rattle. rap...and drip drip drip goes the water...

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
It's a sun shiny beautiful summer day!!
We were in my FL-80 with a CAT 3126, loaded on our way to Michigan from Del Rio, Texas. A nice light, somewhat financially sustaining load. Cruzing I-30 east at the 135mm in Texas. It's 100 degrees plus outside. All of a sudden on a short, shallow grade........a brief, muffled rattle(like a babys rattle). Am I hearing things? Yup must be. Must have been something causing a slight, yet attention grabbing vibration in the steering? Flat road again, no rattle. Another short grade coming up, hmm, will I hear it again? Hope not! Wishful thinking? Maybe!

Rattle....RATTLE....Clunk. OH CRAP! Shut her down quick! Dropped the clutch, threw on the 4 ways, coasted up the 136 exit ramp. No shoulder, but we'll get to the edge and shut her down. Turned the key off, and it kept running. Set the brake, put it in gear, and killed the engine as it kept wanting to rattle and knock.

As I inspect, while waiting for a service tech, I notice the oil level is up and maybe tainted, the coolant level is down, and from the exhaust, where the flex pipe enters the muffler, there is a drop of moisture. I run my finger across it, and sure enough that greasy, slimy feeling of coolant. I pull the oil cap, and notice that murky gray sludge associated with coolant in the oil.

Eighty Five miles to Texarkana, and a nearly $500.00 towing bill. I have a feeling this is only the beginning of a expedited shopping spree(no pun intended). A very expensive, frustrating, unwanted vacation.

My truck is on the hook behind the big Pete hook-em-up truck now, and out the window the tow truck driver sees a big truck driver passing us waving his cb mike. AW MAN, common, now what? Smoke is rolling off the driver side wheel. We pull over to the shoulder and find the brake is dragging, a couple of twists of the wrench and we're pretty sure the brake is fully released now. I wonder what damage has been done there?

Twelve hours now in the Motel here and no word yet from the Freightliner shop. Imagine that. I guess it will be noon or so before we hear anything. I'm going to bed now, if I can sleep?

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
RE: rattle. rap...and drip drip drip goes the wate

Gramp I feel for you,
Last time Cyn and I had that scenario we were 80 miles to the drop in MN
it was -15 outside and the wrecker was 2 hrs away (Cyn and I drew snow angels on the inside of the winshield) like to froze to death as she only weighs a buck twenty at the time she didn't give off much heat...
One week of shopping at the Mall of America and I wanted to commit a hate crime.
Hope it is not too serious.
Mike

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

Just as I suspected. Freightliner almost never lets me down. It's nearly noon here and still no word. When I called from the side of the road yesterday, they promised they were not like other Freightliner shops. They would have the truck in last night or early this morning. My truck is still sitting where the hook-em-up truck dropped it.

What is wrong with these people?

Based on the original post. Has anyone else had a similar experience with their 3126 cat engine. If so what was the diagnosis?

Thanks,
Kemp.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

We have all been there,you have my sympathy. What did you do with the load? My last breakdown was in Missouri when a valve adjusting screw broke.Of ccousre it was on a load from LA to NJ,we were towed to St Louis F/liner,had to transfer the load at F/Liner to another truck.

I don't know who you are with but if you are loaded Fedexcc will pay your tow bill to a transfer location,then you can usually negoiate with the driver to take you to a repair facility and if the transfer location happens to be next to the repair facilty by some type of coincidence you will luck out.

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

Well Rich I wish I were that lucky. I am leased on with Bolt Express. They called a partner carrier who was sitting in Dallas. He had a pallet jack and a lift gate. The load was only 400 lbs. so he backed up his truck to mine and we just slid it over, and down the road he went. I had to pay the tow bill. Like I said it was about $500.00.
Had we had to be towed to a transfer location, Bolt would have paid the Tow bill to the transfer. I had that happen when I was on with Con-Way. 168 miles west of Dallas, near Abaline I think. My water pump crapped out. It was a true expedite waiting to get to a production line at Ford. They sent the big hook out, and towed us to the plant, backed up, delivered, and then towed us to FL there in Fort Worth. That cost me about $100.00. Con-Way paid the rest of the $800.00 bill.

K_G

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

Five o'clock eastern now and they finally got it into the shop with a little prodding. Their opinion of the problem is a little more optimistic than mine. But I guess if I think the worst, I will be happy if it's not so bad. Their preliminary diagnosis is a dropped injector tip. However, it may have still caused major damage to the cylinder.
Of course their diagnostic computer is in the middle of a CAT initiated update, so sit and wait a till that is done so they can hook that up to my truck to see what the ECM says.
Boy am I glad I've got my laptop and instant internet access through my cellular server, using my phone as my modem. Otherwise I would be bored out of my mind. Believe me I don't have far to go to be out of my mind.

