Question To All ?

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
I was wondering from everyone, When you decided to get into Expediting; How did your family,Husband,Wife,S/O's react to the fact of being out on the road and away from them for days at a time ?
Where they upset or supportive ?
I know a lot of you drive together but did you start out that way ?
Just wondering !
Thanks

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
Richard, I don't expedite, main reason my wife didn't want me gone that much, she didn't like the idea of even a week. That is the main reason I didn't go out and do it. Remember if mama ain't happy no one is happy. I think you you need support of the family on this job or, business. Good luck. Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker:)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
rmctt2:

Tom said it all in a nutshell. You definately need the support of the family from which you will be separated to be successful in this expediting business. Success measured emotionally is just as important as the financial success. The stress associated with the need to be with wife/husband and the kids while you ponder the $1000 run offer over the weekend can turn a dream job into a nightmare and lead to financial ruin.

I sense from your question that you are hoping that one or more of us will have the answer that will validate your desire to expedite and appease your family's negative support. If that's the case, I don't think there is an answer unless or until your family shares your dream

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I spent many years on the road (30) as a field sales rep. During that time I would be gone 3 to 5 nights a week and occasionally 2 or three weeks at a time. Still some weeks I'd be home all week or only be gone one night and I was home most weekends. Because of this, I thought expediting would be more of the same. NOPE.

Unless someone else has a better formulae, Two weeks out (or more) is the most profitable way to work this. I try to stay in service even when I'm home so I won't miss that big load. This makes the schedule very difficult to predict and the honeydoo jobs begin to stack up. To me, you have to make hay while the sun shines. Gotta build up those reserves for the slow times.

My wife is supportive but she doesn't go with me. She (as she says) has a real job with real benefits. This helps me because of the health insurance coverage ETC. Still, supportive or not, sometimes momma ain't happy. During the slow times it's hard to justify the life style with the income and overhead. It's been a hard year for me and momma ain't happy. She would much prefer I had a real job too.

If you do this, make sure you have the full support of your spouse and make sure you both understand the time and financial commitment it requires. It's way to easy to hear what you want to hear and believe what you want to believe but life doesn't work that way. This is a business and a way of life. It can be great fun and it can be real boring and frustrating too. Not all of us make a ton of money but all of us endure the slow times eventually. You have to be optomistic but ready for the negatives. The biggest negative can be at home. If you don't have support from that quarter, you will fail.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive been doing this a long time,Ive tried all variables as far as being gone from home,granted I dont have a real reason to be home,like a wife,but none the less,we all like time at home
I make my most money if im gone 10 days and home three,if Im gone 3 weeks and then take a week off,thats only 3 paychecks in the month,but if im gone just 10 days,then three off there are 4 paychecks,and i have my good home time.
but as stated above,if the wife aint happy,no ones happy,or you just teach her to drive.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
My hubby started driving about 18 months after retiring from the Navy. He was gone alot during our military life ( he was on submarines) so being gone driving wasn't a stretch for me. Heck, I had contact with him while he was gone while he was driving. I went out with him a few times, and loved it so I decided to get my CDL too.
I do feel that life on the road is a lifestyle not just a job and if you don't have family support it would be miserable out there.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
My family supports me 100%, to the point that my younger brother is gonna team with me soon. My mom and dad are also looking to get into the field. I guess I was the test dummy of the family, like I always am.

As far as relationships, lol. I usually stay out as long as I get loads, be it 2 weeks or be it 2 months, being I have no wife, fiancée, girlfriend or kids. When I started driving I was dating a girl, within 3 months we broke up because she said I didn't spend enough time with her. Thats when I only ran 2 weeks then came home for 3 days. But when I would get home I had things I had to take care of around the house, cars, plus wanted to spend time with family and my newborn nephew. I guess what I had learned from that is both people have to be willing to work at the relationship in order to make it work.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I found out the hard way that "when the cat's away the mice will play" Unfortunately I didn't find out until the mouse found a new cat to play with!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
When Cyn and I met I told her she subscribes to "my way or the highway"..
I was a Prince destined to be King of my castle and so it is...
If she doesn't like it I will leave her with the 1st court jester I can find at the Pilot....
Uh but in the real world...
I told her of places I had seen and things too beautiful to tell and she bought into it with zeal.
I am happy to say we have had more fun and done more in 2.5 years than most people do in a lifetime and even though we have speed bumps they always lead to a smooth stretch of highway..
If she left me tomorrow it will have been worth it and I will be her friend but it took me forever to learn to love myself and i will never give up my passion to see, explore and embrace life.
Short answer...
If in the infancy stages of life, love and family this is not for you.
If your Sig Other is your buddy or pally wally and you are not tied down
it doesn't get any better.
Really
Mike

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
Divorce after 15 years of marriage, two early teen kids. The marriage was going south anyway but expediting, well, expedited things.
On the plus side I feel I spend more quality time with one of the kids now than before getting into this biz, maybe the other will come around someday.
Bottom line, if your relationship is already shaky then expediting will probably finish it off.
If you have a strong relationship and a plan with goals then it could work out well for you.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Pretty much the same story as Letzrock - but I didn't know about the other cat until the rat showed up everywhere with her, from the first day after the divorce.
If it weren't for our teenage daughter, the world would have one less rat today, I'm sure. Since my daughter would not be happy with a dead father, and a mother in prison, I simply wish the happy couple all the happiness that they deserve...
For the first time in my life, though, I love what I do, and I wake up looking forward to each day - I'm on my way! :)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have always said that If you have young children at home you should be there for them. Not only expediters but other occupations can require you to be away for extended time frames. I know as I traveled heavily in previous occupations but I managed to be there on the important issues. The first little league game,the recital etc.

I feel for the Military families and often wonder how do the spouses and children sleep knowing that a parent may be in harms way. At least in expediting there is probably a very good chance you will be home for your loved ones.

Spouses and children are very important and a strong relationship can overcome times away. Daily contacts in one form or another goes a long way in overcoming distances. I am currently involved with the Speedco truck tour. On my last trip out,when I opened my suitcase for the night I had a card from my wife that meant a lot. These days you have to work on relationships whether on the road or not. Don't take him/her for granted and remember the grass is not greener on the other side.

Long Hauler 5T

Expert Expediter
I can sympathize with those of you who have had their Marriages come apart for whatever reason. Even trying to go after this business as a "Team" doesn't guarantee success. My wife and I started out as a team operation in a cargo van. The backhauls (and money) weren't there. So I went back to running solo in a d unit. About 5 monthes later she found her old high school love and made arrangements to meet him (unknown to me). Our marriage literally went south with her. Four months before our 25th anniversary she bailed and moved back to Texas. I would have, could have, should have, but for what? to extend the unhappyness? Nope, I have always believed if your not happy then move on.
You have to have a "special relationship" to be able to survive the strains that this kind of life style puts on your relationship. If either of you are the "need to be entertained" type, don't consider it any further.
Doug

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
I got into it for the travel and of course the money (if you find it let me know where). The S/O at first was a little upset but since I needed bucks and other things were not working, here I am. The marriage was on the rocks and really started to go south, but it has endured (somehow). I get more home time now than I had a few years ago so I'm more relaxed, but it hasn't helped otherwise. Oh well life goes on. I like work so I keep doing it. S/O had to come over to my way of thinking and has accepted it.
Rob Fis

nighttrain

Seasoned Expediter
when i was looking into going with either fed ex or panter i sat with my wife and told her there will be times i am out for 2-3weeks home for 3 days will you be able to handle me being gone
she said yes
so i went with fed ex with one owner which i hated but go hooked up with bruno and his fiance and it was good
it seemed to help us out alot we got along better
but for me it sucked being away from my kids for so long

but marriages are different sit down with your husband or wife and talk to them and tell them that more than likely you will be gone for 2 weeks or more and only home for a few days

i know wife uncle was an o/o for a flatbed and his wife hated him being gone and they kept telling her our marriage wouldnt last and this and that

would i consider going back out maybe but i hated coming home after 2 weeks and seeing my kids get bigger and miss some things

but good luck in whatever you choose

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We stayed at home with "Normal" jobs till the last child went to collage. Had a rough start trying to keep a house and everything the same at home and be out on the road for three weeks. Trying to move back home and get back into the "Normal" life and decided that just wasn't for us. Sold the farm put that money away for the next farm and then bought a truck. After 20 years of marriage it is scary to go from the "Normal" life to being together in a small box 24/7 your friends are my friends type situation. We found we fit together better out here and fit in better out here. The "Normal" life usually finds each spouse not talking well of the other, in this job your life and livelihood depends on the other and you gain mutual respect! Great job when the kids leave the chicken coop! Our oldest daughter takes care of our bills and appointments at home. Our youngest daughter is an officer in the Air Force and we drop in on her often. When you have the support of your family and also the love and respect of each other this is the perfect job!