time?

As long as there's plenty of room for them in the virtual cabinet does it matter if a bunch of the 'membership cards' have zero activity?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pjjj..don't sweat it...if the EO staff thought it was a problem they'd do something about it....

My original point is whats happening in the soapbox right now...its a mess or so it seems...

It gets hectic enough in there as ourselves without all the supposed doubles and triples....:(

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The 'mess' on the Soapbox just goes with the territory, but my point is what Pjjjj said [more lucidly than I did, as usual].
I know of several posters who have been made aware of their carrier's displeasure with posts here, and having read the posts, I can say that they were NOT bashing the carrier, either. Greg is right, that it shouldn't happen, but in reality, it does: folks are afraid to risk their livelihood by speaking up, and that is very wrong.
Except for that possibility, I see no good reason to create a second [or third, or more] persona, and would be happy to see them exposed for the deception.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
As we all know when someone gripes about their carrier it is usually on a case by case basis..we don't see the small details...that could make a BIG difference....
Knowing most carriers don't respond to their accusations it is a free for all of rumor and speculation. I don't give those threads a second thought. I'd like to see no responses and let it drop off the bottom...

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
ldb said:
The problem I see with that is with anonymity comes inaccuracy. Under the cloak of invisibility users will exaggerate and lie about things, post erroneous comments about things they know nothing about and have no experience with, lie blatantly as a reprisal for real or imagined wrongs, etc..

Ya I guess so? Being a moderator, I guess you would know better than I, the antics people will engage in. It doesn't say much about human nature, does it?

As long as there's plenty of room for them in the virtual cabinet does it matter if a bunch of the 'membership cards' have zero activity?

For one, it would get rid of duplicates which were made in error, or were created to log in when users weren't able to access their usual account for whatever reason. For two, it would free up probably a lot of usernames, which are currently being taken, some of them good ones :) . For three it would shed a more reasonable light on how many members this site actually has.

But really, it doesn't matter. I'm more interested in deleting the add-on posters which were created by some who need to be perceived as having validation for their points. And ya, that'd be fitting if you would 'out' them too while you're at it. It would certainly give us something to chuckle about during these slower times :D

Last edited: