GPS Rand McNally GPS

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
We do. Lots of features. Huge display.

Con: Locks up from time to time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
We do also. Nice large screen that makes it easy to see without squinting. The latest updates have been great.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

MaidMarion

Active Expediter
Yep. We have the largest, latest, greatest version.

Would we buy it again? Nope.

It has lots of faults that updates and changes to settings can't fix. It has lots of 'extra' gizmos and calculations that we don't need or want. Yet it doesn't execute its basic function reliably--finding the shortest or fastest route from one place to another. At least half the time it tries to route us ways that would cost both miles and time.

And it does truly ignorant things, like trying to send us five miles past our exit only to have us do a u-turn and come back so that we get off the exit on the same side of the road as our destination.
And it often tries to send us over routes that are weight or height restricted. (I could go on but I think that's enough for you to know what I think of it.)

The nav system on the QC does a much better job of routing (as long as we're not running HazMat). We always program both and compare, and sometimes still check Google Maps before we roll.

It seems that a gps that touts itself as being for truckers should do a better job of the basics.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had the 520, 720, and 760. Now I have the Garmin 7 inch and even that one has it's issues but it is better than the rand product.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had the 520, 720, and 760. Now I have the Garmin 7 inch and even that one has it's issues but it is better than the rand product.

Thats good to know because i was thinking about switching to the Rand now i won't.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I was thinking of making a change too but now it will be the garmin already have one from garmin just want bigger!

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Twice my Garmin DEZL routed me thru a walmart parking lot instead of going to the light at the next street to come up on the street behind walmart. I wonder what walmart thinks of that? Coming from AL to Atlanta I-20 it wants me to get off the interstate just to cross the HWY and get back on, Fooled me once.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It used to do that down on I-35 somewhere north of Laredo, too. The best one was just north of Mobile where it had me get off the interstate, drive around the block, and get right back on the interstate. I swear I heard it giggling a few minutes later.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do your GPSes try for 50 miles to get you on toll roads, like mine does? Mine tries to get me onto the Indiana Toll Road whenever I get on 30 near Valparaiso, and doesn't quit nagging me about it until at least Columbia City. It must think I'm foolish to lose 20 minutes to save $15....

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do your GPSes try for 50 miles to get you on toll roads, like mine does? Mine tries to get me onto the Indiana Toll Road whenever I get on 30 near Valparaiso, and doesn't quit nagging me about it until at least Columbia City. It must think I'm foolish to lose 20 minutes to save $15....

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

There should be the option to turn off toll roads.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I am wondering if there is an automatic error message that could be sent, by which I mean to the manufacturer of your GPS unit, when the GPS tells you to do something totally stupid!

jimmy

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Is that Walmart new enough that a road recently existed that went through the area of that parking lot ?

On the issue of going past an exit to do a U-Turn to return to the first exit:
Lets say you are NB on I-65 and you want to go to the Pilot at the NW corner of exit 95. The GPS sees a location that it thinks is on the SB exit ramp. You can't go North on the SB exit ramp, so it tells you to go past the exit, do a flip, and head SB to get to the address it thinks is located on the SB exit ramp.

A RM Engineer explained this to me at a truckshow.

MaidMarion

Active Expediter
On the issue of going past an exit to do a U-Turn to return to the first exit:
Lets say you are NB on I-65 and you want to go to the Pilot at the NW corner of exit 95. The GPS sees a location that it thinks is on the SB exit ramp. You can't go North on the SB exit ramp, so it tells you to go past the exit, do a flip, and head SB to get to the address it thinks is located on the SB exit ramp.

As logical as that sounds our Rand generally has a couple of turns listed after the u-turn so I don't think it sees our destination as being on the ramp...

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I haven a Rand right now I did use a Garman the high end one but it hated the George Washington Bridge But I did use a Garmon the old old version that liked the Gerorge Washington Bridge the New one was for trucks the old one was for cars but had a truck Icon u could put on it.
Using the QUALCOMM GPS funney Low Bridges come to mind. HMMM

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Love my TND 720 best GPS I've ever owned...An it does have a way to not take toll roads lol it's the most in depth gps you'll find on the market IMO

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Full discloser Todd how many rand McNally's did you go through before you got one that has worked for a few weeks? :)

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Love my TND 720 best GPS I've ever owned...An it does have a way to not take toll roads lol it's the most in depth gps you'll find on the market IMO

Don't all above the $100 price line have toll avoidance ?

If you have one that avoids the GWB I'd check it for toll avoidance, bridge avoidance and HazMat routing.