GPS Rand McNally GPS

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There should be the option to turn off toll roads.

You can send Garmin [not sure about Rand McNally] a question or suggestion about it, on their website. I did, when I wanted to ensure that the model I bought does NOT change the ETA time when entering a new time zone. Now I'm going to suggest they add an option to 'backtrack' the same route, because sometimes, I want to retrace the last 5 or 10 miles. MS Streets & Trips has the feature, I don't see why a GPS can't.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Now I'm going to suggest they add an option to 'backtrack' the same route, because sometimes, I want to retrace the last 5 or 10 miles. MS Streets & Trips has the feature, I don't see why a GPS can't.
They can, but it depends on the type of GPS unit you have. I'm not sure why, in a vehicle, you'd want to retrace the last 5 or 10 miles, since your route is limited to established roads, but for hiking GPS units, saving your trail so it can be retraced is an important feature. It's a feature available on all Garmin off-road models, and it's called Garmin TracBack.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have the 710 and the 720 and these two have been indestructible and I have ruined a lot of GPS's over that past few years. At one time I was teasingly told I could only touch GPS's with gloves on.

They all have some funky things they do and overall I like the Hazmat routing with the Rand's and I really like their address book.

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
I have the 720 and there has been a few times I wanted to chuck it out the window. Reroutes me a totally different way midway through a trip and has me go strait through a major city instead of using the bypassing loops during rush hour or adds two hundred miles to a run no matter what route settings I set it on. Overall it's a decent gps but I wouldn't go as far as to say its the trucker gps.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I bought a TND30 a couple months ago, sent it back for repairs after customer service told me the hard drive on it had crashed. Got it back about a month ago, and it is worse than ever for locking up and freezing up, and has to be reset or shut off and turned back on to make it work. The dc battery charger has loose connection and will not work, so it has to be charged from ac inverter while going down the road. Rand McNally customer service is practically worthless, staffed by a bunch of kids that could care less about these problems. Stay away from these GPS units, I just blew about $400 for this piece of Chinese junk.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They can, but it depends on the type of GPS unit you have. I'm not sure why, in a vehicle, you'd want to retrace the last 5 or 10 miles, since your route is limited to established roads, but for hiking GPS units, saving your trail so it can be retraced is an important feature. It's a feature available on all Garmin off-road models, and it's called Garmin TracBack.

My old Magellan had that feature. It came in handy when I was about to make a delivery and I would pass a store or restaurant or anything that I wanted to see and I could never find it once I got to delivery. That backtracking feature worked very well in those cases.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I bought a TND30 a couple months ago, sent it back for repairs after customer service told me the hard drive on it had crashed. Got it back about a month ago, and it is worse than ever for locking up and freezing up, and has to be reset or shut off and turned back on to make it work. The dc battery charger has loose connection and will not work, so it has to be charged from ac inverter while going down the road. Rand McNally customer service is practically worthless, staffed by a bunch of kids that could care less about these problems. Stay away from these GPS units, I just blew about $400 for this piece of Chinese junk.

just now got labels from Rand McNally to return my TND30 for the second time since I bought it about 3 months ago.

what a hassle.