Question on Logging & EOBR

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
How many remember to add their BOL number to the EOBR log each day?

Another question was discussed the other day with mixed ideas.

How many have their BOL number or Shipper name and commodity on their logs?

I have heard it done both ways some add commodity and some do not. What do you do?

Is any of the above even required?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How many remember to add their BOL number to the EOBR log each day?

Another question was discussed the other day with mixed ideas.

How many have their BOL number or Shipper name and commodity on their logs?

I have heard it done both ways some add commodity and some do not. What do you do?

Is any of the above even required?

We do not, no one has ever said anything about it. Don't know if it is required. Seems to me that if it was we would have been 'corrected' already.

dogsbed

Seasoned Expediter
FMCSA 395.8(d):
Following information must be included on the form in addition to the grid:
(1) Date
(2) Total miles driving today
(3) Truck or tractor and trailer number
(4) Name of Carrier
(5) Driver's signature/certification
(6) 24 hour starting time (e.g., midnight, 9:00 am, noon, 3:00 pm)
(7) Main office address
(8) Remarks
(9) Name of co-driver
(10) Total hours (far right edge of grid): AND
(11) SHIPPING DOCUMENT NUMBER(S), OR NAME OF SHIPPER AND COMMODITY

I have been driving and going through inspections for 35 years. For over 20 years I never put it in and never had it questioned. THEN, there was the one officer (in California of course)who wrote it up and and it cost me $135. I have listed it every since. It seems to be one of those things that most don't bother with, but it only takes one......and with the current CSA attitude

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I never included it before driving for Load 1, but the log checker [Dora the explorer, lol] says it is required, so now I log it.
I read #11 as requiring either/or, but it's pretty ambiguous - could be both, and that's what I log: number and commodity.
Because as noted, it only takes one nitpicker to ruin a perfect score. :(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We USED to put run numbers or 'DH' on the paper logs. Guess we never thought about it on the EOBR. Looks like we will start again.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
On our paper logs we have a place for the BOL or Shipment number. We either write that number in or EMPTY if we are DH'ing.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Looking at the EOBR it looks rather complicated. It was much easier on the paper logs. It will be a pain but we will get used to it. Looks like a lot of duplicate information from the logs. Poor programming.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you review fleet messages we've been told many times, before we even write our paper BOL, you go to the screen where you put in new load #. Put in number, starting date and ending date. If it's a three day load, it will put in that number on three days of logs. If your load, loads tomorrow, the number disappears, but will reappear at midnight when tomorrow actually starts. It's the first thing we do when we get a load because it's so easy to forget; and I don't have any extra money to pay cheap tickets. My understanding is our 12 digit load number is sufficient to be used in lieu of BOL #.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You would think with the amount of money that you pay, all that info would be in the system and included on the log sheet.

Again it seems that a company's it management has lost sight of what should be done more than to just get by.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Greg. Never could figure out why the system couldn't figure it out. Not hard to do. Easy to forget.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Greg. Never could figure out why the system couldn't figure it out. Not hard to do. Easy to forget.

The thing is can. There is no real reason other than laziness on the part of those who sponsor the project and those who make it happen. For many reasons I won't get into here because of the pom pom effect, I think that it is a simple but effective use of technology that is ignored.

Can you imagine a system that not just fills out the entire EOBR with the run info, but also can print off a waybill (BOL) once the actual freight facts (weight, etc..,) is put into the system by the driver?

If you think that it is far fetched, think again, the very system that one of the companies use can do exactly that.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I always put in the BOL. I do wonder if all the descriptions for duty changes are necessary. Pre and postrip of course are necessary, as well as freight securment. But what about fueling, loading, unloading?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are we calling our 12 digit load number the bol or are we talking about a shippers bol number that may be only a few digits ? I do not believe BOTH are required. I believe either one will do.

moose

Veteran Expediter
. My understanding is our 12 digit load number is sufficient to be used in lieu of BOL #.

no it's not,
you carrier is making the rules as they pleased,
no such things on the books,
it's an "blood sucking lawyer" in the making,
and you will be the one footing the bill.

BTW, :
§395.8(d)(11) dose not say "carrier trip #" or nothing like that.

"Question 14: What documents satisfy the requirement to show a shipping document number on a record of duty status as found in §395.8(d)(11)?

Guidance: The following are some of the documents acceptable to satisfy the requirement: shipping manifests, invoices/freight bills, trip reports, charter orders, special order numbers, bus bills or any other document that identifies a particular movement of passengers or cargo.

In the event of multiple shipments, a single document will satisfy the requirement. If a driver is dispatched on a trip, which is subsequently completed, and then is dispatched on another trip on that calendar day, two shipping document numbers or two shippers and commodities must be shown in the remarks section of the record of duty status."

good reading of a FMCSA published Q&A here :

Interpretation for 395.8: - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'll go out on a limb and say my hand written freight bill which is identified by our 12 digit load number is all that's required on my Fedex log. From pulling that doc using that number an auditor would have all that's required. I'm on an exteneded vacation so another Fed driver can verify, or prove me wrong, on Monday.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
All of the descriptions are necessary.
The DOT officer can check your log and compare it to fuel receipts.
I always put in the BOL. I do wonder if all the descriptions for duty changes are necessary. Pre and postrip of course are necessary, as well as freight securment. But what about fueling, loading, unloading?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moose,

I am told by the msp and Ohio state police that my waybill number is my shipment manifest and is required on my logs.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
"Question 14: What documents satisfy the requirement to show a shipping document number on a record of duty status as found in §395.8(d)(11)?

Guidance: The following are some of the documents acceptable to satisfy the requirement: shipping manifests, invoices/freight bills, trip reports, charter orders, special order numbers, bus bills or any other document that identifies a particular movement of passengers or cargo.
Moose, I think our hand written FedEx BOL would qualify as it does identify a particular movement of cargo. That is the number we put into the C-link for each trip.

I also think the only thing required for change in duty status is the name of the closest town, village or city. Our c-link automatically puts that information in every time either of our duty status changes.

Question 23: When the driver’s duty status changes, do §§395.8(c) or 395.8(h)(5) require a description of on-duty not driving activities (“fueling,” “pre-trip,” “loading,” “unloading,”, etc.) in the remarks section in addition to the name of the nearest city, town or village followed by the State abbreviation?
Guidance: No. Many motor carriers require drivers to identify work performed during a change of duty status. Part 395 neither requires nor prohibits this practice.
I don't think the descriptions are required.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
All of the descriptions are necessary.
The DOT officer can check your log and compare it to fuel receipts.

I never have receipts for anything with me. I trip pak any receipts I need to my company and pick up later. I use my fuel card reports for taxes and expense purposes, which I get online at end of month.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I've heard of an officer using a loyalty card to fueling history. You may want to keep them out of sight. Just remember, you may slip a phoney log by them in a roadside inspection, but in this day of cellphones, computers, and cameras; and if you are involved in the big wreck, the truth will come out. This logic convinced me to start running very legal around ten tears ago.