Question on Personal/buisiness Laptop Computers ?

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Hi;
I have been looking into purchasing a wireless laptop for both personal and buisiness to use on the road !
Like to know what others are using .
I am looking at a Dell ( I have a line of Credit with them) !
I am also going with AT&T wireless on computer so I can bundle and try to save $$$.
Thanks
RMCTT2

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
RE: Question on Personal/buisiness Laptop Computer

I have a Aspire 3000 by acre. Cheap about 495.00 does all I need had it in the truck for two years and no problems. I have not tried the wireless cards yet.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I have an HP dv6000 that is beaten up beyond belief - I am not a gentle laptop owner.

I also have the AT&T air card - Sierra Aircard 875. I should write a review on it but anyway it is ok. I have problems with XP needed to be rebooted at times when I know I had a connection before. Most of this happened in LA and Denver.

BUT for some reason, I could not get any connection in any area of Wyoming, even when I was in Jackson hole where I would assume I would get a great connection, nothing. One time I delivered on the edge of the Wyoming/Utah border and sat on the Wyoming side of the road with no connection and when I crossed the road, I got a signal. Maybe Wyoming doesn't want AT&T in their state.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

We have two Dells. Hardrive failed on the newer one.(Just out of warranty) Customer service from India was very difficult. Mostly trying to understand the accent. Also after ordering and receiving the new drive ($200.00),we find out the operating system disc would cost another $50.00. Seems like they could have mentioned this when the drive was ordered.

We have the air card (actually its a USB device) from Verizon.Has worked every place we have been.(mostly east of the Mississippi)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

I have a newer Dell E1505 that will only accept the verizon air card. Check availability of ATT compatability before you commit to the Dell. I also had a hard drive failure and have deduced it got toasted when I started the truck while plugged into a non-surge protected inverter. I got a free HD as I was still under warrenty.

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter

Boy;
I know what you mean by talking to Dell Tech Support !
Very hard to understand most of them.
I have a Dell DeskTop and had to reformat hard drive, finally got someone extremely knowledge.. from India of course !
I really do not want to go with Dell ( because of Tech Support issues) but I have been to Best Buy 3 times.. stood there in front of the laptops for about 30 minutes .. recieved abolutely no assistance on all 3 times , so I left..Last time I go there for anything !!!!
With Dell , I have a 2,000.00 credit line and can basically build my own with what I want in it !
Not sure if I want a business computer or one of the Insperation series ??
As far as AT&T cards, they offer them with the computers at Dell for $ 150.00 but can go through AT&T itself and get a full refund back.
I have AT&T for landline and Direct T.V , so want to bundle together !
I have Verizon Cell ( Do not want to go with AT&T.. All my family is on Verizon ).. Thought of Verizon card but maybe cheaper to stay with bundling AT&T !
Thanks for your help guys !!

gojack

Expert Expediter

dell has very low customer service satisfaction according
consumer reports

Apple and HP rate far better

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I don't do Dell anymore because of their Customer Service.

I used to have a really nice, high end Toshiba laptop, widescreen, the whole bit. It was over three grand new. In one year on the road I beat it up to the point where even Greg would shake his head and go, "Doooood." Finally, the clip of a clip-on lamp broke and the lamp came crashing down and hit the screen in the exact mathematical center, and sent a spider web of cracks all over the place.

That was when I was using my laptop as a GPS device, as well as a computer. Instead of repeating that mess, I took the money that I would have spent on a laptop and split it between a cheaper laptop and a Garmin. I got an $800 HP from Best Buy for the laptop.

My experience at most Best Buys is one where I can stand there and look at something, a laptop, printer, whatever, and within 20 minutes I'll have 5 people ask if they can help me and they all want to make me aware that they do not work on commission. Drives me nuts.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter

>I have a newer Dell E1505 that will only accept the verizon
>air card. Check availability of ATT compatability before
>you commit to the Dell. I also had a hard drive failure and
>have deduced it got toasted when I started the truck while
>plugged into a non-surge protected inverter. I got a free
>HD as I was still under warrenty.

I installed my buddies sprint card on his dell and it works fine.Im using a Dell with sprint no problems.As long as it has a PMCIA card slot you can use what ever company for internet..I have installed these on Gateways,Dells,Hp,Acer with out problems.I have had to do more fine tuning on some to make them work as good as some others.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Turtle,

you got me beat there. beside the scratches and the gouges, my hinges on the laptop are broken so the screen won't stay up - cheap diecast parts that should be wirewound for strength.

I went rounds with HP trying to get the replacement parts but they refuse to sell the parts to me or even give me the part numbers. They wanted me to bring it into a 'service' center and have them replace the hinges - at $375 (higher in California). I even tried to work with the 'service' center but those ignorant ******* refuse to tell me anything.

Since I am home I got the part numbers and the price is less than $60 for a pair of hinges. Mind you I am certified to work on HP equipment, so I should be able to get the parts directly from HP without a problem as I have had done in the past for a number of things but this time I hit a wall. Maybe they are getting kickbacks from the 'service' centers?

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter

check out visions computers online I got a laptop from them about two yrs ago and it has worked great, the few minor bugs the fixed in a few minutes online. there was a hardware problem with it when it was 4 months old, I happened to be in the area of their store so I stopped in and was suprised that instead of the runaround of fixing it and sending it to me, they took my hard drive out and in 45 minutes I had a brand new computer, great people to work with

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

We bought a Dell for our daughter and it was a decent machine. I won't buy another because I'm not going to try to understand the tech people on the phone. I use HP in my truck and have excellent luck with them. I'm on my 3rd and the other 2 are still going strong for subsequent users. I just upgraded so I'm only 2 generations behind current.

The new machines have a new type of card slot. I forget the name but instead of a true rectangle like a football field they have a shape resembling the state of Utah. The very common aircards won't fit. I got a new Sprint aircard that plugs into USB so I can take the internet with me on any USB enabled machine. I've had Verizon and Cingular (now ATT) aircards and they definitely do not perform as well as my Sprint aircard.

You can do a build/buy of an HP online just like a Dell and they have their own financing just like Dell. I've also seen at least a half dozen laptops at Walmart, which is a new thing for them I think. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Just FYI, sometimes HP will run 'reconditioned' laptop sales - sometimes more than half off retail. These are not all recons but overruns from company orders that have been canceled by distributors. I think this takes place every 6 months and will only be on their site for a week at a time but you catch it right, you get a great deal.

JnJTeam

Seasoned Expediter

Our agency uses Dell Latitude's and Compaq laptops in our cars. I prefer the Dell. It is a heavy brick and built like a tank. It is a business model that has the heavier screen hinges and thicker case. It is not a semi-rugged model just standard issue. The ##### gets beat out of it between the driving and the dog shedding all over it and it works like a champ every time. You have to be careful on some Dell's though...some only have the newer PCMCIA slot which is smaller than normal ones and will not accept most aircards. Ours has the normal PCMCIA slot. We use a Sierra Wireless A580 with sprint service that works great. It has an external port for an exterior antenna if needed. We are in the sticks and never have a problem with connecting at broadband speeds.

Jereme

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

My Compaq laptop is a little more than 2 yrs old, and has been in frequent use, with zero problems - at least, none that were the fault of the computer, lol.
Since Compaq is now part of HP, I will probably watch for one of the overstock sales that Greg mentioned, when it's time to upgrade. And when it's time to get one for my daughter, who'll be attending college next year, as well. :)