Question on yearly net income.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Thats it? Doesnt really seem worth it when you can make $20-25K doing pizza delivery 40 hours a week and be home after 8 hours instead of 8 days/weeks and drive a quarter as many miles.

Adding one thing more. $20-$25k net is after expenses. Everything on the road is an expense. Would you want to pay taxs on more?;)

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
See, I dont really see anyone in their right mind living in a van for weeks at a time to make just above minimum wage.

Above minimum wage? No, it factors out to be well below minimum wage.

The problem with the numbers you are working with from many recruiters is that they are best case averages. If last month was a strong month, those are the numbers you're going to get. If freight has fallen off you might get an average of the past year. Or you could get the average miles of the strong performers. Another problem number might be fsc. One company says 100% fsc, another company says 100% fsc "program". The company with the highest loaded mile rate might also be the company with the highest unpaid deadhead miles, or the highest out-of-pocket fees. The numbers that you are using sound like the best cases of each category compiled from all the companies. Sort of like an all-star dream team. Do the opposite by compiling the worst numbers across all the companies you talk to and you'll probably come closer to reality.

Turtle, what third of the month do you include vehicle payment? My rule of thumb goes by weeks of the month. Week One pays the vehicle payment, or what has to go into savings for the next vehicle. Week Two goes to fuel. Week Three goes to maintenance, saving for repairs, insurance, tolls, and fees. What little is left from Week Three goes to Week Four which goes into my pocket. That's right Week Four is the equivalent of my net income.

eb

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle, what third of the month do you include vehicle payment?
People can break it up into whatever chunks they like. I just go with monthly fixed expenses which cannot be altered, and then divide it up after that into wherever I want to put it. Sometimes more than a third goes for the truck, sometimes a lot less. Sometimes I get more than a third, sometimes a lot, lot less. Just depends on how I'm running and how often. As for the vehicle payment itself, that was paid off not much more than a year after I got the van. What would have been a vehicle payment get put aside for maintenance and repair, mostly.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have talked to several companies hiring cargo vans and they have all said they pay about a dollar+ a mile, 2000-2500+ miles a week(less than 10% dead head), and 100% fuel surcharge. I just dont see how you can only be making $20-30K a year pulling down close to $2K a week. Even with van payments, maintenance, insurance, its still a huge amount of money a month.

Are they just lying that much? Something doesnt add up here. :(

I might as well pile on too. Where does the line start for these "jobs"??? Figuring the low end of what you've posted, at 1.05 per mile combined pay and FSC, it would come to $2100 a week. That's almost 110,000 a year. At that rate, a lot of my financial problems start to get eliminated. The reality is quite a bit different. Right now, I'm looking at an overall gross, everything included, from three different companies over the course of the year, of about 50,000. After expenses--- forget about it, you really don't want to know.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Owner Operators,Vans,Straight Trucks,& Tractors

This is the link to the ad I last responded to. It is based out of KC.

Notice the ad combines tractors, straight trucks, and vans together. You will see this happen a lot, it came up in another thread that my company advertises no QC fees, that only applies to the trucks, I believe the miles in this ad are the same. The second issue is it says you get 70%, well 70% of $3/mile and 70% of .80/mile are to very different numbers. I called the number and they are going to email an application, I have seen this ad before in the Detroit Craigslist ads and looked into the company. I didn't find anything on them so that could be good. I think once I dig into this a little it will become a little more realistic but you never know Expedite Delivery Service could be trying to take over the market by paying better and getting more freight.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Mars22

Active Expediter
I called the guy and talked to him for about 15 minutes specifically about CVs. He claimed less than 10% DH, average between .$90-1.05 a mile plus fuel, and usually 2000+ miles a week.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I called the guy and talked to him for about 15 minutes specifically about CVs. He claimed less than 10% DH, average between .$90-1.05 a mile plus fuel, and usually 2000+ miles a week.

If it is anything close my wife will be taking the van there without a doubt. It would be nice even if she had a steady 1200 miles per week but I would approach this very cautiously.

Mars22

Active Expediter
Yeah, he said you need a 2006 or newer van, 3/4 ton. I would have to take out a loan for something that new and I cant really take a risk that big without being 100% sure. Granted my current jobs suck and dont pay very much and I work 7 days a week but I am home every night and dont have much bills. If I get a van and sign with someone I would want to talk to a bunch of their employees first before spending any money or major time on it.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, he said you need a 2006 or newer van, 3/4 ton. I would have to take out a loan for something that new and I cant really take a risk that big without being 100% sure. Granted my current jobs suck and dont pay very much and I work 7 days a week but I am home every night and dont have much bills. If I get a van and sign with someone I would want to talk to a bunch of their employees first before spending any money or major time on it.

I plan to look into them and some other companies, hopefully they are able to produce.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
An approach to take is to sell your personal vehicle and buy a van with the proceeds. If you start expediting in a van, you may as well not have a parked vehicle. And you really don't want vehicle payments when starting out in the vanning business, especially when you hit a major repair job (or a deer).

eb

aspahic

Active Expediter
the think is you all are still in that business, driving cargo van for profit not for the fun, i know telling the truth sometimes hurt but .... you just have to lie, more vans on the streets less miles for us... simple is that.
chears

paullud

Veteran Expediter
the think is you all are still in that business, driving cargo van for profit not for the fun, i know telling the truth sometimes hurt but .... you just have to lie, more vans on the streets less miles for us... simple is that.
chears

Are you getting numbers like that? 2,000 miles a week at $1/mile, if you are please let me know. Or are you are trying to stir up trouble and mislead people, a few extra vans won't hurt the industry as there are to many already.

aspahic

Active Expediter
exactly, that's why all this gent's talking two sided story, yeah wright there is no money in this business... don't do it, it is hard work etc. then why there are in that business, maybe because they don't know how to deliver pizza's for example,

aspahic

Active Expediter
o i forget to tell you guy's i am still in this business to, and i love it, o and money is o.k to

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
o i forget to tell you guy's i am still in this business to, and i love it, o and money is o.k to
How long have you been in this business? Why haven't you answered the original poster's question and revealed your yearly net income?

aspahic

Active Expediter
original question was about income, but ended up with how hard is to make money in this type of business, why don't you answer that question, why don't you share your experience's, why you guy's always talking about negative stuff, probably you are going to tell me this is not my business, of course is not so is not your business to spread negativity to. tell them how much did you make last year, or maybe you just deliver pizza's to