K_G.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

Hmmm....I almost don't want to say anything...don't wanna jinx ya! But i'm feeling very anxious for you. I was hauling a load from detroit to utah and had made it to Rawlins WY. when the low coolant light comes on and it goes into automatic shut down mode. Check the coolant level...nothing in the resivoir...hmmm....add a gallon of coolant...see a black film floating up with alot of foam...oh crap! Got it towed. sat for two days. Was told, maybe it's the head gasket. Ok, wait two more day's, then i get "that" phone call..."please come in, we need to show you what's going on". Turn's out the block was cracked and the crack ran right through the number 1 cylinder and on a 3126 it's not repairable. It needed a new block. The estimate was $15,000, (actually it was $17,200 by the time it was done). So, after the shock, (and the crying spell's),wore off, I took a greyhound bus home. My sister offered up her credit card and a month later i was back on the road. Man...i had only owed $17,000 on the truck at the time, and felt like i was on top of the world. I had nothing but problems from that point on. Hoses,belts,pulleys,oil lines, eccesive oil consumption, two clutches and a radiator. It was in the shop twice a month from that point on. My income plumeted. My sister had to make several credit card payment's for me, and i'm sure she regretted her decision to loan it to me in the first place! It's been two years, and i'm still not completely back on track. I had to sell the truck and start over with a newer truck, (got a good deal or that never would have happened...my credit is shot). I sometimes seriously wonder why i'm still trying to do this. I get really jelous,(and maybe a little angry), when i here how easy it is for some folk's. People who are alway's busy...alway's in the right place at the right time...alway's do the right thing at exactly the right time, they alway's say the right thing at all the right times. It must get really boring to be so perfect...but i digress. God...why am i even typing this. Angry again i guess! Anyway...i hope that whatever is wrong with your truck, that it's nothing major. But seriously, keep a close eye on the mechanic's. And if something looks like it need's replacing...just go ahead and do it...um...if you can afford it! You'll need that truck to be running tip top if you ever hope of recovering that kind of money! Geez...on that happy note, i think i need to shut the heck up! Hopefully my horror story will help to cheer you up when you find out it's something minor with your truck!

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

Wow! Sorry to hear about your bout with bad luck. I hope things get better, and stay good for you. Thanks for the good wishes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us.

K_G.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Grog,
No happy story, but it is a good reality of what can really happen. Those rose colored glass can become clear as day when faced with such an event. Sometimes negativity gets confused with reality.

Kemper,
It does sound like you cracked an injector sleeve, based on your information. It could as well be a couple of other items as well. A cracked oil cooler, dropped cylinder, or cracked head would give you those same symptoms.
While it does little good now, I would have advised towing it to a CAT dealer. Why? Because they are much faster, and know the engine. Also, when factoring costs, most CAT dealers charge by the job, rather than by the hour. At the end of the day, it usually is a pretty significant difference.
Hopefully things will work out for you.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

Any new's K.G.? The suspense is killing me! Hopefully it was a relatively minor problem and you're up and rolling and too busy making money to chat! :)

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

yup all kinds of news!
And none of it good!

Dropped a valve in the #6 cylinder. Ruined the block, and the head. They claim there aren't any available 3126's rebuilt anywhere in the country. So they would have to rebuild a motor from the ground up, and the head. Estimating about $20K. I have a line on a C-7 cat, brand new, for $10,500 plus shipping and installation. New exhaust because it is a ACERT engine, about $3,000. Some plumbing rerouting. About $2,000. Total additional labor including initial diagnosis, about $4,000. So either way I am looking at about $20,000.00 and 2 more weeks vacation!

K_G.

P.S. Who want's to buy a good used truck?

greg334

Veteran Expediter

"They claim there aren't any available 3126's rebuilt anywhere in the country."

What?

Did the underwear nomes take all the 3126's from Cat so no one has them.

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

Good way to drive the price up, or get my truck for nothing. Naw, I don't think that will happen. I'm too hard-headed to give up yet. Or wait, according to another post maybee I'll go play my PS2 for awhile while I decide what to do. What an ignoramus I must be to believe that there aren't any anywhere in the country.

K_G.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Check Syria. I bet they're hidden in with all the WMDs.

On a serious note, maybe a second opinion?

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Are you happy:) :) :) now you went to freightliner??

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

>Check Syria. I bet they're hidden in with all the WMDs.
>
>On a serious note, maybe a second opinion?

Yup Syria is out tooo.....#####.

Working on a second opinion as we speak.
Actually I haven't gotten the total estimate from Freightliner yet, but I think 2 more days in the shop they should have one.
Yup, 4 days in the shop and they still haven't given me a definate estimate. Amazing that they can do business like this. If I ran my business like that I would be out of business.

Any idea on how to get the truck from Texarkana to Northern Illinois?
I have a couple of ideas, but any fresh ones may help.

Thanks,

K_G.

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

Oh no col!
I really didn't want to go there in the first place.
I called 5 shops in the area before I gave in to Freightliner. Nobody wanted to touch the truck. I guess they were afraid of the dry sleve engine. Don't know for sure.

I called CAT in Texarkana and they said they didn't deal with trucks anymore. Their closest shop that dealt with trucks, in Tyler couldn't even look at it until the beginning of this comming week. I figured those 5 or 6 days could make or break me.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Honestly, if I had a tow truck, I'd help you out. $3/mi might be worth it to get it to someone you trust. Call around the country if you need to, to find an engine. I'm sure a reputable FL dealer (if there is still one) can type on the puter and find one. Just sounds like the one you're at is full of buffoons who don't know how to do a little research; and instead think you're mindless and take their word as gospel, including the huge bill they plan on handing you. Let them continue wringing their hands at their little fantasy and show em what we already know... you're smarter than they hope you are. ;)

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

A good source for 3126 engines is www.trucks.com
They have used and rebuilds. If they don't have it, they would likely know where to find one quick. Huge place in Tampa and ship anywhere.
Their number is 1-888-295-0588

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator