Question/Tip

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Anybody know why you should not apply your brakes while traveling over a set of railroad tracks?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was taught is was due to the possibilty of losing control, sliding on the tracks themselfs. Don't know if that is correct. Layoutshooter

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My guess would be it's the same as why you shouldn't shift gears on the tracks. If something goes wrong, there you sit just waitin' for Casey Jones to come barreling down the tracks.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Great input.

From a safety perspective I agree 100% with those responses.

But I am thinking more along the line of a mechanical consideration.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
My understanding is basically the same as HS, no brakes, no gear changes - simply coast across, thus less chance of mechanical problems resulting in thrain thru truck etc.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
[Not all tracks are smooth right? Now if you hit a pot hole before crossing over one of the tracks and you applied to much brake your stopping right? Just another chance of being hooked on a track like one said earlier coast accross quickly and safley as possible do not shift and do not brake or even think of breaking on tracks.

Chicago, or Crystal Lake, IL about 10 years ago, commuter train slamed into a Truck who stopped on the Tracks. I believe a vehicle in front of him stopped after clearing the tracks for traffic, truck driver ignored commonsense and got himself cought on the tracks. Many killed and many more injured.

Take all Tracks Seriously, I roll windows down even when not on a HM load look and listen.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
In a single track scenario, when the grade on both sides of the track elevates the roadway above the track area and you cross at a speed that causes the tire to lose momentary contact with the crossing surface, when the brakes are being applied the tire stops its rotation when it loses contact with the suface.

The stress on the drivetrain occurs when the non-rotating tire contacts the surface again. Tire surfaces, brakes, and the entire drivetrain can be adversely affected.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
broom, it was crystal lake. i think it happened again i illinois a year or 2 later. just can't get it thru some peoples heads to not stop on the tracks with a bus load of kids.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My father taught me to not brake on RR Trax 57 years ago. He said you could break a spring.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
In a single track scenario, when the grade on both sides of the track elevates the roadway above the track area and you cross at a speed that causes the tire to lose momentary contact with the crossing surface, when the brakes are being applied the tire stops its rotation when it loses contact with the suface.

The stress on the drivetrain occurs when the non-rotating tire contacts the surface again. Tire surfaces, brakes, and the entire drivetrain can be adversely affected.

David, I think you got this backwards.

There is no stress on the driveline if the tire is being held by the brakes.

But the thing is with your senario is that we are looking at fractions of a second, maybe milliseconds where the reaction of the mechanics come into play.

I tried to trash a car in the 80s by hitting the tracks behind a building we were striping. I had almost a mile to get up to speed and I never did anything to the car except make a lot of sparks, it was something to see at night.

The driveline takes up a lot of shock, a lot more than can be produced by an event going across poorly maintain RR tracks. With today's materials in the driveline and suspension, I would be very surprised if someone would actually damage a rear axle or break a spring going over a RR track.

The real reason that you are not supposed to stop on tracks is simple, as Phil said... not to get killed.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody know why you should not apply your brakes while traveling over a set of railroad tracks?

So are we talking about trucks or cargo vans here? Most of you by now know my position concerning cargo vans. If I was a D.O.T. officer and saw brake lights lit on a cargo van while crossing railroad tracks I would bust that driver immediately. Then would handcuff the QualComm unit to the rails until it spilled it guts implicating the van driver. Or I would wait until a train passed and the Q.C. spilled it's guts.

But if a train passed and the Q.C. spilled it's guts it might not be able to implicate the driver for exceeding H.O.S. Maybe I would just gently beat it with a nightstick and then threaten to leave it cuffed to the tracks.

Or maybe I would cuff the driver to the tracks, beat the safety director silly and take the Q.C. out for dinner and drinks after my shift.

On third thought I would just get another donut, read the paper and ignore the whole situation. Well maybe I would get two donuts and some coffee for myself and the QualComm.

Hey, what kind of Q.C. are we talking about?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am sure glad I don't drive a van. Sure seems to be some hatred of that type in here. I own guns, does that count? Layoutshooter

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, is this part of your reaction drill for trains? What does your friend Jack do?

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
OK, for one, braking over a track means you probably did not steer ahead. A few years ago, my son thought he could just jump right over the rails after skidding off the gravel road in a corner (says abs would not stop him), not too mention he was going way to fast to start w/, high centered on the rails, and after a local resident tried dragging him off for a good 20 minutes to no avail as the trans cross member must have hooked the rail, here comes the train. The Cherokee was bounced nicely off the track and set along side without much damage.....untill the step on the cabose crabbed it under the rear wheel well and literally chunked it like a rag doll, looked like godzilla picked it up and twisted on both ends. My son did have enough sense to get out before and unhook the chain. Wouldn't have been so bad except this was my son's second total in 6 months, no injuries.

On a serious note though, we did learn there is a 1-800 # and id marker # on every crossing one can call to immediately contact rail authorities to try and stop any oncoming if not too late. Why the local dude that lived right at the crossing and who tried to pull the Jeep off the tracks didn't know that i'll never know. My son sd the first think he told him was a train was due in about 15 minutes, go figure.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many years ago I too was taught not to change gears crossing RR's reason I was told was...that the clutch plates may not engage properly and cause some damage. Same for the brakes..if they have some wear they tend to jump ever so slightly in their seating and if you apply breaks when not seated properly one could break a pad. Also that split second that your not in gear you have virtually no control over the truck. It was considered automatic failure to change gears on RR's in Canada road test for A license. This may not apply so much with the newer technology.

Last edited:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
So are we talking about trucks or cargo vans here? Most of you by now know my position concerning cargo vans. If I was a D.O.T. officer and saw brake lights lit on a cargo van while crossing railroad tracks I would bust that driver immediately. Then would handcuff the QualComm unit to the rails until it spilled it guts implicating the van driver. Or I would wait until a train passed and the Q.C. spilled it's guts.

But if a train passed and the Q.C. spilled it's guts it might not be able to implicate the driver for exceeding H.O.S. Maybe I would just gently beat it with a nightstick and then threaten to leave it cuffed to the tracks.

Or maybe I would cuff the driver to the tracks, beat the safety director silly and take the Q.C. out for dinner and drinks after my shift.

On third thought I would just get another donut, read the paper and ignore the whole situation. Well maybe I would get two donuts and some coffee for myself and the QualComm.

Hey, what kind of Q.C. are we talking about?

Moot,

I will put my driving skills up against you anyday of the week. I know there are alot of van drivers that aren't the best drivers in the world but there are alot of ST and TT drivers out there that you wonder how they even got a DL to begin with let alone a comercial license. The driving schools will push just about anyone thru just to get them in a truck to make them some money.

DON'T group us all together. Its like saying all demacrates are bad and all republicans are good or visa versa.